WAG US Olympic Committee Weighs in

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yeah, I am gonna call the Indy Star for being a little slippery here. The USOC acted on Thursday. USAG's statement was released on Wednesday. The way the story was written did present the facts accurately, but made it a little too easy for a quick reader to infer that USAG/Retton were reacting to what happened yesterday.

For the record, here is the statement on the USAG site from Paul Parilla, dated 3/9/17 (https://www.usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=19853&prog=h):

“The entire leadership of USA Gymnastics shares the USOC’s commitment to promoting a safe environment for all athletes, and we take its views seriously. USA Gymnastics has initiated a comprehensive, thorough and independent examination of our requirements, mandates and procedures in this area and we expect this review will identify ways to strengthen our program and better protect youth The USA Gymnastics Board of Directors will convene shortly and work to determine next steps.”

I don't read that as an endorsement of Mr. Penny, although it isn't a rebuke either.

They need to act fast and new leadership is needed; time to clean out the culture of acceptance or avoidance that has developed.

For the record, here is the statement on the USAG site from Paul Parilla, dated 3/9/17 (https://www.usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=19853&prog=h):

“The entire leadership of USA Gymnastics shares the USOC’s commitment to promoting a safe environment for all athletes, and we take its views seriously. USA Gymnastics has initiated a comprehensive, thorough and independent examination of our requirements, mandates and procedures in this area and we expect this review will identify ways to strengthen our program and better protect youth The USA Gymnastics Board of Directors will convene shortly and work to determine next steps.”

I don't read that as an endorsement of Mr. Penny, although it isn't a rebuke either.

They need to act fast and new leadership is needed; time to clean out the culture of acceptance or avoidance that has developed.

This is what I read. Everything else is individual people who are endorsing him. The telling factor is what USAG does next.

Doesn't the USOC provide a lot of funding for USAG? I remember Kim Riley mentioning things they've provided to the ranch, national teams, etc. Maybe USAG will listen to the money?
I think another big thing is that the USOC actually makes the determination of which governing body can appoint athletes to the Olympics...so I guess technically they could usurp USAG in favor of a different governing body should one be developed. So if they really wanted to flex their muscle they could pull that rabbit out of the hat

From the sounds of it, Penny'a being dumped soon. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time before he's forced from office in the future. For the sake of his own dignity and morality, he should step down now (well, he should have six months ago, but better late than never?) instead of waiting to be fired. I can't understand his motivation to stay.

Based on the USAG statement, the leadership looks like it is in a self reinforcing bubble. It's an unfortunate but not uncommon response. I know that the organization is entangled in litigation, but there are things Penny could have said that would not have damaged their legal interests. Even if he and the rest of the top administrative staff believe he has done nothing wrong, it's disappointing that they don't realize that a change in leadership is important for the future of the organization.

Based on the USAG statement, the leadership looks like it is in a self reinforcing bubble. It's an unfortunate but not uncommon response. I know that the organization is entangled in litigation, but there are things Penny could have said that would not have damaged their legal interests. Even if he and the rest of the top administrative staff believe he has done nothing wrong, it's disappointing that they don't realize that a change in leadership is important for the future of the organization.

Well said. Like a business, USAG has its mission and goals, and the org must work in the best interest of and to protect all its stakeholders. A business also must control the PR spin and ensure the org's brand is positive, strong and untarnished. When a business epically fails on multiple levels, the stakeholders demand that a complete change in leadership takes place in order to get the ship back on course.

I will be floored if there is not a complete revamping of USAG soon.

Is penny gone or what? People are saying that they heard he is, but I just got some usag Parent email expecting it to be an announcement, but I don't see any mention of him in it? Is the usag trying to keep him in place in spite of the USOC recommendation?

Is penny gone or what? People are saying that they heard he is, but I just got some usag Parent email expecting it to be an announcement, but I don't see any mention of him in it? Is the usag trying to keep him in place in spite of the USOC recommendation?
Well, it's his signature on the letter from USAG, so I guess not....yet???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back