Parents Ugh, bratty little child..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Please......please point out to me where in my post I call another young child a name and say she shouldn't be on the team or in the class with my child because of how much better she is than the other child? In fact, I believe I implied the opposite is true....that Bella is one of the weaker gymmies on her team.

It was not said that you had called another child a name, but you pulled the original poster up for bragging about her child to put another down, then went on to post..

People have made snide comments about how much better it is for gymmies not to skip levels like my child did because it makes them better gymnasts and they do this within my earshot. Yes, my kid can use a lot of polishing and she is more immature than the kids who are at least 2 years older than her on the team. But my little 8YO is also the ONLY one on her team training giants, the only one on her team who has landed the BHS on beam, etc.

So please, be very careful before you get full of yourself about how good your child is and how bratty another child is. Your kid probably won't always be the best and sometimes those little brats have something special that their coach can see. Just another viewpoint.....

This is not saying or implying that your child is the weakest in her team... more that she is special and superior and that others make snide comments about her because of it.

Everyone's child is special.

Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree. I specifically say my kid isn't as polished. In compulsories that is costly. In addition i believe i specifically state her weaknesses in at least two other posts. Not sure that i can clarify any further. Like i said, being good isn't the only contribution a gymnast can make.

And my beef with the op has nothing to do with her thinking her child is great. We all do. I just can't stomach someone publicly calling a 4Yo names and saying she shouldn't be in a class because she isn't good enough. And even more disturbing that aparently so many people think this ok to do. No wonder we are becoming such an uncivil society....do we seriously now think it's okay to name call? Please tell me i'm not the only one who still teaches kids that we don't call others names? ????

Agreeing to disagree is fine, but can you see why you gave that impression? Part of the problem with internet forums is that you can't see the other person;s expression, or hear their tone of voice...

The OP was an adult venting to other adults. That does not mean that she or anyone else goes round teaching their kids to namecall... I don't know where you got that from...

Even the OP has given up venting now. Not sure this was a great welcome to the Chalkbucket for her.

I think we should all be able to agree that some people just need to disagree.

Either take this thread back to the OP's vent or move away.

Either take this thread back to the OP's vent or move away.

I would make it a habit to not watch the class, I would mention to the coach to maybe keep an eye out for the bad behaviour, and I would tell my daughter to say to the other girl, "If you kick me or push me or bug me again I am telling." And then do it.

Good luck!

I liked the idea of wearing her out with burpees, LOL!

It's pretty common to make the boys do sprinting randomly at times. Either as a group or as "encouragement" to get their act together.

We have some issues in DD's group with strong competitive personalities clashing, and this has resulted in some unacceptable physical behaviour. Luckily DD's coach was the one who decided she was not willing to put up with it, so she called a lunch meeting of the parents and we hashed it out. It's too early to know if things have improved, as all this happened right before a meet that we've just come back from. But the worst offender seems to be the youngest in the group who skipped a level and is slightly behind the others in some ways. We have speculated that she may be feeling a bit inferior when she can't do a few of the things they can, and is taking it out on the others. There's usually a group of teens who train at the same time and they have agreed to keep an eye out too because our coach can't be everywhere at once. We are hoping that we can redirect or correct this misbehaviour as soon as it happens, every time it happens, and hopefully better habits will be created. This same girl was also suspended for a week recently, and that will happen with any cases of serious misbehaviour from now on (after their first 2 strikes). These girls are ages 8 - 10 so they can understand consequences. The 4 year old in the OP might have to be dealt with slightly differently due to her age, but she does need dealing with before her behaviour becomes an entrenched habit.

There was a girl in my daughter's first rec class who would dance around, climb on the equipment, push other kids, and throw crying fits in order to get attention. She once pushed my daughter off the high beam, and she pushed another kid off the end of the tumble track. Whenever another kid performed better than she did, she would throw a tantrum.

The girl's mother got so sick of watching the drama that she met with the coach and together they implemented an incentive program in which the girl earned stickers for good behavior, and when she collected a certain number of stickers her mother gave her a small prize. This only worked because it was initiated by the parent of the misbehaving child and supported by the coach, though. And I still had to remind my daughter before every class that she should do her best to avoid standing next to this kid in line, and should say "Stop that!" loud enough for the coach to notice whenever the kid started shoving her.

If you've spoken to the coach, hopefully the problem will stop. DD's gym has several classes a week for all the levels of rec classes and a couple of different options for their preteam level, if the problems don't stop and it is possible, then you might consider moving your daughter to a different class time.
My daughter has been in gymnastics for about 6 years, starting with preschool, then rec classes, preteam and now team. Until she got to team, I used to stay and watch most of the time (especially when it was only a 1 hour class) and I've seen all types of kids come and go. The couple of times that there were "disruptive" kids in her class, I would usually advise my daughter not to stand next to the one doing the disrupting and to let the coach know what is going on if it was a safety issue. I also kept in mind that sooner or later either my daughter or the other kid would move on to another class or quit and the problem would eventually solve itself that way.

fabulous…..and any time other kids behave like a brat it is because this kid is rotten, will always be rotten and their parents are rotten too. Just well behaved kids belong in a gym so my kid will not be distracted on her way to the Olympics. This brat should immediately taken out of the gym…oh wait a minute how old is this brat…4 ??? Mhmm isn't it normal that all *just turned* 4 year olds are behaving like 4 year olds ? Being a brat is an absolutely normal behavior and DOES NOT show how well a parent educates a kid or not !!!! If this brat turnes 8 or 9 and still behaves like a brat in the gym, well THEN we can talk !!!

But let's say it like it is : all parents overreact when it is about their own kid !!! I guess I would call it LOVE and we just want the best for them..even if it means "getting rid of a 4 year old" in the gym….

Okay..this was a vent…who doesn't like it…please overread it or feel free to comment….

Have a wonderful day everybody…life is great !!!

Highly disagree with highlighted sentence. Being a brat is NOT normal 4 year old behaviour. If it is then I guess my kids and their friends are truly special. You go to any preschool and will see 98% of the kids are well behaved. But there may be just that one kid that constantly disrupts the class and causes problems for others. And I think it is excusing unacceptable behaviour at a young age that lets the behaviour progress later on. Case in point, the 4 year old in dunno's post calling him a m'fer. Not all 4 year olds are created equal.

I think we've all had experience with children who misbehave and disrupt things for the other students (not just in gym, but in other activities/settings as well)...I sympathized w/ the OP. Personally, if my kid was misbehaving like that and I witnessed it, I would do something about it ASAP (even to the point where I'd pull her from the class until she shows she CAN behave, etc.). And if I wasn't there to witness it (4 is really young though so I'd probably be watching 90%+ of the time at that age - partly for reasons like this actually), I'd DEFINITELY want to know about it so I could address it. An optional activity isn't like school/daycare where everyone has to go, if a kid can't behave appropriately maybe they just aren't ready yet.

I've been a little busy latel, and just went through all these posts for the first time. I won't venture an opinion beyond sharing that as a coach there's been some kids I wished had stayed home, as nothing seems to work with them when they refuse to work well with others.

On the level of being a parent up in the balcony.....it's gotta be frustrating to watch a child dominate the atmosphere in your childs group, and don't feel it's a burden that should be shucked off onto the other kids and their parents under the guise of "she needs to express herself" or "it's a stage...she'll grow out of it". The problem is that while this Suzie is growing out of her stage, she's inducing "stages" in others around her, and they don't deserve that burden thrown over their shoulders in such a casual manner.

Other than that.....this threads had some real zingers....the kind you hardly get enough of......on talk radio.

Think of how epic it could be.....Gymnastics talk radio hosted alternately by antogonistic coaches, parents, and gymnasts. Geez, I'd never get any sleep at all, and not just because I can "feel" Chuckie's prescence in the dark. Cue the screams and violins....:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek:My wife and I were once given a marionette that reminded us of Chukie. One day when our first kid was about three, I took Chuckie out so my son could see how the strings made all the parts move. The day went south in a basket of fear in a hurry when I made Chuckie speak.......about two weeks later I found Chuckie in an out of the way spot in the garage, broken and sporting a few severed strings with others in a tangled mess.

I guess the kid was just protecting himself....;)

Wow, lots of comments since I was last here. I just wanted to point out bella's mom that I never said the child should not be in class I only said I did not understand WHY she was in THAT class. I'm sure the coaches have a reason otherwise she wouldn't be there. You are just the kind of person that tries to turn every sentence someone says into the worst possibly scenario. It's really honestly a little ridiculous and you clearly have a negative twist on everything I say. Anyway to everyone else- Things have been better, the little girl still has her wild moments but for the most part has kept her hands off my daughter, no kicking or putting her face in my daughters face and saying rude things. So that's good. I've tried to avoid watching practice but it's hard because all of the other moms stay so it makes me feel bad when she wants me to stay and I don't. Now we have a new girl in class, the girl is a good kid, does well but her mom is a lot overwhelming! lol. I swear she thinks her daughter is going to the Olympics next year, it's a bit much. I mean I think my daughter does well but I KNOW she isn't the best, after all she is only 5. I suppose the drama never ends! Thanks to everyone who was supportive and understood that I was just venting and not trying to be mean or offensive. Sometimes when we are angry/frustrated our words come out as offensive when that is not intended. To everyone else, good for you for being perfect! Have fun with that! Have a great day everyone!

"I swear she thinks her daughter is going to the Olympics next year"....GymMom22107, November 2012

Well that's just the way the Annual Olympics play out. I hear NBC has "locked in" Tim and Elfi to anchor each of the next three year's games. :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Wow, lots of comments since I was last here. I just wanted to point out bella's mom that I never said the child should not be in class I only said I did not understand WHY she was in THAT class. I'm sure the coaches have a reason otherwise she wouldn't be there. You are just the kind of person that tries to turn every sentence someone says into the worst possibly scenario. It's really honestly a little ridiculous and you clearly have a negative twist on everything I say. Anyway to everyone else- Things have been better, the little girl still has her wild moments but for the most part has kept her hands off my daughter, no kicking or putting her face in my daughters face and saying rude things. So that's good. I've tried to avoid watching practice but it's hard because all of the other moms stay so it makes me feel bad when she wants me to stay and I don't. Now we have a new girl in class, the girl is a good kid, does well but her mom is a lot overwhelming! lol. I swear she thinks her daughter is going to the Olympics next year, it's a bit much. I mean I think my daughter does well but I KNOW she isn't the best, after all she is only 5. I suppose the drama never ends! Thanks to everyone who was supportive and understood that I was just venting and not trying to be mean or offensive. Sometimes when we are angry/frustrated our words come out as offensive when that is not intended. To everyone else, good for you for being perfect! Have fun with that! Have a great day everyone!

Glad to herar things are better. Your daughter shouldn't have to put up or get used to a kid kicking, pushing or being in her face rude. You, however WILL have to get used to the overwheling, intense moms who think their kid is the future 2024 Olympic All-Around champion. Comes with the territory and you will likely run into it many times if you daughter sticks with the sport.

Glad to herar things are better. Your daughter shouldn't have to put up or get used to a kid kicking, pushing or being in her face rude. You, however WILL have to get used to the overwheling, intense moms who think their kid is the future 2024 Olympic All-Around champion. Comes with the territory and you will likely run into it many times if you daughter sticks with the sport.

here's another twist andrewsjr, if i had a dollar for every time a parent said their kid wanted to go to the Olympics or my kid said they wanted to go to the Olympics and then quit within 1 year later, i estimate i would be a millionaire twice over in just my first 5 years in business. lol.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back