Videotaping Other Gymnast During Competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

These parents only taped my daughter's routines so I just find that a little odd. Anyway I will talk to the gym about the policy and also speak to the parents to try to get an idea why. It was several parents. I should just take it in stride I know but it just took me by suprise. See, first meets are a learning experience for everyone, including parents.

Bottom line: We all have to sign releases at our children's schools in order for the school to use any photos or videotapes.

I still think this is really creepy and out of line for the dad to only tape the one child's routine. Yes, it is a "public" forum... however with all the internet crap going on these days, I bet it is a matter of time before someone tries to clamp down on the misuse of videos in events such as young kids' gymnastics competitions.

One mom from my gym used to do that, but to girls from another gym! Then her and her daughter would watch them back and say, ''This is how they are scoring higher than you.'' I think she only did that in level 4 and 5 though.. The girl is a level 7 now.

Agh! :eek: Crazy gym mom.

I didn't think that I was doing anything creepy when I dedicated several hours yesterday to videotaping my daughter and her teammates in a mock meet (held to prepare them for the upcoming optional season, which begins for them in ten weeks), and then devoted additional hours to editing the tape and burning it to discs that I'll distribute today to the coaches and all the parents.

The coaches typically watch all the video that I give them, and then they sit down with some of the girls if they think that portions of the video will help them to emphasize teaching points. That's turned out to be very helpful. I've been doing this periodically for the upper-level girls for years, just as another parent photographs all the team girls at every (!) meet.

While it can certainly be useful for each athlete to watch video of her own performance, watching other athletes can be helpful, too. My daughter's coach makes a point of showing her video of other athletes; in particular they spend time with youtube videos of worlds, the Chinese national championships, and the like, where they find videos of the warm-ups and practice sessions especially useful to see how the athletes prepare--but perhaps the main point is to convey skill progressions to show dd how she can get from where she is to where she wants to be. I think watching a good performance at any level could be helpful. USAG distributes video of of the compulsory routines, but watching more than one kid might be useful so long as the video was not accompanied by inartful or ill-informed comments from a parent. I'd consider it a complement if someone thought that my child's routines could be used as an example of how it's done.

rbw... I don't believe the OP is addressing an issue where a parent has agreed to tape EVERYONE, and then creating CD's to distribute to everyone. This is a post about a really weird dad, who has taped w/o anyone's permission and has taped ONLY her daughter. The bottom line is that you're doing something to benefit everyone on your DD's team... along w/the coaches acknowledgement. Totally different situation and can't be compared to the OP's question.

Ok I would rather parents ask me if its ok but unfortunatly its a public meet and anyone who pays the fee can come and watch take pictures etc. So I don't think there is anything you can really do about it. Its all part of being on a team that competes in a public arena. We don't have to like it but it's going to happen just the same.

rbw- I think what you are doing for your team sounds fantastic. It is a team video and it benefits all of the team and the coaches. It also sounds like you put a lot of effort and dedication into doing it so kudos to you! I think if someone did that on our team, everyone would really appreciate that. I do agree that gymnasts can learn from watching good routines.
The situation I am refering to is a little different but I am not necessarily adverse to people videotaping my gymmie, just the circumstances where just plain wierd.

Tumblequeensmom—

Occasionally, though, I did videotape kids from other teams—and without discussing it with their parents. Sometimes it was because meets can seem extremely long, it’s quite difficult to read in the bleachers, I have a short attention span, and the kid was doing something interesting when I happened to have a camera hung around my neck, but sometimes it was because I’d seen the athlete before and I knew that she could do a beautiful job performing a skill my daughter was working on at the time. My daughter watched those tapes just as she now watches the youtube videos of world-class athletes with her coach: to see if it could help her to improve. A year or two ago I had a private message discussion with another father on this board in which I remarked that my daughter had learned something helpful from the video that I'd shot of his child’s routine a couple of years earlier; he graciously took that comment as a compliment based on our mutual understanding that his daughter is a terrific gymnast. I suppose, though, that even that sort of unauthorized videotaping is a bit different than those discussed in the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, my opinion is to non-chalantly ask the videographer dad why he video'd your daughter. Get the point of view of the other party before pointing fingers. If you still aren't satisfied with his intentions kindly ask him to prearrange this in the future being totally honest that it is unnerving to know there is uncontrolled video of your daughter out there. It is truly a privacy issue, similar to internet privacy issues.

So... presenting another question to the panel. For those lurking the technical corner, you would know I have some questions regarding my state judge's consistency in judging vault. To summarzie last year we scored low to mid 9.0's on vault, this year the same gymnasts are scoring 8.6 - 8.9. When I'm at a meet, I am obviously focusing on my team and it's difficult to get a good "viewing sampling" of gymnasts competing from other teams and the scores being awarded. I was planning on setting up a camera to stay on vault this next home meet to get a better idea of how the rest of the gyms are actually performing the vaults. For all I know I've fabricated this opinion in my mind and need some justification.

What does everyone feel about video'ing everyone in the entire meet on one event? Similar to how high school/college football teams video other teams plays to learn their strengths/weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my daughter joined level 3 the parents were given a handbook to welcome the girls (and their parents) to the team and how it works, etc. They had one section that I liked that was Warning Signs for Parents. This section dealt with warning signs parents could look for in themselves if their interest in their daughter's gymnastic became intrusive to the child. One of the warning signs was taping your child and then making them watch and analyze the video on the child's performance. I can only imagine what they would think if another parent videotaped someone else's child and then made their own child review it (if that is the case in this situation). My goodness, the girl is five! This seems a bit excessive and bizarre to me. I wonder if since you are at such a competitive gym that this behavior and excessive parent interest is considered normal???

First, my opinion is to non-chalantly ask the videographer dad why he video'd your daughter. Get the point of view of the other party before pointing fingers. If you still aren't satisfied with his intentions kindly ask him to prearrange this in the future being totally honest that it is unnerving to know there is uncontrolled video of your daughter out there. It is truly a privacy issue, similar to internet privacy issues.

So... presenting another question to the panel. For those lurking the technical corner, you would know I have some questions regarding my state judge's consistency in judging vault. To summarzie last year we scored low to mid 9.0's on vault, this year the same gymnasts are scoring 8.6 - 8.9. When I'm at a meet, I am obviously focusing on my team and it's difficult to get a good "viewing sampling" of gymnasts competing from other teams and the scores being awarded. I was planning on setting up a camera to stay on vault this next home meet to get a better idea of how the rest of the gyms are actually performing the vaults. For all I know I've fabricated this opinion in my mind and need some justification.

What does everyone feel about video'ing everyone in the entire meet on one event? Similar to how high school/college football teams video other teams plays to learn their strengths/weaknesses.

Honestly, I don't know, because it depends on the relationships you have with the other coaches, etc. Personally I would find this a bit bizarre and would even be put off by it. I think first it would be better to open some sort of dialogue through your state USAG association, put it out in the open, so everyone knows what's going on and can discuss the need for adjusting standards or whatever. I think just setting up a video camera to tape the whole meet seems sort of openly out of good faith, you know? I mean I understand the intention behind it and would even support it, I'm just saying think about how it looks. I would recommend at least start with something a little more discreet and try to have another coach watch a little more or something.

I think something is getting a little lost in translation. More than one parent videotaped my daughter and only my daughter. Nobody ran it by me or my husband. There is the one parent who I worry about. He is obsessive. And too, she is only 5. Five, let's keep it real. It's not like she is a level 9/10 doing fantastic routines. Yes, they are descent but far from perfect.

If it troubles you greatly, you owe it to your DD to question the parents who have taped your DD. Either that or move gyms. DD is your main priority. Keeping it all sane for her is the priority. Why do we adults tell children to act their age, but we tend to lag behind in our own advice.
I watch DD sleep, and it is at this time that I often catch myself praying that I do all I can to protect her. The child is what I consider first. How will my actions, or my inactions affect her.
You may need to just march right up to these certain parents and ask why. The tension will well up instead if you don't.

I think something is getting a little lost in translation. More than one parent videotaped my daughter and only my daughter. Nobody ran it by me or my husband. There is the one parent who I worry about. He is obsessive. And too, she is only 5. Five, let's keep it real. It's not like she is a level 9/10 doing fantastic routines. Yes, they are descent but far from perfect.

I didn't realize that more than ONE parent was taping your child. Obviously this bothers you (it would totally bother me so I can relate) and I would definitely say something. I would first bring the concern up to the coach and let them know that more than one person was videotaping your dd and you were NOT asked permission. Just let them know that it weirded you out a bit and ask to have the coaches put out a "reminder" of videotaping etiquette. That's all you can really do, especially since it is at an open meet that is public. It does sound like you have a very competitive gym so "talking" to the obsessive dad may not do any good. It's a tricky situation. But at least you can let the coaches handle it and see what transpires. Good luck. Crazy obsessive parents are no fun. I've dealt with enough cheer parents to know what you are going through.

I would definitely find it odd and a bit off-puttiing that other parents were filming my child. Having said that, and especially if multiple people were doing it, I think you should assume that they are doing it because she is a good gymnast and not because they have some prurient interest in your daughter. It sounds like from your posts that your daughter is an exceptionally talented gymnast who would be competing level 5 if not for the age requirement. My daughter is competing level 5 right now. If there were a level 7 demonstrating level 5 routines at one of her meets I might very well tape that. I also think that this might explain some of the negative feedback your daughter has received. Of course, this doesn't excuse the bad behavior.

Yes she could definately be competing up and doing ok.
Let me just add that this parent sat through the whole meet comparing his daughter to my daughter on every apparatus. He was constantly questioning me about why his daughter had no falls but consistently scored lower, sometimes by 2+ points. I just had to say honestly his daughter did a great job and that I am not a judge. He acted like I should have the information and was frustrated. He sat by me after I had been seated. I wish I could have moved but we were packed like sardines. I did not realize he was videotaping my child because I tried to be polite and talk to my other neighbors and watch all the gymmies. It was at the end as we were all leaving that he announced that he got it all on video.

Boy I sure would have to be the daughters of those parents videotaping your child. Can you imagine the pressure??

I guess part of the reason this is so troubling to me is, as someone else has said, she is ONLY 5 years old. She is not performing intricate skills, she is not in competition for a scholarship, elite qualification, whatever!!! This is a young child who is learning the sport.

Boy I sure would have to be the daughters of those parents videotaping your child. Can you imagine the pressure??

I guess part of the reason this is so troubling to me is, as someone else has said, she is ONLY 5 years old. She is not performing intricate skills, she is not in competition for a scholarship, elite qualification, whatever!!! This is a young child who is learning the sport.

I totally agree Lynn!! And the sad part about it is that MANY of these young kids that are put under so much pressure end up dropping out of the sport because they hate it. I have seen it so much in cheerleading and gymnastics.

Tumblequeensmom- It was me, her mother who said she is only five and not competing level 9/10 with beautiful routines. They are decent but not perfect and very basic compulsary routines. What is so exciting about level 3 routines when it isn't even your child? Go figure.
Level 3 at our gym is supposed to be a fun level for kids to compete and just enjoy it. Our gym doesn't even care about scores at level 3. They are trying to teach the girls how to behave at a meet and also to let them get used to competing. All of the meets are optional, come if you want, don't if you are busy.
We do have some awesome parents at our gym too so it isn't all bad. The coaches are fantastic and so are the gymmies.

Last edited:
however with all the internet crap going on these days, I bet it is a matter of time before someone tries to clamp down on the misuse of videos in events such as young kids' gymnastics competitions.

At one of our competitions, everyone had to 'sign in' all photographic equipment, and there was a big sign on the wall saying that you were only allowed to photograph your own child. I don't think they had any way to police it, but at least there was a rule.

One of the warning signs was taping your child and then making them watch and analyze the video on the child's performance.

I did this so that my DD could watch and see what things she did well and what she could improve on. She loved seeing herself on video and we sent the videos to her aunts and grandparents so they could see her perform. I can see that it would be a warning sign if you went through the video obsessively, picking apart their performance in a negatively critical way, or putting heaps of pressure on them to get it perfect. The video can be a useful tool, it all depends on how it is used.

I once did video the beam routine of another girl on my DD's team, because she is the best on the team and I wanted my DD to see what a good routine looks like. It is possible these parents video'd your DD for the same reason - because they know she is good. It isn't nice if they are sitting near you complaining about her high scores, though. It also isn't good if they are going to make their DDs watch the video of your DD and then put pressure on their DDs to be like your DD. I feel kind of sorry for those other girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back