WAG Typical Start of Season Scores?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
My daughters had their first meet of the season yesterday and they did well. It was a small meet so they placed well...second AA for both of them. The level 9 fell on beam and got a 36.4 and the level 7 fell on bars and got a 36.425. I was wondering what you all think typical start of season scores are. Thanks

I think there is no typical. Some kids start low and stay low, some start low and grow throughout the season, and some start high. What is low/high is also subjective. My girl had her first meet yesterday and got a 35.05. It was her highest AA in JO ever, but hopefully her lowest of this season. There were plenty of 38 pluses yesterday though. Personally I don’t get starting the season quite that high- especially if it’s whole teams- it makes me wonder why some of those girls haven’t moved up.. but that’s just me. My DD She typically started seasons around 32, which is super low to many people, but that’s just where she was.

For my kid personally. After years of watching her and meets. She has typically started where I expected her too. Some years higher, some lower.

She started this year where I expected she would. I did have to readjust my expectations by event. She has gotten stronger on events I didn't expect her to based on the past. And stronger on the ones she was previously stronger on at the moment.

So she is right where I expected her to be.

Personally I don’t get starting the season quite that high- especially if it’s whole teams- it makes me wonder why some of those girls haven’t moved up...
My feeling on this is that their uptraining stops earlier, therefore they have less skills (so they can't move up) and their form is better, because they have had much more time perfecting everything. Not sure of this is true though...

My feeling on this is that their uptraining stops earlier, therefore they have less skills (so they can't move up) and their form is better, because they have had much more time perfecting everything. Not sure of this is true though...
The L6s (the session I watched) could easily win at L7 too- they’re already doing the skills in L6. These two particular teams showed these high scores on every level. They are very serious high hours gyms and I find it hard to believe they aren’t uptraining year-round, personally. It is a competition sport, though, and they’re in it to win it. I can’t blame them really, but it just doesn’t line up with my mind set. It’s not the first time we’ve seen gyms compete down from where they train to ensure wins/placements, and it won’t be the last. It works out that it’s not for us because those gyms wouldn’t take my girl anyway. Ha.

The L6s (the session I watched) could easily win at L7 too- they’re already doing the skills in L6. These two particular teams showed these high scores on every level. They are very serious high hours gyms and I find it hard to believe they aren’t uptraining year-round, personally. It is a competition sport, though, and they’re in it to win it. I can’t blame them really, but it just doesn’t line up with my mind set. It’s not the first time we’ve seen gyms compete down from where they train to ensure wins/placements, and it won’t be the last. It works out that it’s not for us because those gyms wouldn’t take my girl anyway. Ha.
Mine is a L7 who would be a podium finisher at L6.

She is scoring lower at L7 then she would of at 6. But we and she are very glad she is doing 7. She knows she has work to do to improve and if she was doing 6 she wouldn't be working the skills for 7/8 like she is at 7. The philosophy of the gym has changed a bit. In the past they would of kept her back and in complete fairness her bars were just never ready. Her bars are not where they should be now but doable at 7. And she would of up trained but not focused on it during the season. So last year 6 was a good place for her. This year staying back would not of been good for anything but scores.

There won't be many podium finishes out of the gate this year but her skills are getting stronger and growing. They are good enough to qualify for states. So now she can just focus on improvement. That is what really matters. And she as happy as I ever seen her at gym. The wins she does get I think she appreciates much more.

It depends on so many factors- state/region, level, what meet you were at. We have one early season meet that scores notoriously high, so we have to have a chat with the kids afterwards that those scores are not the expectation.

Is this the first time your kids have competed? Seems a little odd of a question coming from the parent of a L7 and L9 unless your DDs are brand new to competition.

Why is it odd from a parent of a gymnast who has competed before. I have thought from time to time that it seems a gym is holding a kid back and have discussed with gym mom friends about kids starting the season (especially this early, most of our spring season kids haven't started yet) at 36+... are they missing a skill or why else isn't the gym letting this kid move up? A kid starting season at a 38 certainly seems like barring a block that maybe the kid should be moved up. AT least in my area, I have rarely seen 38AAs outside of Xcel (and even limited in Xcel).

Why is it odd from a parent of a gymnast who has competed before. I have thought from time to time that it seems a gym is holding a kid back and have discussed with gym mom friends about kids starting the season (especially this early, most of our spring season kids haven't started yet) at 36+... are they missing a skill or why else isn't the gym letting this kid move up? A kid starting season at a 38 certainly seems like barring a block that maybe the kid should be moved up. AT least in my area, I have rarely seen 38AAs outside of Xcel (and even limited in Xcel).
I thought the same as nutterbutter. If the parent has been around meets, they they know what a typical early season score is for their gym and competing gyms in their areas. It is area/region based and dependent on local gyms. As others have said, it is impossible to answer due to these variables. typical for what? For a powerhouse gym? a gym that allows their girls to compete the bare minimums? Even within the same gym, you may have huge ranges, if the gym allows gymnasts to compete without all their skills perfected, which would not fly in other gyms. Just too many variables.

Yes, I agree with you @2G1B .

It just seems that OP would have some insight on her kids situation and know the answer. Unless her kids don't have any or much competition experience (maybe they were fast tracked and scored out of compulsory?).

There are kids in DDs gym who will start the season at 36. But that doesn't mean they are ready for the next level and are sandbagging. And I know my DD will not start the season at 36 but usually hits this mid way through. And some kids in DDs group don't add much to their AA score during the season. My point, and as others have also said, is that there's no way of knowing. And I'm just surprised that a parent of an upper level optional doesn't know this. (Unless her children don't have much experience which is possible because they are young).

Is this the first time your kids have competed? Seems a little odd of a question coming from the parent of a L7 and L9 unless your DDs are brand new to competition.
It was more of a question to see what others experience at the start of the season and its my level 7s first optional meet so i was wondering because my L9 went from level 5 to level 5 so i was wondering what scores are usual for level 7s

It was more of a question to see what others experience at the start of the season and its my level 7s first optional meet so i was wondering because my L9 went from level 5 to level 5 so i was wondering what scores are usual for level 7s

I get it you were just looking to hold a conversation about how a gymnast scores start the season and how they improve as the season progresses. I have no idea why others choose not to simply discuss the topic.

My DD usually improves as the season progresses. I will be interested to see this year as the coach has given her a new bar routine after the first meet. She was upset as she is worried she won't score as well, it's a harder routine.

If the coach is trying to make the gymnast meet their full potential, I guess the question is how does the coach define potential. I personally define it as reaching for the pinnacle of the sport within your abilities. So if a gymnast' s ceiling is level 9 that gymnast would first achieve that level and then be the best 9 he or she can become.

I'm a little confused because your sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying your Level 9 never competed Level 7 or Level 8? I thought both of those levels required at least a score out meet...is there a typo in your post or how did your daughter get to Level 9?

I'm a little confused because your sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying your Level 9 never competed Level 7 or Level 8? I thought both of those levels required at least a score out meet...is there a typo in your post or how did your daughter get to Level 9?
Yes sorry there was a typo she went from level 5 to level 8 and then to level 9

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back