Parents Trusting the coach. . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Galadriel

Proud Parent
Okie doke
Seasoned parent here. Teen gymnast.
Dd coming home with wrist and lower back and knee pain.
Mom need ice .
Me - this important comp in 3 weeks - why Dont we skip it and get you right and concentrate on the one in September ?
Her - i really want to do this one - x - my biggest rival from another club who i never beat isnt competing so i have a chance of winning.
Me - lets call your coach. See what she says coz i am worried about you getting injured/aggravating current injuries.
Coach says she wants her to compete. Says they can work around injury. Also says dd doesnt say something hurts initially - she can do 1 great routine then say she cant due to pain.
I am worried about long term.
Asked coach how can we work together? Tell me what you want me to do and what you will do.
She said i have to feed her right and make sure she gets enough sleep. She will work around appropriate conditioning with her injury but dd needs to tell her (a problem )
I am still scared for dd although i do trust coach Dont want a youngster injured past repair!
I am still c g m after 13 years!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about current day, but in mine, 35 years ago, the sports med community was of the belief that working on an "injury" would not increase, in most cases, the extent of the injury.

I'm a HUGE advocate of trusting coaches, but ... sometimes Momma (or Poppa) know best when it comes to long term health. Is there any room for compromise? Maybe a week of conditioning without the heavy training just to see how it comes along. I'm not sure you noted the nature of the injury, but if it's a leg injury maybe she can continue to train on bars or dance elements? My DD had some knee pain last year, and I just remember it made her really tentative with her training because she was worried about injuring it further. If your DD has any of reaction like that, then will she really even perform well??? Wish I could give you a better answer but lightening the schedule for at least a brief period doesn't seem to be unreasonable.

Yes I agree with Esoteric - Have her seen by a DR and get an opinion that has the training to deal with pain and injury. There will be plenty of meets down the road and sometimes we don't always get what we want.

well...

strike 1: wrist
strike 2: low back
strike 3: knee

her wrist and knee are most likely on opposite sides. left wrist right knee or right wrist left knee. she is super compensating and i'll bet her back hurts at the SI joint. get this all checked. there is something wrong.

I'm all for trusting the coach but it's an injury! Can't you take your daughter to the doctor (sports med) and at least get an ok for training? We have a few girls with breaks and stress fractures who thought they just had sprains. Working out on that is how you end up with permanent damage- think osteoarthritis .

Update
Apparently she has loose cartilage in her knee and something in her back was 'out of alignment' - had some treatment and feels somewhat better.

well...

strike 1: wrist
strike 2: low back
strike 3: knee

her wrist and knee are most likely on opposite sides. left wrist right knee or right wrist left knee. she is super compensating and i'll bet her back hurts at the SI joint. get this all checked. there is something wrong.

AGREE 100%!!!!! Back pain is NOT to be trifled with!! If you search for old posts here on CB, you'll see all kinds of back issues that were finally diagnosed as either stress fractures, spondylolysis, or worse yet, spongylolisthesis...... Gymnastics is temporary, these kids need their backs for the rest of their lives!!! Many coaches will still insist that the girls (and boys) work out through injury. Not a good idea. Please have her checked out.

I didn't mean it Isnt an injury.
It certainly needs some action. Just glad we went to find out. Although i came away not really understanding what loose cartilage means.

Coaches are not doctors. Yes, they know a lot about the human body, but doctors know a huge amount more. You should trust your dd's coach, but you need to make the medical decisions based on what the doctor says...not leave it up to the coach. Some coaches are very "old school" and will want to "work through the pain." That is never wise. Your child has to live with this body their entire lives and having chronic knee or back problems is not fun. It's not just gymnastics coaches either...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back