WAG Vent- right in the middle of gym changes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
Anyone have any encouraging stories to share of new gyms opening up in the area and the old gym and new gym getting along and everyone living happily ever after? Sure could use a fairytale ending right now....

I completely understand how you feel! Our old head coach/co-owner left in March (3 weeks before optional state). She took half the team and most of the team coaches with her. The other co-owner (current sole owner) was totally prepared and had an entirely new coaching staff ready to take over the very day the split happened. That was great and we really love all the new coaches. My daughter has never learned so much so quickly. Since the change, she has learned her full, flipped her tsuk, got her giant and is close to flipping her yurchenko.

However, the split has been very hard emotionally on the girls from both gyms. Friendships were split, girls fought and feelings were hurt. We didn't follow the old coach because she turned into a not so nice person toward the end. I decided that I would rather have my DD coached by people that were more in line with our beliefs and who were positive coaches. I also really love the current owner. Our DDs are very close and have become the leaders of the team.

Things are slowly starting to calm down. I too think the new gym will force our gym to become even better. Our gym has already made some great changes and business is booming. The gym is adding classes and coaches right now, which is almost unheard of in our area during the summer. We've even added new team girls from other area gyms who were encouraged to move to us so they could work with one of our new coaches. The owners are being very particular in who they ask to join team. All families are aware that drama will not be tolerated. I really love this part because we had some very dramatic, over involved parents that followed the old coach. We are definitely a stronger and closer team than in years past.

Good luck during this difficult time. It is hard right now, but things will get better.

Sent from my MB855 using ChalkBucket mobile app

We have a new gym opening in our area. At first there was drama and a few people left. But the general consensus now seems to be that it would be too risky to follow this coach to a brand new gym. And over the course of the summer we have gotten some great new optionals that have moved in. At this point I am not worried about a mass exodus or anything. But there are hard feelings and it is a touchy subject to say the least.

Anyone have any encouraging stories to share of new gyms opening up in the area and the old gym and new gym getting along and everyone living happily ever after? Sure could use a fairytale ending right now....

Oh sure, there is Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, elves, pots of gold at the end of rainbows, and of course Unicorns! Keep that sense of humor as it's invaluable!
Seriously, never heard of it nor could I imagine it, but it would be nice. They don't call it 'competitive gymnastics' for nothing.

THEY LEFT THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO STATE!!!! That coach is the lowest form of pond scum in our coaching community. Absolutely NO reason why they could of waited until after regionals or nationals... We are teaching children in this sport and this coach apparently is all about Him/Her self. Sad and frowned upon by the entire community.

And to the op, NO they will hate each other forever.

coachp, I suppose you are going to tell me unicorns don't exist either? In seriousness, we actually went through this 4 years ago and it was a mess but within about 2 years our gym was actually in a much better off place than before the new gym. I do think there is something to be said for competition. It's a little harder now though, my dd is a teenager and so she is much more in the middle of all the drama. It was easier to protect her from all the drama when she was 9. Her team is split, there are lots of hurt feelings and LOTS of rumors. And to make it all even harder we are in a state of limbo right now, unsure which place is going to be the best fit. So while I am fantasizing I would like a crystal ball so I can see the future.

coachp, I suppose you are going to tell me unicorns don't exist either? In seriousness, we actually went through this 4 years ago and it was a mess but within about 2 years our gym was actually in a much better off place than before the new gym. I do think there is something to be said for competition. It's a little harder now though, my dd is a teenager and so she is much more in the middle of all the drama. It was easier to protect her from all the drama when she was 9. Her team is split, there are lots of hurt feelings and LOTS of rumors. And to make it all even harder we are in a state of limbo right now, unsure which place is going to be the best fit. So while I am fantasizing I would like a crystal ball so I can see the future.
==
What do you mean? Unicorns don't exist? :)

A new gym opened up in my area last summer, about a year ago. A lot of girls from our team switched because the new gym was larger, had more equipment, and many more things. Hardly ANY of the girls who switched liked it. By the time we were competing, 2 of them had switched back to my gym, 1 had quit gymnastics, another had switched to an entirely different gym, and out of the few that were left at the new gym, only one of them really liked it. We all were happy to have some of our teammates/friends back and the ones still at the new gym have come to summer camp and vacation camp practice, so we see them too. :)

DD belongs to the "new gym in town." We came from the Y and not from "the other gym" so we're not so much part of the drama, but it would be great if they could all just get along because all of our meets are at least 2.5 hours away and it would be great to be able to go to their meets (and have them at ours) here in town. Is that likely to ever happen, I wonder?

Gymnastics is one of the most cut throat sports I have seen in regards to politics. Cant the girls still be friends outside the gym? Rumors are ugly and hurtful. In my opinion owners/coaches should do what they can to stifle that so it doesn't interfere with training. I know the new gym in our area is letting other gyms know when their gymnasts come to check them out. I am sure everyone has different reasons for leaving or staying but in the end it is all about what the girls are getting out of it that is important. Good Luck!:goodvibes:

THEY LEFT THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO STATE!!!! That coach is the lowest form of pond scum in our coaching community. Absolutely NO reason why they could of waited until after regionals or nationals... We are teaching children in this sport and this coach apparently is all about Him/Her self. Sad and frowned upon by the entire community.

And to the op, NO they will hate each other forever.

and you too. lol. carry on. :)

If there is even a remote possibility of a lawsuit no one should be discussing it as it could be potentially harmful to the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back