Parents Total let down...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Exactly what GymDog and MeetDirector said. She should be able to compete out of session, it's done all the time. Then her scores will count for qualifying for States. Unless she is only in it for the awards..? :)
I'm sorry your gym dropped the ball on this. I would let her compete L4 at the remaining meets and hopefully just have a stellar finish to this season. Competing is different than training and there is nothing wrong with having higher level skills but competing where you are going to be successful (within reason... Others frown upon girls who could easily do L7 competing L4 just to win...). She's young and has plenty of time. She may even be able to score out of 5 next year!

Just be sure that before you get too critical of people at your gym, you know the whole story. Yes, miscommunication does sometimes happen and we've had gymnasts registered for wrong age groups or levels or had level changes not properly processed in a timely fashion. But coaches usually have some kind of thought process behind how they register gymnasts for meets, and you may not necessarily know with whom the fault lies. Head coaches and level coaches don't always agree on a particular gymnast's trajectory, and people registering athletes for meets usually don't do this independently of direction from coaches authorized to make decisions about levels and level changes.

Agreed. I'm sure the coaches didn't do this intentionally. They may have been waiting to make sure that she had all of her skills and she was prepared mentally and physically. I'm sure she will be happy to compete either way. Good luck at your last few meets.

No I don't think any of this was done intentionally. I love her coaches, she loves her coaches. They have gone above and beyond to make sure she's ready to compete lvl 5. But there is a disconnect between the front of the gym and what's going on in the gym and the truth is their lack of communication is now my daughters problem. There is still hope so they are not having her practice any lvl 4 routines and I'm not telling her anything until I have to.

It sounds like just a disconnect. If she hadn't scored out of 4 prior to the entry, she should have been entered as a 4 so that was done correctly. As far as now being ready to move up but no space in the 5 session, there shouldn't be an issue if they just ask for her to remain in the original session as a 5. If the coordinator doesn't understand the coaches need to be more proactive and explain or contact the meet host themselves.

Thats good news.

Unfortunately with meets it is not always possible to accomadate changes, because once you accomadate when the expectation is that all can be not always so. Glad it worked out.

And while not intentional there was clearly miscommunication at the home gym and a ball was dropped.

Alls well that ends well.

Meet directors can do amazing things, can't they? ;)

You just have to give them time to work the issue and yes, the change may happen at the last minute. They are dealing with a lot during the couple of weeks leading up to a meet, so give them a chance to work things. And definitely, let the communication be between the coach and the meet director; never attempt to contact the meet director as a parent.

Good Luck!

Meet directors can do amazing things, can't they? ;)

You just have to give them time to work the issue and yes, the change may happen at the last minute. They are dealing with a lot during the couple of weeks leading up to a meet, so give them a chance to work things. And definitely, let the communication be between the coach and the meet director; never attempt to contact the meet director as a parent.

Good Luck!

Yes they can... and I would never contact the meet director. A parent did that from our gym last year and the HC almost canceled the entire season for everyone!!
I am so relieved and happy that my dd never knew any of this was going on.

Congratulations! I hope she has a great meet. So glad it worked out.

Haha, one of the very new team dads was asking me and another parent about a meet schedule for one coming up soon and mentioned that he'd been in touch with the host gym and they didn't have it yet. He was honestly confounded when this other parent and I looked at each other and probably visibly blanched. We did tell him gently that in gymnastics, this is simply Not Done. The electronic lightning bolts directed at the entire team from our office manager arrived duly on schedule this morning.

Yikes. Live and learn though.

Glad she is in as a 5. My son is bouncing all around levels this season, and so far he has been lucky. But we wait and know he could compete either level at any given meet! LOL!

Congratulations! I hope she has a great meet. So glad it worked out.

Haha, one of the very new team dads was asking me and another parent about a meet schedule for one coming up soon and mentioned that he'd been in touch with the host gym and they didn't have it yet. He was honestly confounded when this other parent and I looked at each other and probably visibly blanched. We did tell him gently that in gymnastics, this is simply Not Done. The electronic lightning bolts directed at the entire team from our office manager arrived duly on schedule this morning.

I get these calls every year from parents. (I'm the office manager). I've had parents call and ask how many kids we have entered in their child's Level, if we have the session times yet, how is the parking....

UPDATE!!!

dd will be competing lvl 5 with her team!! The meet director was able to move things around. Nothing like waiting until 2 days before the meet. I'm so happy it all worked out. Whew!

Good news. Putting together a meet schedule is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. You have to make all the pieces fit and still have the right overall picture. It's not at all surprising that the meet director had to wait until a few days beforehand. Glad to hear that he or she was so accommodating.

I get these calls every year from parents. (I'm the office manager). I've had parents call and ask how many kids we have entered in their child's Level, if we have the session times yet, how is the parking....
So do you throw the parents under the bus with their home team, lol?;)
(I couldn't help asking....sorry...one too many glasses of vino this pm....)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back