Parents UK newbie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tilly81

Proud Parent
Any help in this area would be appreciated.
My dd has been doing gymnastics for about 2.5 years, we are from the uk and she is in an advanced squad.
I'm not sure what level she is currently or what level she is currently working towards and I am a bit confused about why since joining the advanced squad 6 months ago her progression has slowed right down.
I really want to start asking questions but I don't want to come across as pushy and I also don't want my curiosity to have any negative impact on my dd.
She's not the best gymnast but she works hard and loves the gym she attends, how should I approach this?

How old is she?

Is the advanced class one for small children with talent?

Often, if a child is moved from a regular class to a "potentially good" class, they can seem to slow down. What happens is a regular class is fun, and aimed at keeping kids in and enjoying it. It doesn't matter if their handstands aren't perfect. If a child is aiming to be a top gymnast, every tiny little thing needs to be right from the beginning. Handstands will need to move to beam and bar, so need to be excellent on floor.

Youngsters with potential there's a lot of emphasis on strength, and basic body shapes. You can't learn the big skills without them. So the aim of the class might well have gone from giving stuff a go, to not letting them even try a handstand until they can do all the body shapes first.

She's 7 years old and thanks Faith, it makes a lot of sense that that would be the case, they seem to have gone back to basics with lots of repetition. I feel much better now that I can explain to her why she is not getting to try out some of the more challenging skills.
Thanks again

Hi there , My dd is also 7 and for a while never mentioned any new skills there seemed to be alot of conditioning as faith said concentrating on strength and form , my dd is now holding handstands for longer and find chinups easier so this has payed off for her , good luck

Thanks scotsgirl, she does seem to be getting better at basics but I think she's a little disappointed about not learning new things. She will get there, she is determined and loves gym so I'm sure in time she will get to try new stuff x

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back