WAG Unitards for competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have seen some teams use compression capri pants instead of warm up pants. He could give the girls the option to take them off. Unitards often have an uncomfortable center butt scene.

I have never seen a team in unitards and to me I would think that wouldn't be allowed. Only because if you were to wear your warm up pants while compete it's a deduction. So in my head a unitard is a Leo with pants and pants aren't allowed, and why would you want your gymnast to wear those. There hideous unless your a little kid!

I was interested in this post straight away because of my recent experiences in this area - someone has already directed you to my thread!

Have you considered who else is on the team? Could there be a child with religious needs that would stop them from competing in a leotard? Could there be a child who struggled with an eating disorder and mig have said they would feel more comfortable in a unitard?

I know that lots of kids enjoy leotards but there are also plenty that hate them - I spend PLENTY of time at competitions reassuring the kids I coach (usually they are 10 plus, but I've dealt with it in kids as young as 7) that they don't look fat or silly or anything else. Personally, as an older gymnast, I have a love hate relationship with them. I'm a bit addicted to buying them and I think they are very pretty, but I do feel self conscious when I wear them. I'm not sure that wearing a unitard would help with that though!

Anyway, back to my original point.... There may well be a reason for this decision that you're not aware of. The coach might have one child who wants/needs to cover up and he is sending the whole team out like that in support. And he probably wouldn't want to alienate the other girls either, so if they hate it, talk to him.

Leo's aren't allowed at all in the gym. Kids wear shorts and t-shirts. It's really a moot point because they won't wear them anyway!

Wow, banning Leo's in training is interesting... In my view it will only serve to make the girls feel the way he is predicting... I had to force myself to wear them to train in for a few weeks, and then I got used to it. Much less of a big deal at comps now, and that's what I recommend to all the kids who freak out about it.

It seems like he is trying to do a good thing, but getting it slightly wrong. Maybe he could compromise by having a Leo with leggings? Then the girls can wear them or not.

Leo's aren't allowed at all in the gym. Kids wear shorts and t-shirts. It's really a moot point because they won't wear them anyway!

Are they tight? Like under armor shirts and bar shorts or loose? I have never heard of a gymnastics gym that bans leos. Ever.

I'm going to ignore the above post because I personally don't think it is funny.

To the OP - It sounds like your gym owner has a deep seated reason to go down this road, unitards in competition, no leos in the gym. However he is not explaining it very well. It might help if you got him to discuss and explain his ideas more fully to you.

If your gymnasts refuse to wear leos in training it sounds like they might struggle with the idea of wearing them to compete also. Maybe the owner has picked up on this in the past. Maybe he wants to break out and try something new. I think it would really help to find out exactly where this is coming from.

Unitards are often worn in rhythmic and acro competitions. The ones I have seen are no less pretty than leos and often more blingy in those disciplines. We are also seeing them coming in for team gym. School competitions I have been to in the UK often have the children wearing velvet shorts or leggings, over or under leos. It doesn't seem to phase anyone and they still look really neat.

I think there is room in this sport for a little variety. Bring it on!

His preference will take one of the rites of passage, a child's first comp leo, away from these kids. He should reverse course unless he can convince the kids they can take pride in wearing a unitard before and after the meets where they'll stand out in a way they may not wish.

This sport can be both good and bad, and sometimes we can only hope to have one fewer "bads" than we have bads. This choice will add to the list of bads and remove one of the goods, and that's a loss they'll feel whenever they walk into meets and are self conscious of the unitard.

1. Really a rite of passage? The US must be so different to here. How very interesting. I have had 2 kids go through competitive gym, neither saw their first comp leo as a rite of passage. The competition experience was the important thing. Not the leo. The hair was more important to them than the leo haha. If something that you wear is that important, more than the competition, the friendship, the achievement, the skills, then maybe the emphasis is wrong.

2. Why do you think that wearing a leotard is good for this sport? Why do you think a unitard is bad for this sport. Gymnastics has nothing to do with what you wear. It is about what you do. I am genuinely interested.

Being self concious because you stand out and are different I understand. That is a genuine concern for these girls.

Has anyone ever seen unitards in competition? The owner of our gym wants our team in unitards. I don't think they are against the rules, but I have never seen it myself. Thoughts?

I've been around this sport for over 15 years and have never seen unitards worn in competition, and generally not worn by anyone over 10 yrs old...

Xcel girls are allowed to wear tight fitting shorts over their leotards (at least according to the WA NAWGJ). If I were in your position I would go for a shorts option over a unitard...

And yes, my first year competing girls are ALWAYS very very very excited to get their first competition leotard!

Well, if your kids can't/won't wear leotards in practice, then it makes sense that they would feel uncomfortable in them in competition, and that the HC is looking for other options. Even wearing those teeny weeny little shorts over a leo in practice can make kids feel weird about going "short-less" in a meet. I know that this season DD's team had "No shorts November" to get kids (older girls especially) comfortable going without as they headed into competition season.

I don't know that a kid who is used to practicing in shorts and a t-shirt will feel any more comfortable in a unitard than they would in a leotard. Especially if you're talking about a unitard that is full pants and not just shorts. Yes, they would be more covered up, but it would still be very different from what they're used to practicing in and I think a full unitard would feel very weird. I guess, in your place, I would start with making myself as familiar with the rules for your state. It sounds like some states allow xcel girls to wear shorts over their leotards. If a unitard is allowed with no deduction and a leotard with shorts or capris over top would incur a deduction, than maybe that is the way to go, but I would definitely include the girls on this discussion, and have some pictures ready for them to look at so that they know what the different options would look like. Maybe even some samples for them to try on if at all possible. I know that very few gyms let the girls choose the team leo, but if the goal here is to make them feel as comfortable as possible, I would definitely ask for their input.

Ever since a parent here on CB made me aware of it, I have been following the NCATA http://thencata.org/ (national collegiate acrobatics and tumbling association). It's too bad that dressing like these young women do wouldn't be allowed at a USAG event. They're dressed more like volleyball players than like gymnasts, and I think they look great!

Unitards weren't allowed in artistic competition until not too long ago. I would have to look up when they became non-deductible to wear. Perhaps about the same time sleeveless leos became non-deductible for artistic gymnasts? I'm not sure. I'm think the FIG changed their rules and then USAG changed their rules to match. I think they said athletes could wear a unitard or leggings under or over their leotard.

FIG Rhythmic gymnasts used to wear leotards and unitards until skirtards became legal for them and just about all of them abandoned leotards and unitards in favor of skirtards.

I have never seen a long legged unitard in FIG artistic competition. I have seen gymnasts such as Aljazy of Qatar wears shorts over their leotard or a shortards, I guess.

I thought she simply took the deduction but perhaps not. Maybe the FIG considers a unitard to be short or long legged or maybe shortards are now allowed.

This picture of Shaden Wahdan and Al Jazi Al Habashi wearing blingy shortards appeared in an article about middle eastern women and the Olympics. Pet peeve - I hate it when the flesh colored part of a costume does not match the athlete/performer's skin color. In this case, it's not even close. AHHHHH!

The website for the Doha world cup has an artistic gymnast in a shortard and white leggings on it.

Recently, the gymnastics uniforms used in the Professional Gymnastics Challenge was changed up for athletes of both sexes. No shirt and longer shorts for the men. Sports bra and booty shorts for the women.

I think it's a bit silly to not allow leotards at a gymnastics club, they really do make it so much easier to coach and spot. And have to be more comfortable for the kids (at least when they get used to them) as they aren't constantly pulling down shirts, tucking them in, or getting their bare stomachs scraped on the bar. Do the girls at least wear tight fitting shorts and shirts (like Under Armour)? That would prepare them at least slightly better for competitive apparel.
I think all kids are a bit self conscious in leos at first, but really it's no different (and often more modest) than a swim suit. So unless there are religious or other issues that make standard leotards a non-option, I would think the unitards would make the girls feel even more self conscious.
I think perhaps your best bet would be to find a modestly cut leotard in a flattering color/design to suit the girls on the team and offer the option of wearing shorts overtop (provided it is okay-ed by your state x-cel program). I always felt that dark colored velvet leos covered me up better than the thin lycra or metallic materials.
On a more logistical level, unitards in multiple sizes, especially for bigger kids or teens, might be hard to find. I liked MaryA's idea of getting a few different styles for the kids to try on and show to parents, after all, they are the ones paying for them! Collect some samples, do a try-on night with parents present and get honest opinions from the girls and parents.

Edited- You might want to contact your Regional x-cel rep to get official rules for your area. Here is a list of contact info: http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/RulesRegs.pdf

Last edited:
I would definitely include the girls in this decision. My 4'6" 75 lb. incredibly toned daughter who wears a leo every day, was told that she was going to wear a unitard for a modern dance performance. To say that she was unhappy was an understatement! I heard complaints about that unitard everyday until she was forced to give up dance because of her knees. Leos, however, didn't bother her in the slightest. So, the girls may have a different take on the issue than the head coach.

My daughter would definitely not be in favor of wearing unitards. I don't think they are very flattering. I think they are generally just as "revealing"--tight thin fabric isn't really "hiding" anything... I can hear Stacy and Clinton giving a collective gasp at the thought of a mid-thigh fabric cut.... But it would be kind of fun to see other teams wearing them to see how they look, as long as I would not have to try to talk my daughter into wearing one...

I've been around this sport for over 15 years and have never seen unitards worn in competition, and generally not worn by anyone over 10 yrs old...

you mostly see it at the lower levels. and a bit of history for all going back some 50 years, the first incidence of this was the late 60's and with Orthodox Jews. and now there are Muslims. even in the Muslim countries, some of them anyway, they have gymnastics. for a long time the men and women trained in separate halls. things are changing. even Egypt now trains in the same hall. and i'm not certain what they call what they wear cause my wife is not here, but it's a leo that goes down about the middle of the thigh.

and another factoid about the word gymnastics. it comes from the Greek word gymnasium which came from the word 'gymnos'. it means naked. to train or exercise or do gymnastics naked. YIKES!

so, i really don't care what they're wearing so long as they're wearing something. :)

Unitards weren't allowed in artistic competition until not too long ago. I would have to look up when they became non-deductible to wear. Perhaps about the same time sleeveless leos became non-deductible for artistic gymnasts? I'm not sure. I'm think the FIG changed their rules and then USAG changed their rules to match. I think they said athletes could wear a unitard or leggings under or over their leotard.

FIG Rhythmic gymnasts used to wear leotards and unitards until skirtards became legal for them and just about all of them abandoned leotards and unitards in favor of skirtards.

I have never seen a long legged unitard in FIG artistic competition. I have seen gymnasts such as Aljazy of Qatar wears shorts over their leotard or a shortards, I guess.

I thought she simply took the deduction but perhaps not. Maybe the FIG considers a unitard to be short or long legged or maybe shortards are now allowed.

This picture of Shaden Wahdan and Al Jazi Al Habashi wearing blingy shortards appeared in an article about middle eastern women and the Olympics. Pet peeve - I hate it when the flesh colored part of a costume does not match the athlete/performer's skin color. In this case, it's not even close. AHHHHH!

The website for the Doha world cup has an artistic gymnast in a shortard and white leggings on it.

Recently, the gymnastics uniforms used in the Professional Gymnastics Challenge was changed up for athletes of both sexes. No shirt and longer shorts for the men. Sports bra and booty shorts for the women.

there is no deduction for wearing what you see here. and it's more about how leos evolved. back in the 50's and sixties (go look online) the leos all came down several inches in to the leg. over time they changed. there was never really a rule. and all that time ago there was only Nabholz who supllied both mens and womens stuff.

then religion became an issue. USA Gymnastics dealt with this long before the FIG. we're the 'melting pot'.

here's a pretty good one from around the time i started gymnastics. you'll notice all the different 'cuts' i guess you all call them? and even some rhythmic with the little skirts that someone spoke about up thread. this is all old stuff. it goes away and comes back again. like fashion.

Wow! A mill circle on the high bar! They look awkward even when they're being competed professionally! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back