USAG says Cheer is a sport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The thing i don't like about cheer is well this video should show it: YouTube - My Back Tuck Progress I don't like how cheer has no many 'untrained coaches' and aren't particular about form or anything, I feel that gymnastics coaches go through ALOT more training than cheer coaches.

This has been my biggest concern watching the cheer teams at our gym. I have observed quite a few nasty spills especially with the younger squad. There is no spotting at practice, especially since the 2nd coach quit. Recently, I saw one of the smaller girls (she's about 7 years old) face plant onto the floor when the 2 older girls holding her didn't let her legs go when she lost balance. The coach was a good 8 feet away. :confused: At least with gymnastics, I feel like our coaches are more "hands on" especially as the skills get tougher. If the USAG can bring more structure and training to cheer, that would be so much better for these girls.

OK can they enforce the same rules for attire as USAG enforces for gymnastics then-- some of the little cheer girls look like JonBenet Ramsey to me. I don't know why it's come to little girls in skimpy outfits with too much makeup on. IMO very tacky. USAG doesn't allow make-up earrings other than studs or nail polish- lets see them clean up cheer a bit.

I am perfectly fine with it being called a sport- it takes a lot of hard work and athleticism to do competitive gymnastics-- but please set some standards for dress and appearance. In addition to standards for coaching qualifications and coach training.

OK can they enforce the same rules for attire as USAG enforces for gymnastics then-- some of the little cheer girls look like JonBenet Ramsey to me. I don't know why it's come to little girls in skimpy outfits with too much makeup on. IMO very tacky. USAG doesn't allow make-up earrings other than studs or nail polish- lets see them clean up cheer a bit.

I am perfectly fine with it being called a sport- it takes a lot of hard work and athleticism to do competitive gymnastics-- but please set some standards for dress and appearance. In addition to standards for coaching qualifications and coach training.

I like the outfits they use for the NCAA stunts and acrobatic thing. Sort of like under armour shirts and spandex shorts. Looks athletic. I understand the argument for tight fitting clothes, but in my opinion by wearing skirts you kind of obscure that, since they're riding up and needing to be adjusted whenever the girls tumble.

Does USAG really not allow make-up? I know DD's coaches say no makeup for the younger kids, but the older girls certainly wear make-up at every meet I've ever been to. I know the elites wear make-up too.

Does USAG really not allow make-up? I know DD's coaches say no makeup for the younger kids, but the older girls certainly wear make-up at every meet I've ever been to. I know the elites wear make-up too.

I'm sure USAG allows make-up. Our coach's rule is "if they wear makeup to school, they can wear makeup to the meet." In other words, the older girls wear makeup but the younger ones don't get all dolled up just to compete.

It's allowed. I think some is okay, but full cheer makeup it is like nothing you will see at any gymnastics meet (tons of bright eyeshadow, fake lashes, etc). The NCAA practice of decals placed on the face has even spread to some JO meets, and it's also a common practice in cheer but that's the least of the makeup there. It's the performance aspect. This is also done in competitive dance which shares a lot of crossover with the cheer world. I personally do not care for noticeable makeup in gymnastics (I am not talking about what I would consider "subtle" makeup worn for televised competitions). But, I guess it really depends on where the emphasis is - on the "performance" aspect overall, or on the acrobatic elements (stunts and tumbling). The new interscholastic competition organization at the university level seems to have chosen to focus on stunts and tumbling rather than performance, in essence distancing these squads from the programs that the schools maintain as "spirit squads" - performance cheer and dance teams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back