Parents Training Hours at 5 years old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You think I don't understand what you're saying, and I do, but you don't understand what I was saying. What you described in your original posts, and following posts is too much. You think her body is a "fireball" and she could never burn out, etc., but she can easily overtrain and still "love it." I have seen gymnasts exactly like yours who have ended up with fractured backs at 8 years old from overtraining. I'm just saying that she cannot set foot in a level 3 meet until she turns 6, and then level 4 until the day she turns 7. That's a long time before she can even do a score out meet to move up. They shouldn't have to "convince her" to stop jumping to the high bar or wandering into the gym to do back handsprings when she shouldn't be--that's a little unnerving. I understand following her lead, but she is a child and needs guidance, she doesn't need to lead on this. I know you won't like this, that's why I said it won't be popular, but am on my 3rd gymnast, and the heartbreak we've experienced from injury and overtraining with my 1st daughter, and the heartbreak I've witnessed in other amazing and promising gymnasts who end up retiring at age 13 because of injury, is enough to see the red flags in your post.

My point was, she's training a level she isn't ready for if you have to do private lessons, even if its just to learn the routines--which she doesn't even need to learn. The number of hours you listed is too much for her body, even if neither of you think so. (I know my words of caution will fall on deaf ears, so I don't know why I bother, so I'll just say good luck.)
Brilliant post, and its what many of us are trying to say.

So what would you do?
Do less. No privates, obviously. No reason for them at this stage in the game. Make less more. There is a lot in your post that screams injury risk and burnout....you just cant see it. Said kindly, many of us have either been there, or witnessed these kids of situations. I am sure you think we are all crazy and your child is different. But even though she is still wanting more, i would make the want even more, if you can understand that. Your post about how there are many things to try if she gets burnt out with gym spoke volumes. She is 5. You should be trying those things now. Get her in a ballet class, swim, soccer, ice skating, tball, art, piano, ANYTHING! This is the time to do all those things. Many girls who are young optionals are so grateful their parents have given them those options, so they know there are other things out there if they end up unable to do gym due to injury or get burnt out. It sounds like your child has tons of energy, so try these things now!!! And she might surprise you and find another passion you never thought possible.

Like the poster above said, I am sure you will think we are all crazy. But we are speaking from experience. Good luck to you.

Do less. No privates, obviously. No reason for them at this stage in the game. Make less more. There is a lot in your post that screams injury risk and burnout....you just cant see it. Said kindly, many of us have either been there, or witnessed these kids of situations. I am sure you think we are all crazy and your child is different. But even though she is still wanting more, i would make the want even more, if you can understand that. Your post about how there are many things to try if she gets burnt out with gym spoke volumes. She is 5. You should be trying those things now. Get her in a ballet class, swim, soccer, ice skating, tball, art, piano, ANYTHING! This is the time to do all those things. Many girls who are young optionals are so grateful their parents have given them those options, so they know there are other things out there if they end up unable to do gym due to injury or get burnt out. It sounds like your child has tons of energy, so try these things now!!! And she might surprise you and find another passion you never thought possible.

Like the poster above said, I am sure you will think we are all crazy. But we are speaking from experience. Good luck to you.

So if she stays in this class they do the routine. I let her solidify those mistakes when a one hour private fixes it? I wish there was a class with no routines for her age. Or a level 2 routine. She would love it.

Reactions: sce
A 1 hour private will only fix it for a short time. She is 5...and even 10 year olds dont keep skills learned from a private if they are in a class like what you describe.
Get her in some other activities.
She is in Girl Scouts, smimming, piano, and going to summer camp for two weeks this summer. Does she need more?

Reactions: sce
I think what people are saying is it’s okay to leave her wanting ‘more’ gymnastics for awhile. She’s 5 learning level 3 routines. So she learns them, practices, prefects, then finally competes when she is 6. That’s a long time- what about when she’s 6, finally old enough to compete level 3, and is already bored of the same routines she’s been doing since she was 5? What then? She has years and years to compete and excel in gymnastics.

Also, I know other have said this but I’d be very wary that the coaches had to ‘convince’ her not to jump to the high bar. My (level 3) had one practice where their regular coaches were not there, and some older girls got it in their minds to jump to the high bar without permission. When their head coach got wind of it- well, believe me there was no convincing, the kids knew that if they ever pulled something like that again, there would be serious consequences. I don’t care if your kid (and I don’t mean yours specifically, just in general) is made of bouncy ball material, leaps like a gazelle, and soars like a flying squirrel, it only takes ONE accident to be badly injured.

I can't tell the coaches how to coach or run their gym. I also don't want to be the "bad" guy but I did some reading on the high bar and I was the one who had to put down the rules on that and she was furious with me. We can't switch gyms, there are no other options within a reasonable driving distance for us. We are in a dud area.

No, less. Let her burn off some of that energy at the playground. Or doing crafts. Or daydreaming while she runs around the backyard.
I can assure you there is plenty of this! Seriously, we are good parents and informed about balance and rest and break time. She doesn't however get much tv and no tablet time, so there is a LOT of time to fill.

I sometimes think of gymnastics as a giant mountain that my daughter wants to climb. Right now she is determined to get to the top one day (for her that means level 10), but I know it's an incredibly steep mountain and few do make it to the top. The climbing may get too hard, there will be injuries, or she may discover something else she'd rather do. But, if at age 5 you load up your kid's pack and start sending her up the mountain there is a good chance she'll break before making it even a quarter of the way up. Let her play at the bottom of the mountain, and slowly learn the steps she needs to begin the journey safely. Don't worry about her training enough hours at 5, or scheduling privates to learn a routine she can't compete for a year.

No, less. Let her burn off some of that energy at the playground. Or doing crafts. Or daydreaming while she runs around the backyard.

Yes this. Teach her to be a child who knows how to occupy her own spare time.

I have a son who is older I never let him learn this simple life trait. He is now paying for my mistake.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean, they are simply offering their experiences hoping you can see the good in the message.

My DD was selected for preteam at 5 and I nicely declined because I felt it was too much for a kid entering kindergarten. The following year they placed her on level 3, she learned her routines and did fabulous. Being on team is not just about the physical abilities. If your daughter is still wandering off and pushing the boundaries with the coaches, she simply isn't ready for team. Putting her in rec "with 5-7 year olds that know nothing" wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

Are these level 3 girls that your daughter is training with going to level 4 next year? If so, why can't she train with the new incoming level 3's that come after this season is over?

In a year, her coaches don’t think they can fix whatever issues there are with her routines? That has me concerned. My son’s coach feels like privates should be a rare thing. If they have to do privates regularly, it means that he is doing something wrong with their regular practices. They have plenty of time to make any corrections needed. If they don’t think they do, that’s what has me worried. Again, as other posters have said though, feel free to ignore me. Boys don’t start competing until level 4. My son started learning the routines more than a year prior. Were there things to fix? Definitely, but it was all fixed over the course of this year and last. And he still makes mistakes. And that is fine!

Thank you all for your advice. I will be depart
My DD was selected for preteam at 5 and I nicely declined because I felt it was too much for a kid entering kindergarten. The following year they placed her on level 3, she learned her routines and did fabulous. Being on team is not just about the physical abilities. If your daughter is still wandering off and pushing the boundaries with the coaches, she simply isn't ready for team. Putting her in rec "with 5-7 year olds that know nothing" wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

Are these level 3 girls that your daughter is training with going to level 4 next year? If so, why can't she train with the new incoming level 3's that come after this season is over?

No this is the combined preteam/team. So there are about half that don't compete yet. My best friend is a gymnastics judge and did competitive gym and she is the one who suggested the privates. The coach seemed fine with it so they did it. This is way out of hand. She's five just being five. I am a college professor who was just trying to do their research and save my sofa and towel racks from being destroyed. Thank you all for your advice, but I would like to close this conversation now.

I am a college professor who was just trying to do their research and save my sofa and towel racks from being destroyed
I know you're done with this thread, and I respect that. I just want to say three things:
  1. This really is a valuable forum. Please continue to come back and use it as a resource, even if you never post again.
  2. When one posts on an internet forum, one never knows what kind of responses to expect. Sometimes one is taken aback by the responses received.
  3. Very young gymnasts are something a lot of members in this community are VERY passionate about. Not knowing you, your daughter, your judge friend, your daughter's coaches, or the gym, they can really only respond based on their own world view, which has been formed by their personal experiences (which may be different from yours). With the level of passion on the topic, you have received some very strong, while fairly respectful opinions
Wishing you all the best, and hoping your towel racks and sofa survive. :D

the kid is a bomb shell and not a good listener. She is a boundary pusher. They have finally convinced her to stop jumping to the high bar (doing a squat on) and not wander into the gym during their break time to do backhandsprings off the tumble trak.

Really! If she isn't mature enough to listen she is in the wrong class.

If she can't do as she is told ie not jumping to the high bar (hello broken elbows) she is in the wrong class.

If she thinks it is ok to wander into the gym and do handsprings when she should be on break she is in the wrong class.

That is terrible behaviour. As a coach she would be sat right out of my class until she could listen, it is a safety hazard. The coaches should be coaching all the children gymnastics. Not babysitting a 5 year old who isn't mature enough to do as she is told yet and is pushing boundaries all the time. No wonder she couldn't cope with the 'intense team' at the other club. She needs a safe fun environment.

Personally I would take her out altogether and run her round the park every day instead to burn energy. Make it clear that listening, following instructions and rules and not pushing the boundaries with behaviour are non negotiable at gymnastics for safety reasons. Tell her she can go back in a year and try again. Make it clear it is not her fault, she just needs to be a little older. Believe me she will have missed nothing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back