Parents Unsure Dad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
Hi,

A neighbor is looking to sell an incline mat at a very good price. At home DD only works on coach approved skills, conditioning, strength and flexibility (and only when she wants to).

I’m sure the mat will be sold quickly but I’m not sure I’ve got any use for it. Seems like it would be very useful but I’m not sure what she might use it for (and I don’t want to ask her since I don’t want her to know I’m considering getting it).

Thoughts?

A primary use for the wedge mat is practicing back handsprings. That would make it a big fat no in my book.

A fun and much safer gymnastics toy for home use is a folding foam floor beam, for coach-approved uses only (dance, turns, jumps, maybe cartwheels).

Only you know your kid and her tendency to sneak/defy Dad, but back handsprings (and other back bendy and flippy things) will be REALLY REALLY tempting if she has a wedge mat available to her at this (early) stage of her gymnastics.

Do you want her faced with temptation? Can you manage that? Can you handle your own temptation to 'help' or 'spot' her when you're a smart, athletic person, and you've watched a Youtube video and it looks easy enough to spot a kid on a BHS...?

With my more advanced gymmies, they would just use it now as a fort-building tool, a reading prop, or a Ninja obstacle of some kind (regular playground stuff, nothing flippy) in the back yard. And mostly the cat would use it for something.

But at the early stage of gym over-enthusiasm??? YIKES. NO. :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

I second the folding floor beam (nothing raised - adds no benefit while increasing risk).

I also suggest Parallettes - you can buy them or make them (like we did) with PVC pipe. More marketed as a boys' gym device, my daughter enjoys handstands and planches and such with them. Just make sure they are low to the ground and stable (won't tip over), especially if you are using them on padded surfaces like matting or carpet, or won't slide around if using on solid surface. I don't like the design of many that don't seem to have wide enough 'feet' for their height. The very low ones are best, I find.

Something like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301957367597?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Handstands on parallettes by the wall are fun, as are presses and planches.

Matching parallettes for Dad and Daughter?? :):)

If you feel the urge to buy anything, get a panel mat if you don't already have one.

My DD has two floor beams that sit unused. The only equipment that ever gets used at home these days is the panel mat. The kids use it for lots of stupid things, though most aren't even gym-related. Sometimes they even use it for multi-kid sleepovers.

But no. No wedge. Just no.

Edit: and maybe as above suggested, parallelettes. And you've mentioned before you have a chin-up bar, yes? I would not go further than these things. They can be quite dangerous, and are ultimately a waste of $ anyway.

third the paralettes, my DH made them out of some 2x2 and stair handrail that was in the "odds bin" at a DIY store, and the matt, other than that nope

If you feel the urge to buy anything, get a panel mat if you don't already have one.

I also second the panel mat. That was our first gymnastics purchase, and the one with most longevity as we can use it for stretching, hanging out, etc. once the 'new' gym phase has passed.

Thanks everyone, feels like I saved a few bucks and buying a piece of equipment with little to no use. Below I've responded to some comments

Deeeeeep Breath......you dont need it..........inhale, exhale.....
Thanks I almost bought it first and asked after the fact.

Only you know your kid and her tendency to sneak/defy Dad
I'm not worried about that at all. I'm not claiming she's an angel but before I knew better (a few weeks ago) she was working on front handspring and other new skills at home. Once I told her she can only work on coach approved skills she doesn't work on them at home and doesn't even ask me for my permission. Once I read about some of specific risks in practicing skills at home, I'm honestly not tempted anymore either. I was really thinking about any uses for conditioning/flexibility/strength training.

And mostly the cat would use it for something.
I hadn't thought about that but you're right about that, he would have a blast with it.

I also suggest Parallettes -
I looked at a youtube video of Parallettes to see what they are. I had envisioned her using the incline mat similar to how the Parallettes can be used (and on top of another mat). But I totally understand what you're saying, incline mat would be less useful (and take up more space) than Parallettes

And you've mentioned before you have a chin-up bar, yes?
Yes, before I found this forum I already had a chin-up bar, panel mat, stall bar, padded floor beam (a few inches off the ground) and this https://www.amazon.com/Playground-I...rd_wg=SvbDj&psc=1&refRID=J2RD8PSMJ9DP05BD7NAB (which my in-laws bought for my kids before my DD started gymnastics but before I knew better she did her first pullover on this).

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't specifically looking to purchase a new piece of gym equipment. When this came up I thought this might have been useful and something I should get. but it seems like based on experience (not mine), I shouldn't.

A wedge mat is good for sleeping with if you have GERD. Sorry, meant wedge foam pillow...
So it sounds like you think I should get it ;)

Thanks again for making this clear for me. Not necessarily what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear.

Thanks everyone, feels like I saved a few bucks and buying a piece of equipment with little to no use. Below I've responded to some comments

So it sounds like you think I should get it ;)

Thanks again for making this clear for me. Not necessarily what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear.

I would recommend changes in diet first. Lay off the sauces and hot foods.:D

We have a wedge and my youngest does forward rolls and other dd does more but only coach approved skills (she has a sister who coaches so has more chances than most kids because of this) but the other use to to slide trains and cars down it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back