Undercutting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Hello people,:)

I've been working on my BHS for about 4 months now and I'm still having problems. I keep undercutting my BHS ( Drilling myself to the ground ) I have my Front Tuck, my Back Tuck perfectly but this skill is just killing me:(

Any advice/drills to stop undercutting my BHS?:confused:

Hello people,:)

I've been working on my BHS for about 4 months now and I'm still having problems. I keep undercutting my BHS ( Drilling myself to the ground ) I have my Front Tuck, my Back Tuck perfectly but this skill is just killing me:(

Any advice/drills to stop undercutting my BHS?:confused:

Is this a standing BHS or a roundoff BHS?

i had the same problem on beam. I would draw a line on the floor for my hands and try to get my hands on the line.

Stop doing it like a back tuck. The only thing the skills have in common is that they're backwards. (I can't be SURE that's what you're doing, but it's not improbable).

You should feel like you're going to fall on your heiney before you jump back, & you should really be reaching. Your arms should be behind your ears before you take off. Reach for the wall behind you, & make sure your heels are DOWN when you jump, knees behind them, hips behind THEM, etc.

When your going into the BHS, think about pushing through your feet off the ground. Just having that in your mind will help to make it longer.

My Coach keeps telling me "Push through your feet" but what exactly does that mean. Also, I might be able to provide a video later on:)

Thanks for the reply guys, you guys rock:D

Push through your feet just means when you are jumping backwards, point your toes off of the floor. Something else that might help you, looking at the video, is to try to keep your shoulder angle open. You are closing your shoulders, try to keep your arms up at your ears.

your arm swing and jump are not synchronized. go back and look closely. when you are in the sitting position angle to jump you have already swung your arms back behind and past your head and your still in the sitting position. you jumped just as your hands hit the ground. whew...

as your arms move to the front of your body and then backwards your knees must synchronize with the arm swing to begin jumping.

simply, your arm swing and jump must occur together and synchronized. not in separate movements.

your arm swing and jump are not synchronized. go back and look closely. when you are in the sitting position angle to jump you have already swung your arms back behind and past your head and your still in the sitting position. you jumped just as your hands hit the ground. whew...

as your arms move to the front of your body and then backwards your knees must synchronize with the arm swing to begin jumping.

simply, your arm swing and jump must occur together and synchronized. not in separate movements.

OMG, Thank You:D:D My BHS is a million times snappier now. I studied my video and compared it to one of the girls in my Gym. Your right!! My arms aren't synchronizing with my jump.

Thank you all guys for the comments/tips:):)

You have access to mats and stuff yes?! As beth said, you're closing your shoulder angle which is 'drilling you into the ground'. When my kids do this I have two drills I like to do.

1. Do the first part of the back handspring as far as the handstand, then with a mat in, fall to your tummy. So, instead of a flip to your feet, do it to your tummy. While falling, keep arms by your ears and push from the floor. This will help to keep the shoulder angle open.

2. Flip down a wedge. at the bottom of the wedge, put a panel mat in. So you flip to your hands, then in the second part ie from your hand to your feet you have to go over the panel mat. It tends to make the second part of the BHS longer.

I hope you can understand what I mean, I'm not the best at descriptions haha!!

Good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back