usaigc vs. usag-PLEASE HELP ME!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daugther is at a gym that is usaigc. She has the opportunity to move to a gym that is closer to us, but more expensive, but is usag. I am new to gymnastics so I don't know which is better.

She is competing bronze working on silver skills at the usaigc gym. She would be competing level 4 at the usag gym.

Please help! I have researched some, but it is still confusing. I am new to this site so I don't know if I will be able to find my way back to this post.

So if I can't, could someone please email me at

[email protected]

thanks so much!
denise

In a nutshell.... USAG is a much more competitive program. It all depends on what you and your daughter want out of the sport. If your daughter is trying to become elite or aim for a college scholarship, she really needs to be in the USAG program.

usag vs. usaigc

thanks. she is 7 now and has been in it only 1 year. she has progressed quickly and really enjoys the sport. as a parent, I just want to make a good decision for her. I would hate to take her out of this gym if it wasn't in her best interest.

how long has your daughter been competing? thanks again
denise

My daughter has only been competing for going on 4 years. She's a late starter (Level 4 as an 11 year old). She's now 14 and a Level 7... but things definitely get harder as you move up! She has dealt with injuries as well as mental blocks and fears in the last year. It's been difficiult, but she keeps plugging away at it!

With your DD only being 7, I'd definitely keep it more fun than pushing the competitiveness... esp. if she's in a program she's very happy with and is progressing well. If you decide to switch to a USAG program at a later date, she can always compete 1 meet at each level and qualify out until she reaches an optional level. It's not as if whatever decision you make right now is going to "make or break" her! Have fun!

thanks

Thanks again for your help. I think we will take a practice class at the new gym and see how she likes it. After writing everything down, talking to her and my husband, I think we are starting to lean toward the new gym. -usag. not sure though.

gosh, such a tough decision at such a young age. she says she will work hard and like it wherever she is as long as she is doing it.

denise

Welcome to CB. I can't really answer your question as I don't know anything about USAGIC. My DD is 9 has competed USAG L3 last year and will compete L4 this coming fall.

I don't know about competing USAIGC either, I just know it's a little less pressure and competitive. My older daughter (7) is going to compete level 7 this coming season. My other DD is working on her L4 skills. Glad to have you here!

Hi, and welcome!
I may not 100% on this, but I believe USAG is more of an Olympic/College Scholarship track. More time is spent perfecting skills from hand, fingers, and even toes, form is important. The program is probably more hours and a little more intense than USAIGC although some gyms compete both. USAICG trains the skills quicker, less hours and form is not as important. Some chose the USAIGC because of hours (less) and it tends to be more fun and less stressful or allows girls to do gymnastics along with some other sports while USAG programs range from 9-12 hrs/week for L4 or 12-16 for L5 and more for Optional levels. Here in NJ we also have JOGA which is very similar only gyms that do JOGA can't compete USAG and JOGA while some gyms that do USAG *CAN* do USAICG. Some that compete USAG use the USAIGC to throw some of their new skills at a meet without the stress of trying to qualify for sectionals and states. Hope this helps and I believe we do have a couple USAIGC ers here that can add more.

I would allow your DD to practice with their team for awhile. While she may feel the L4 program is boring because of all the more advanced skills she is already doing, she will find they will probably spend some time correcting her form, conditioning and seeing how she does. It may be more expensive but it may be because she will be doing more hours a week. If she picks up quickly & transitions well, she may advance quickly thru the L4 and into L5 or L6.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!

thanks!!! :)

Wow! this site has been awesome! all the ideas, help, friendliness! We have almost come to the decision of switching her to USAG .

We are excited to try the first class...and see if she thinks it is a fit.

We hope to check out this site more often and see what more we can learn.

thanks a bunch!

denise:)

I am not too sure about usaigc, but I am thinking it is like the MDL (Mason Dixon League) or YMCA leagues. It isn't as competitive as the USAG and not nearly as expensive. My dd started in the MDL last year (age 9) and competed Level 4 and had an awesome first year and season. This year she moved up to Level A which is like the USAG Level 5 but it is optional so she gets her own floor, beam and bar routines!!! So much more flexibility and creativity allowed--something that my dd thrives on. For us, I feel that this type of MDL program is a better fit because it still lets her work hard, master skills and compete, but still allows her the freedom and extra time to do other sports and school activities. She is also taking dance class and a cheer stunting class (was a cheerleader for 3 years before making the switch to gymnastics and LOVES to fly in stunts) and still has time to hang out and play with friends and do school activities. The best of both worlds!!!!

Good luck to your dd and remember that having fun and enjoying herself is the most important thing. If she doesn't love it and have fun then it is not worth it at the age of 7.

I know you already chose USAG, but I thought I'd input on this since I compete USAIGC.

USAG is more strict with rules and hourly commitment. However, this league will take you much farther in gymnastics.
USAIGC is more relaxed competitions and the judges may judge a little easier (I'm not positive though) It still practices in the teen (13+) hours a week, but if you have to miss a practice it is no big deal. However, in this league there is a less likely chance of scholorships to college and becoming elite. Although it is still possible! But there is no elite program I guess I could say in this league. You cant move from L10 to Elite. You go up to the highest level and pretty much stay there.

again our thanks!

Thanks to all of your thoughts! We have pretty much decided to go with the new gym...usag. Now I need to figure out a way to let her current coach know. I told my husband, I would like to leave it friendly so if she doesn't like it, she has the option to go back.

I would hate for her to hate her new gym and not be able to go back to her old gym, thus having to quit. That would really be bad for her.

Next week would be her last week and I don't know when I should tell the coach. Was thinking tonight...but not sure. I feel I owe her kind words.

??????????????????????

Wouldn't level 4 be easy for her if she was a Bronze/Silver? I would think she would be a 5 at the least, maybe a 6, or even a 7, if she had her Silver skills down!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back