WAG Ugh I hate parents like this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
A friend at my gym has wanted to quit for like a year now but is not allowed to by her parents! She doesn't work, doesn't do any skills, routines, drills etc. She has pretty much lost 80% of her skills and I just feel like she's wasting everyone's time! But I don't blame her as she wants to quit but isn't allowed to... I just hate parents who do that. Why would a parent do that!?

Because some coaches seem to think kids will suck it up and start enjoying gym if they are made to go!! Or some parents cannot stand the word quit and have no idea how hard gymnastics is and do not get that it is not for everyone.

If she truly knows that she is done and the passion has run its course (much different than quitting IMO) maybe she could explain her situation to the coach. I would imagine the coach has seen the signs of her not working anymore and she/he could talk with the parents and request that she look for something else as she does not fit in with the team anymore.

The coaches know, it's pretty obvious and she's not exactly hiding it. Mostly she just says something hurts and the coaches are all like, "Ok then, ice and condition." Even though she's not hurt and they know that.

There is a girl like that on DD's team. She's 13, has many nagging and long term injuries and has grown about 6 inches in the last year. She wants to quit. Bad. Her mom won't let her. At some point, it likely won't be her Mom's choice anymore as she does not suffer in silence if you know what I mean. I agree with her though....she's done; has no more passion for the sport.. She deserves the chance to do other things and not be miserable and in pain.

I feel so bad for my friend and others in their position! This particular friend made an all star cheer leading team but her mom won't let her join because, "You don't have time for both gymnastics and cheer."
She's all like, "Yeah exactly mom! That's why I wanna quit!"

Maybe it is the word "quit" that is the trigger for the parent. Has she tried to sit down and say that she has lost her passion, but realizes all the positive things she has gain from he sport. Now she would like to take these skills and use them in "cheer" or whatever it may be that comes up in the future.

Agree to finish out the year as that is the responsible thing to do and then move on.

It may be worth a shot as it is not an healthy situation to continue on like it is now as she will resent the sport and in the end resent her parents.

Ugh.. I don't understand parents like that. If my kid wanted to quit, I would be like WooHoo! We are going to Disney World, in place of gymnastics tuition!

Ugh.. I don't understand parents like that. If my kid wanted to quit, I would be like WooHoo! We are going to Disney World, in place of gymnastics tuition!

i have to say since my DD's quit gym we have travelled way more. More time and way more money.

I have opposite problem with my DD (13) she has had ongoing hip growth plate problems and I am desperate to emancipate her into real world, but no luck so far. 8 years of brainwashing is hard to counter.

Ditto X 10.5 = let her be free to chase after another dream. She's old enough and been an athlete in the sport long enough to realize this for herself. Hmmmmm, her mom's also old enough to realize the same thing......... but can't get there because she's never trained in "today's" environment.........

I'll say one thing more, hoping she's a lurker her at chalk bucket....... Suit up mom!!!! It's your turn to train.

I don't understand parents like this at all. When my daughter joined the team, I told her if she ever doesn't love it anymore, please tell me. I don't want her to feel like she has to continue with something she isn't enjoying, and I can think of many things we could be spending that money on every month!

My mom has always talked to me about quitting.
Gymnastics is a very tough/demanding sport and if your mind isn't in it, it becomes dangerous!! I think she should talk to her mom about this, if she doesn't than neither of them will be happy!! I personally "quit" gymnastics for 4 months because my mind wasn't in it and I was starting to get hurt and my mom understood that. Maybe her mom feels she has put to much in to the sport and now feels that she's throwing it all away, it's tough, but, if the gymnast isn't enjoying than it's time to move on!!

Is she not allowed to quit at all, or not allowed to quit mid season? With both of our kids (different sports), we tell them before every year that they're making a commitment to the team for the season, should think on that, and decide whether they're going to commit for the season. They're welcome to quit after the season, but not during.

She isn't competing this year because she doesn't work and has like no skills so the coaches aren't letting her. Her mom just won't let her quit!

Surprised the coaches haven't asked her to leave or placed her in a rec group.

That was my thoughts too! From what I have read getting on teams in the US is tough and why would they want to take a spot away from someone who wants to be there.

Maybe she realizes this and is trying to get them to force the issue for her, but then this makes me wonder what type of gym is she at if they will continue to let this type of behaviour go on. Not only is is bad for the girl, but also it is not setting a good examples for others in the team or coming onto the team.

Is the gym all about $$$$?

That was my thoughts too! From what I have read getting on teams in the US is tough and why would they want to take a spot away from someone who wants to be there.

Maybe she realizes this and is trying to get them to force the issue for her, but then this makes me wonder what type of gym is she at if they will continue to let this type of behaviour go on. Not only is is bad for the girl, but also it is not setting a good examples for others in the team or coming onto the team.

Is the gym all about $$$$?
If she's not taking coaching or equipment time from the other girls, I'm not surprised they don't say anything. Several gyms around her have girls that have lost their passion, but still come around. DD's gym has a few that don't compete anymore, but still want to work and the HC lets them come as a favor. He might give a girl the boot if she moped around and didn't do anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back