UK Competition weekend..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have a pass mark for regional vols. It is usually ridiculously high- basically they set from the current years results, so the top one (or rarely two) *has* to move up, then the next one or two can move up at the coaches discretion. The rest stay down.

What I'm seeing in our region is got perfectly competent Level 5 kids who probably could compete level 4 held back, because the kids with high hours at the big clubs are throwing all the bonus moves like giants and BWO-BHS on beam, getting scores over 46 AA. But the bonus moves aren't actually worth that much (0.2) so many clubs prefer to compete clean routines with just the required difficulty. Then they don't score out, so are competing Level 5 until they quit at 11/12.

I think I'd prefer to see the difficulty for regional voluntaries capped at least to the same as the compulsories. If a kid can compete a BHS on beam they should be in Level 4, not level 5. We don't really have regional out of age at L3 or L2, only the spring compulsories/autumn vols, so unless you're a compulsory gymnast there's one regional comp for you a year. Which must be why most clubs keep their kids down at L5/L4? Particularly as you can compete the L2 skills at L5 anyway!

I dunno. I don't think the system is working here. You've either got floor and vault, or you need to do the high hours to be competitive in WAG. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for kids who want to do WAG, but maybe don't want to be committing to the elite track or to 18+ hours a week.

You're right Jenny. I figured by looking at what level 4 requires, I could work out whether she's anywhere close to it...and thus perhaps able to reach level 3 later in 2014 or by 2015 (one year out of age).

Aah that makes sense. Unfortunately I can't direct you to a video! However if you look at the old compulsory 3 that is sort of between the new compulsory 4 and 3. I would say if she has the old compulsory 4 skills she is probably 18 months behind the in age level for her age. If she has the old compulsory 3 skills she is probably 6 months behind the in age level for her age. Somewhere in the middle of the 2 around a year behind. Does that make sense.

nice old compulsory 3 video

nice old compulsory 4 video

We have a pass mark for regional vols. It is usually ridiculously high- basically they set from the current years results, so the top one (or rarely two) *has* to move up, then the next one or two can move up at the coaches discretion. The rest stay down.

What I'm seeing in our region is got perfectly competent Level 5 kids who probably could compete level 4 held back, because the kids with high hours at the big clubs are throwing all the bonus moves like giants and BWO-BHS on beam, getting scores over 46 AA. But the bonus moves aren't actually worth that much (0.2) so many clubs prefer to compete clean routines with just the required difficulty. Then they don't score out, so are competing Level 5 until they quit at 11/12.

I think I'd prefer to see the difficulty for regional voluntaries capped at least to the same as the compulsories. If a kid can compete a BHS on beam they should be in Level 4, not level 5. We don't really have regional out of age at L3 or L2, only the spring compulsories/autumn vols, so unless you're a compulsory gymnast there's one regional comp for you a year. Which must be why most clubs keep their kids down at L5/L4? Particularly as you can compete the L2 skills at L5 anyway!

I dunno. I don't think the system is working here. You've either got floor and vault, or you need to do the high hours to be competitive in WAG. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for kids who want to do WAG, but maybe don't want to be committing to the elite track or to 18+ hours a week.

I think your club was unusual Faith because they didn't compete grades. If they had competed club grades that would give the girls more competitions. I agree about skills being capped in level 5. Giants and BHS on beam belong in level 4. Perhaps they could be allowed in level 5 in age so that the elite bound kids are working up the moves they need for compulsory 4.

Level 5 is becoming much bigger on the invitational scene. Sapphire and Alpha Factor and Wiltshire open now all have level 5 sections. Invitationals used to mostly be level 4 and above. But I think it is a shame for kids not to move up when they have such big skills. This is where national directive would help. At least we would all be working to the same system.

How is your dd getting on in her new less hours gym club? Is she enjoying herself and will she still get to do the occasional competition.

Im really looking forward to seeing the new compulsory routines next year as we havnt seen any examples yet. Will be interesting to see

Thanks Jenny. That's really helpful. Based off those clips, I'd say she is some way off getting all of those level 4 skills (although she has a few of them). She's a lot closer to some level 5 routines i've seen. The range and conditioning looks tough e.g she can't yet do the press handstand.

It's really hard to say how long it will take her to pick the missing skills up....the group that's one step ahead of her is certainly working on level 4 (poss 3) skills but they've mostly come from other gyms or tumbling. Barely a gym day goes by when she hasn't learned something new....she has only been in the group a month and its unbelievable how much she has learned/progressed in terms of form. However, I'm a realist there is no way she will do level 3 in spring 2014 and unless they increase her hours i think the autumn resist is also unlikely. On that basis, I'd say 2015 out of age is the goal.

Once things calm down a bit at gym, I'll ask the coach for a chat to see how she's progressing.

Very confusing,

We are in a region with County qualifiers to Regionals. You have to get a qualifying score in order to move forward to Regionals. All fine, but...

Two years ago my dd qualified from Counties with a score of 48, silver all around medallist. Went to regionals and had a really bad comp, I lost count of the number of falls on beam ended up with a score of around 36. Did not get the required score to move up, had to repeat the level the following. She could have easily competed the higher level.

Some standard would even the playing field

How is your dd getting on in her new less hours gym club? Is she enjoying herself and will she still get to do the occasional competition.

She's given up :(. She gave it a try but she missed her old friends, and the facilities aren't what she's used to (no permanent facility so no pits etc- and this is the kid who tried to teach herself giants (and apparently very nearly succeeded :)). She asked if she could do more hours at her other sport rather than do both so that's whats she's done. She does 4 days a week there and seems to be happy.

I think my general point is unless you are elite track there's no skill "targets". Non-elite track that I've seen certainly aren't progressing in the same way or at anywhere near the same speed. Even grades there's a huge skill difference between grade 14 and level 5, which are both "in age" at 8? I don't think there are many clubs who have non-elite kids progress skill wise at the same rate, so capable of competing voluntaries in-age. There seems to be a lot of talented kids left lagging as the focus isn't on progressing in the same way- there is no real alternative to elite track unless you are at a club like Flossy's.

Am I making sense :D

Lilys mum did you google "age 7 beam heathrow"- I'm fairly sure those are next years level 4 routines.

Ive watched the videos and im quite sure they are not the new compulsory level 4 routines. Beam has a bwo and a flick in, straddle jump and cartwheel tuck, which the girl doesnt do. Also compulsory level 4 bars is on strap bar with giants and other skills in. Floor has aerial cartwheel and front handspring series dive roll which she doesnt do. I think those routines could be what she will compete at voluntary level 5

Will admit I don't know the full rules for next year (does anyone!) I picked the video out as she does the press handstand, the russian lever, and flic, which I knew were level 4 next year.

That's amazing news Marie. You should be very proud.

Our elite girls swept the boards today....winning pretty much everything. DD is enjoying a bit of reflected glory even though she's not in their group. I can't help but feel a bit envious of everyone competing this weekend though....I can't wait until DD gets to have a shot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back