Coaches Training under other Coaches at other gyms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it offensive to ask certain gyms if you could come and train under their coaches (Optional)
My owner doesn't send us to a lot "Any" training clinics. I've done great so far getting knowledge and
learning on my own. But their is still lots to learn. Is it tacky to ask? I know the decision is theirs I was
just wondering.

No...not at all. Some clubs may say "no"...but that's all.

Make sure that you are open with the owner of your club about this.

Go for it! If you get some time off, want to use it visiting a gym, and can find a coach (ahead of time) who'll let you be their shadow you'll either learn more or learn that you know more than you thought you did. Start calling/emailing at the top of your wish list and work your way down.

If you have the time, do so. As JBS said, let the owners know so they don't think you are trying to check out another gym.

You might piss off other coaches at your gym, especially the senior coaches but I have heard of coaches doing this when recognizable national level coaches were nearby.

If you have the time, do so. As JBS said, let the owners know so they don't think you are trying to check out another gym.

You might piss off other coaches at your gym, especially the senior coaches but I have heard of coaches doing this when recognizable national level coaches were nearby.
==
good point, check with your head coach first.
I brought my team coaches to a gym about an hour and a half away, it was nice to get fresh ideas etc... We are also going to the ranch in a few weeks with 16 of our top athletes. I am a firm believer in, "if you think you know it all, then it's time to retire". Our sport is ever changing, and sharing knowledge is money...

I firmly believe that nobody knows what they don't know, and the only safe presumption is that I only know enough, but can always learn a little more.

I like that "if you think you know it all, then it's time to retire" .... I so agree with that! Sadly my owner actually told me he doesn't want me taking coaching advice from anyone but him. That didn't fly by with me ... that is NOT going to happen.

If you feel you're being simply employed, and not mentored, see if you can tag along with a senior staff member during their coaching time. I suppose that would be the next best thing as long as the gym you're at is doing a good job training kids. It bothers me that your club owner is so quick to oppose efforts to self improve your knowledge, but then again there's always the risk of you trying out your "new ideas" and confusing everybody else who's reading from the owners script.

Hi I am just starting out in coaching and I have found it invaluable to go to different clubs it gives you so many more ideas for drills, different perspectives and so on, as well as seeing what can be done with different training equipment.I think it can only benefit you and your club, but Yes you need to be honest and open with everyone.

We did a "camp" last year...one day at our club...one day at the other club. It was for optionals...it was awesome to see what others are doing by coaching side by side with them. This is why I like coaching at camps like Lake Owen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back