Twist issues...!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After 8 gymnastics lessons, I am now learning full twisting fronts (off trampoline onto mat at same level).

I can do a half twist just fine, but as soon as I try a full I end up doing a barani half-out... It's because, as I try to complete the last half, I kinda go sideways back the same way (as opposed to twisting 360 and landing with a blind landing). My head stays looking at the ground the whole time, which is part of the problem.

I was hoping there might be some way to learn how to complete the twist properly? Anything that would help my brain and body not be so confused!

Sorry if that's really confusing, if needed I can explain it again! :eek:

Last edited:
okay i really dont know but just be more powerfull and go for it

That is a very common problem. Are you sure of your twist direction? Just because you do carwheels or roundoff's with your right foot leading does not mean that is your natural twist direction. Many people sturggle with this for quite of lenght of time, months, years. You really have to go back to the basics and if you have only had 8 gymnastics lessons and you are attempting this, I would have to guess that you did not do many drills to build up to it. Jump full turns, full turns from your back on trampoline, front layout jump half turn, then jump full turn, rolls on your stomach to your stomach in a tight straight shape. I'm sure your coach may have some others. I know how badly you want the skill but if you throw away the drills you might be stuck. And a barani is a completly different skill than a full. A lot of people do barani's like a roundoff with no hands and that won't work for a full. As far as what to look at for front fulls I say look towards the shoulder you are twisting towards, then spot forward to land. Good luck this is a tough skill to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh ok, thank you! Oops, I should have mentioned, the reason I pointed out the 8 lessons, was because I wanted to see if it was the precise reason for the skill not working. I just go to open gym, being 19 and there not being classes for people that age :) There is one coach there but he is usually busy with helping people to learn the basics.

I just wanted to point out the number of classes so far, just in case it made a difference on whether I should be learning twists yet or if it's too soon! Which it is, so thanks heaps for confirming that for me. I did wonder! :D

Since I can't compete (no competitions for over 16yrs here) I've just been enjoying learning new skills.

Last edited:
The second half of a full twisting front flip is blind. A barani is not blind and you get to see where you are and where you are going at all times. To prepare for the second half of a full twisting front it might help to get the feeling of the blind part.

Stand in a pike with your hands on your knees. You are about to do a jump half turn. Look at the floor. Take your hands off your knees and wrap to the side that your barani twists. At the same time jump into the air and straighten up with a half turn and look away from the floor to the ceiling. Land facing the other way from where you started. This is the blind landing I was talking about. This also simulates the second half of the full. Get the feeling and remember it.

Which way do you twist? This is a good question when you are using a barani as a reference to learn a full. A right round off type of barani is really a left twisting barani.

A left round off type of barani is really a right twisting barani.

If you are doing a left round off type of barani then you will need to pull your arms to the right shoulder for the full and look away from the floor to the right shoulder on the second half of the full twist.

If you are doing a right round off type of barani then you will need to pull your arms to the left shoulder on the second half of the twist and take your eyes off the floor at the end for the blind landing as you turn into the left shoulder.

Do not stiffen your legs and this will prevent a straight leg landing. Land by bending your knees until you get used to landing blind.

It is very common for someone starting out to not take their eyes off the floor and twist the full back the way it came and end up with nothing.

Another method is to do a hip turn out at the end. Using this method means that you can keep your eyes on the floor until the last possible moment. As you finish your barani, turn the opposite hip out. In other words if you leaned into the right hip to start a left barani then you will swivel the left hip out at the end.

If you leaned into the left hip to start a right barani then just before you land you will need to swivel your right hip out at the end to face both hips the in the other direction.

Another method is to do a pike at the beginning of the flip and not start the barani until after you open the pike. This results in a late twist which lends itself to going in the same twisting direction for another half turn. The Que for this is Pike-open-full. Or Pike-open-wrap. Again, land with bent knees until you get used to landing blind. Especially using this late twisting method.

Pineapple Lump: that is true, there is the masters games (since at 19 I am too old for secondary school competitions:)). You're also correct about the club rule! None of the 5 gyms in my city coach over 16yrs, it's only gyms in the south island which is where the games are held. I'm doing my best to try get some proper coaching but the main issue, according to the people I have spoken to, is that they don't have coaches who can spot adults :(

So I continue to teach myself for now! (With the excellent help found on this site of course :D)

Wait, are you saying that with only 8 lessons, you've started learning fulls?

1. You're obviously extremely talented and I'm jeleous.

2. You're coach is an idiot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back