WAG Update on spongy DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
Soooo, DD started public school, soccer and dance. She is loving school and has been healing well. We had all emotionally moved on and were very happy with the way life was going and saw no signs of maladjustment in DD. SHe had been out of gym for 8 weeks, gone to farm camp, lots of play time with friends, soccer practice, etc...And then, she informed us that she needed gym and we needed to get more info from doctor on if she could return. Fast forward...doc has cleared her for modified training. Sleepless nights and long conversations have led her back to gym. She is on a reduced schedule of hours and modified training and she is staying in public school. We will be in the doctors office regularly to monitor her back. It's been a little over a week she has been back in the gym and she said it is her destiny to be a gymnast. She understands it won't be like it was and seems fine with that. I still think as time goes on, she will drift from the sport since she has limitations. But at least she will know she did what she could and we know we made it as safe as we could for her to try. We will take this day by day but it would have been so much easier if she hadn't been so sure she needed to go back to gym...I was starting to like the idea of soccer:)

I hope it all works out. It's hard enough to leave competitive gymnastics even when it's a matter of choosing one passion and another. That's the way it was for me when I stopped competing to start coaching. The hardest moments were when I went to watch my old team mates compete. Sweaty palms and shaky with constantly wondering if I'd made the right choice.

Can spondy be healed..... or is it more a matter of limiting and being careful so it doesn't flare up?

Spondyliothesis cannot heal. The fractures can heal but not the slip. The best we can hope for is that the spine stabilizes and and does not slip any further. DD will have xrays every six months for the next several years (even without gymnastics) to watch for further slippage. She is reducing repetitive arching (none at all yet) by a lot and reduced hours drastically. Pain is her guide and we are all hyper aware. Her hopes of elite are no longer there. Now she wants to do what her body will allow and she understands that her teammates will move on at a much faster pace than she can, now. She is sad to be out of TOPS and we are not letting her even discuss competition yet. She is working on regaining strength and a basic skill set, then we will inch toward forward training.
The good news is that, even with the huge changes in her gym life, she is just happy to be there. And she is loving her new adventures in public school. I was torn about letting her go back, and still am, but she has always been a stubborn girl with a mind of her own. As her parents, we have to protect her but let her live her life...such a balance.

Oh gymbeemom .... I just saw this thread and recalled your daughter was headed toward the elite track. So I had to read back to some of your past posts to find out if I was right and for information on your current situation. In trying to stay positive, I wish your daughter and your family continued happiness, more blessings and success in whatever your daughter chooses to do. There is nothing wrong in her new path, public school, friends, soccer. I see her experiences widening beyond gymnastics, and not necessarily eliminating it.

All good thoughts for her. I hope she finds a lot of happiness in being able to get back in the gym, even if it is on a limited basis. Maybe she was just meant to be in the gym in some way. Who knows, she may end up growing up to be the next Dunno or Iwannacoach! But it would also be great if this presents a way for her to gain closure and move on from the sport on her own terms.

"But it would also be great if this presents a way for her to gain closure and move on from the sport on her own terms."

Profmom, I see this as being more of the case. I want my baby to walk and be safe and live a happy life...gaining the knowledge firsthand that her body wont let her do this is really what I think it will take for her to put it away...until she is old enough to coach. She and her coaches are hoping for the best and that she can prove to everyone she can do this...

Dunno. I have listened closely to your advise on this condition, and your words are always there in my head. Believe me when I tell you, we are treading lightly.

"But it would also be great if this presents a way for her to gain closure and move on from the sport on her own terms."

Profmom, I see this as being more of the case. I want my baby to walk and be safe and live a happy life...gaining the knowledge firsthand that her body wont let her do this is really what I think it will take for her to put it away...until she is old enough to coach. She and her coaches are hoping for the best and that she can prove to everyone she can do this...

Dunno. I have listened closely to your advise on this condition, and your words are always there in my head. Believe me when I tell you, we are treading lightly.

I just read this thread and your other....had missed your original post re: spondilothesis.

Glad to hear school and other sports are going well.

Please be careful with your daughter getting back into the gym. Be sure you trust your ortho 1000%

My daughter had spondololysis a few years ago. She has fully recovered but her pediatric ortho (one of the top in the country) had her take it very slow. I have very clear memories of him saying if it were spondilothesis, she would have to give up gymnastics. He seemed so clear on it.

If she is going back, please go slow and be sure if is safe. At the end of the day, there really is more to life than gymnastics (even if our girls don't think so!)

Dunno was so helpful when we went through this...not sure if he has anything to add (and sorry, perhaps he has....as I said, I"m late to these posts!)

I really hope she does take it slowly and realizes she can't push it in the gym. It sounds like she's okay with doing things more slowly--I hope that's the case. Good luck to you and her!

Funny to read this today. I am off to the sports medicine doc with youngest Bog Baby today. She hurt her back during a gymnastics segment in spring. Doing BWO's etc. It was sore for a few weeks, but eventually seemed to clear up after her regular doc just said rest it. A few twinges here and there over summer, but nothing major.

Roll on to last week and she wanted to tryout for the provincial tramp team at a club an hour away. Foolishly I let her try. Within ten minutes of bouncing on their comp quality tramp she was in AGONY. The coach stopped her immediately and she has been in pain since. We did a 5k race on Saturday night and she had to walk after the first 2k as she was in so much pain. Pain that had her crying. Luckily we can see someone this quickly but I do not have a good feeling about this.

Very glad your dd has been able to go back, but please be very, very careful. Careful she doesn't hide pain from you and careful you do not allow pain to be okay.

My kids seem to be cursed with back issues. It isn't a good thing at all.

Funny to read this today. I am off to the sports medicine doc with youngest Bog Baby today. She hurt her back during a gymnastics segment in spring. Doing BWO's etc. It was sore for a few weeks, but eventually seemed to clear up after her regular doc just said rest it. A few twinges here and there over summer, but nothing major.

Roll on to last week and she wanted to tryout for the provincial tramp team at a club an hour away. Foolishly I let her try. Within ten minutes of bouncing on their comp quality tramp she was in AGONY. The coach stopped her immediately and she has been in pain since. We did a 5k race on Saturday night and she had to walk after the first 2k as she was in so much pain. Pain that had her crying. Luckily we can see someone this quickly but I do not have a good feeling about this.

Very glad your dd has been able to go back, but please be very, very careful. Careful she doesn't hide pain from you and careful you do not allow pain to be okay.

My kids seem to be cursed with back issues. It isn't a good thing at all.

PLease let us know what the doctor says. I actually just pulled another day from her schedule. She was okay with this so I am hoping she will move away from the sport on her own because I still feel it is the safest choice. I just need this to be her own choice so she can live with it longterm.

I am right there with you GBM. I wish your DD all the happiness. It is so much about helping our kids be the best at what they can do. This parenting gig is so difficult because we Love so Hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back