WAG Vault springboard for elite/FIG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
Hi!

I posted a similar question a couple years ago, but I was asking about JO. Now I am interested in elite requirements.

Is there a particular brand springboard that is required for use in FIG competition? Which board is used most commonly? What about spring configurations and number of springs? Are these mandated?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think Fig controls the brand of board used. What they concern themselves with is uniformity in the shape and dimensions of the board. Their stated policy, as I understand it from kinda long ago, is they don't control the materials used for the board and the spring action, but they have specifications that have to be adhered to and proven through formal testing.

most manufacturers boards are FIG approved for elite competitions. last time i looked, you get 2 choices. on AAI, 3 in the front, 1 in the center and 2 in the rear equaling 6. or 3 in the front, 3 in the middle and 2 in the rear equaling 8. this could have changed and i don't know it yet. currently our elite uses the 6 spring configuration.

Are all springs the same? Are some springs tighter or looser (or even taller or shorter?) causing some boards to feel harder than others that are the same brand with equal springs? If the goal is to compete elite, is there ever a reason to change the configuration by adding an extra spring (putting in 7) for training purposes? I would think that not only would it be harder to punch, but it would feel different without the middle spring in there, but what do I know....

Are all springs the same? Are some springs tighter or looser (or even taller or shorter?) causing some boards to feel harder than others that are the same brand with equal springs? If the goal is to compete elite, is there ever a reason to change the configuration by adding an extra spring (putting in 7) for training purposes? I would think that not only would it be harder to punch, but it would feel different without the middle spring in there, but what do I know....

1. they are all tight. and depending on the manufacturer they could comparatively be taller and shorter and different colors that connote firmness.

2. yes. could be do to a weight/power change in the athlete. general rule is that the tighter the board, the better the vault. spongy boards are no good but work well with slow twitched gymnasts. you just don't find that at a world class elite level. they are all fast as hell and powerful beyond comprehension and they need tight boards. but for example, the Gymnova board is the most firm board that we have used. some athletes have problems with its firmness. but not all. but it doesn't matter anyway cause once the competition is upon you, you can't touch the springs in the board. same as not being able to move the uneven bars. the elites all work the same identical equipment with FIG metrics.

3. a middle spring does make the board more firm. as i said, the more firm the better. if the firmness is not spread equally thru the board a gymnast can 'bottom out' the board. young kids and lower level vaulters can vault without a middle spring.

I don't think Fig controls the brand of board used. What they concern themselves with is uniformity in the shape and dimensions of the board. Their stated policy, as I understand it from kinda long ago, is they don't control the materials used for the board and the spring action, but they have specifications that have to be adhered to and proven through formal testing.

actually, they do. and with FIG metrics in order for any equipment to be FIG approved for FIG competitions. they control everything.

I recently switched my 4 foot 60 pound Hopes kid to 6 springs and 125..... In my opinion mandating a small child to vault on the same setting as the Sr Elites is counter productive in some cases (creates a high entry when the vault is actually taller than the kid). That's my 2 cent rant, not that it will ever change anything... FIG is cemented in it's ways.

All our kids from about L4 and up use FIG settings and FIG boards in Quebec. Not the best for 9 year olds who weigh nothing. Dumb system as it is a rare kid who goes from provincial to Elite gymnastics here.

Elite boards come in two flavors; hard and soft. Specs are here (pg74)
http://figdocs.sportcentric.net/external/serve.php?document=3792
Dunno is right, you cannot change the springs!

Thanks so much for all the replies! They were very helpful.

Can someone tell me what it means to have a hard vs. soft board. Is that referring to the surface of the board? Or does it mean that one board is firmer than the other--as in harder to punch? Are all elite competitions required to provide both choices?

Thanks so much for all the replies! They were very helpful.

Can someone tell me what it means to have a hard vs. soft board. Is that referring to the surface of the board? Or does it mean that one board is firmer than the other--as in harder to punch? Are all elite competitions required to provide both choices?
==
Someone correct me if is am wrong, but it is my understanding that the board marked with a circle is the hard board and it has 8 springs, which cannot be removed. The other board is considered the soft board and it has 6 springs that cannot be removed.

yep, those are the 2 choices. 6 or 8. in international meets, those springs are secured by a U shaped hose clamp with screws. lol. there ain't no moving those springs.

justanothergymmom, the more springs the harder or firm the board. the less springs makes it softer or less firm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back