WAG Training in another gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
Just curious if it is common/possible for a gymnast from the uk to visit and train in a us gym while on holiday? I'm not looking at her learning anything just the experience of being with different coaches and girls different methods. Are u.s gyms open to this?

People do it all the time. Check with your coaches first and then contact a club where you will stay. It is fun to see what other kids do.

On a couple of long trips my girls worked out in the US once and the UK once. All the kids had a blast. Though we did it in summer and not meet/comp season.

One of the UK coaches we met is even a member here now, pure coincidence.

Great thanks I know I have read about the u.s girls training at u.s gyms while on holiday but wasn't sure if they would be accepting of a u.k girl. Do you know what kind of training she will do open gym, rec be allowed to train with a team she's roughly about a level 4 over with some 5 and 6 skills but she's not a pretty gymnast still get slaughter for bent knees she does try in competitions the difference is massive compared to practice but girls over there just seem so much more polished lol I just don't want her to spend the whole time being told straighten your legs (although I know this is very important) I want it to be fun for her!

Mine joined the level they were a fit for. Told the coaches her skills and they just did the regular team workouts. At both gyms they asked to see our Canadian routines. In the US the kids were definitely intrigued by each other's routines and skills.

Thanks guys she's well aware of her knees and when her coach is watching but if she can get away with them she will lol. She was very excited at the possibility of being able to train over there now to get her coaches to agree that's a different matter altogether lol

Trust me, if the coaches know that she's not part of their "team", then she won't be ;)reminded of those darned knees

I don't think our coach would be able to help herself, but your DD would still have a blast! She would be able to train with the team, and they would just go by her skills what level she was put with. Most of the girls come every time they're in town!

Great thanks I know I have read about the u.s girls training at u.s gyms while on holiday but wasn't sure if they would be accepting of a u.k girl. Do you know what kind of training she will do open gym, rec be allowed to train with a team she's roughly about a level 4 over with some 5 and 6 skills but she's not a pretty gymnast still get slaughter for bent knees she does try in competitions the difference is massive compared to practice but girls over there just seem so much more polished lol I just don't want her to spend the whole time being told straighten your legs (although I know this is very important) I want it to be fun for her!

She should be allowed to practice with team members of her same level. Check practice hours. Some gyms may practice more hours than your daughter is accustomed. Most U.S. Gyms are very accommodating and will welcome your daughter.

DD's gym has had a couple of girls from other countries come and work out with them for a few weeks (most recent was last summer a girl from the Netherlands came over for 2 weeks)...all the girls had a blast, though the first few days sounded like more of an interrogation! (They wanted to know everything about gymnastics in her country and I think she was a bit overwhelmed with her sudden rockstar status!).

I agree with Moxiegrl83...If you are paying the tuition for her to work out, she will be treated like any other girl on the team. HC is a perfectionist, so bent knees would be fussed about, I could almost guarantee that. Hopefully your DD wouldn't be too put off by it as the purpose of training is to make things better and more consistent, no? I don't think, however, that it would negate any fun she would be having with her temporary teammates...After all, she is on holiday, correct? ;)

And from what I have hear take a credit card with a large balance on it !

We went to a club in France with P&F when we on holiday last year and she enjoyed it, although the language barrier was there, but she found the style very different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back