Parents TOPs state testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OMG! Can you imagine " oh you made it, oh wait no you didn't." How awful! How do you explain that to an 8, 9 or 10 year old.

We have no involvement in TOPs, but I am experiencing deja vu....hasn't this happened in previous years?? I remembering reading threads about it.

It seems they should delay results until everything has been checked and verified. My DD missed by a few points so even with errors I'm sure at this point she hasn't made it, but how hard on the parents who's kids made it. I would be so nervous until it was confirmed.

Dadderob-curious as to what will happen to the 10 year old that was listed as a 9 YO. Think they will move her to 10 and open up a 9 yo spot? My daughter is 9 and missed the cutoff by a few 10ths of a point. Has anyone had a child that was right on the cusp that was offered a spot because someone couldn't make it. Not that I want anyone to miss it but DD was so close!!!!

I have no idea. As far as I can tell they only correct mistakes. I don't know that they'll try to make up for mistakes, by allowing someone to test that didn't score high enough.

Remember the cut off is about X number of girls going to camp, not about making a specific score. Which is why the cut off changes yearly.

Otherwise USAG would put the score out before the testing sessions were even held. It is a numbers game.

flip - a few years ago, one of our girls was offered a spot that opened up, so it could be possible. It was, however, offered like a week before the testing, so due to cost of flights they weren't able to go.

Why is it not a good indicator of future success? Is it because other factors come play as the kids age? Just curious I would have thought it was a good predictor.

Nope not a good predictor at all. It is a good indicator that the kids who do well at TOPS are doing well at TOPs.

Kids do TOPs between the ages of 7 & 10. Many kids drop out of gym due to injury, burn out or just lack of interest between the ages of 11 and 14. Some of those kids will be TOPs kids, some of them will be non TOPs kids. Doing TOPs does not guarantee a child will stay in the gym.

Many kids who do not test for TOPs do extremely well. many kids who test for TOPs do extremely well. The program alone does not develop great gymnasts.

My point is, do not feel so bad if your child does not make it. Many things go into future success as a gymnast, not just testing TOPs and making national testing and the A team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back