Coaches Type of Turn Prep

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gralch1

Coach
I was wondering what type of turn prep you prefer. Is there an advantage to using lunge position vs step to releve into turn? In your experience does one facilitate 2/1 on floor. Do you use same prep on floor as beam?

Our head coach likes the lunge in. Yes we teach exactly the same for beam. I feel you get a better snap up to releve from a lunge. We also teach a leg swing out and round before the snap up to releve to initiate the spin. I don't know if that is better or not as I have only taught it that way although it isn't how I used to spin when I learned gym and dance. Our head coach also likes them to lower the foot from releve to flat to stop the turn. This does work well on beam.

As gymnut. In addition, we emhpasise the bent arm moving out (straightening) before lifting abouve the head. On beam full turn should be controlled enough to finish with a toe-toe step forwards e.g turn on left foot, step forwards on right toe then step right toe close to it (still behind) to a tight releve.
On floor they finish by lowering the heel. I'm not exactly sure about why we teach the different feet. The arm out-up stops the gymnasts twisting her shoulders and makes her use her hips.

I teach the prep both ways. When I first introduce girls to turns I teach from a straight leg. I feel when they are able to successfully turn from a straight leg start, it shows they are really understanding the skill. When turns are done correctly from a straight leg I feel it looks nicer/taller/more exact and the gymnast typically needs a tighter body with this style. However if it just isn't working for a particular gymnast, I will do the lunge prep. When girls hit optionals and begin to double turn, I tend to prefer a lunge start.

On beam: I always start w a straight leg, high releve start for the youngest kids- and I never let them plie out! Same technique for everyone in level 4. In level 5/6, they can start in a lunge, but I have them do both and see what works best for each kid. I never let them plie out bc they always plie early and I do not like the look of it! I try to have the level 7's and up have their turns that finish on releve and hold, then step.

On floor, straight leg from a plie for level 4-everyone else from a lunge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back