Parents Training Hours at 5 years old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think some people are being unnecessarily harsh in this thread. It doesn't sound like you are being taken for a ride ($15 dollar private vs. $75 in our area) and the 4 or 5 hours she is at the gym/week seems fine as well. I wish you and your DD all the best in your gymnastics journey.

Not every gym or coach is the same as yours and your experience. I tried to breach the subject with her coach of her doing other things while the girls worked on the routine but she never did anything different and I wanted to support the coach even though there are many things I don’t agree with. Many girls repeat level 3 and there are a number in her training group who did not compete this year either so she’s not alone. I do worry about her getting bored but she hasn’t yet and understands she has to be 6 for level 3 and 7 for level 4 ( but could move to optionals age wise)

Also, why can’t a 5 year old do a back hand spring? She can connect two too. Is this a problem? She just does it.

Also it is only a marathon if your goal is level 10 or something long term. I am not sure I want her competing past level 7 or 8 some day, but for now the skills come easy and she is having a blast.
Kids bones are still developing and doing a lot if arching too early can be hard on the back. As for the marathon, the point is there are many years ahead, whatever level they ultimately achieve. How can you say now you might not let her compete past a certain level? What do you plan to do when she is a level 8 and wants to keep going in sport? Tell your (very likely at that point) middle schooler to quit a sport she loves and has spent years working hard and growing in?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back