Update: New Skills/Injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
I thought I would give an update. I went to camp a couple weeks ago, and came home with a bunch of new skills :) I got my back tuck on the high beam, my tsuk vault into the resi pit, and some other "littler" skills. But yesterday, I did my full on the floor for the first time!! I landed on my feet, but I guess I landed short. I hurt my right Achilles tendon when I landed. It has been hurting ever since then. I iced it twice at practice and didn't do anything that made it hurt. I have been to the dr for this before, and they said it is Achilles tendonitis. It hurts very bad today :( I guess I will just take it easy the next couple days and see where it goes! But my coach said that she DOES NOT mess around with Achilles tendons. She said that if it tears now, I am pretty much done. So I am definatly going to be taking it easy and doing lots and lots of bars!

Listen to your coach and your body. Achilles problems can nag you for years. I would recommend staying off of it for at least a week to see if the pain subsides. You should ice at least 2 times and day and take anti-inflammatories. There are also some good stretches and exercises you can do with bands. A physical therapist might be able to help speed recovery with these exercises and help you strengthen your ankle in a way that will help prevent future issues.

However, achilles tendonitis can also lead to other issues like bursitis of the heel. So, make sure you take it easy and try too much too soon.

If necessary, an MRI could always tell you if you really damaged it.

Good luck!!

I'm so sorry that you've had a setback:(. Definitely lay off and let it heal completely! I'd see a Dr too and get an MRI. You just can't ever be too careful.

That being said, if you tear your achilles it doesn't mean you have to be done with gymnastics. There are 2 girls at DD's gym that have successfully come back from completely torn achillies. One girl tore hers while at another gym, moved to DD's gym, had surgery, rehabbed, made it back to L10 Nationals a year later and is now competing this weekend as an elite at the US Classic. The second tore hers this past January and after surgery and rehab is back doing gymnastics. She just started back, but she looks good. She was a L10 at the time she tore hers.

As others have said, you are doing the right thing to take it easy and let that injury heal completely.

I'm so sorry that you've had a setback:(. That being said, if you tear your achilles it doesn't mean you have to be done with gymnastics. There are 2 girls at DD's gym that have successfully come back from completely torn achillies. One girl tore hers while at another gym, moved to DD's gym, had surgery, rehabbed, made it back to L10 Nationals a year later and is now competing this weekend as an elite at the US Classic. The second tore hers this past January and after surgery and rehab is back doing gymnastics. She just started back, but she looks good. She was a L10 at the time she tore hers.

Courtney Kupets torn her left achilles tendon in 2003 and went on to compete in the 2004 Olympics. She then went on to compete for Georgia where she torn her right achilles tendon in 2008. She went on to compete again in 2009 and was awarded the Honda-Broderick Cup, which is given to the top female college athlete.

:DCongrats on your new skills !!! That is very exciting! You are also a wise gymnast to listen to your coach, ice your heel and rest it. There is plenty for you to do at the gym that will not involve your foot, as a L8 I am sure you know that! Here's to a speedy recovery:)

Landings should be a regular part of training. Conscientiousness of landings should become second nature. Most athletes will not naturally protect their ankles and Achilles tendons unless they have trained for it.

Please work on anticipating landings. If the muscles are completely relaxed due to no presence of mind on the landing then when you do land the muscles which come in to play which were relaxed in the air will be forced to abruptly resist the impact of the landing and will over react and pull the living lights out of your Achilles.

Please work on anticipating landings...If the feet are already flexed at the ankles due to no presence of mind about the landing then when you do land on flexed ankles the Achilles tendons which are already stretched will have no where to go except to tear up when you land.

Anticipate the landing by reaching for the floor with the balls of your feet and as your feet hit the ground then slowly allow the heels to come down stretching your Achilles tendons in a gradual manner. Avert an abrupt pull on the tendons from muscles which were not taught before the landing.

If you are working on a new skill or about to begin one then tape up your ankles so that the tape will remove some of the stress that your ankles and Achilles tendons might receive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back