Videotaping Other Gymnast During Competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nicki- We played back the meet once on our tv the day after because her dad and brother wanted to see it. Her brother wasn't able to come to the meet. We asked her if she wanted to come and watch it and she had no interest whatsoever in seeing herself on video. I thought it was kind of funny. She was too busy cartwheeling and playing with her dolls.

Is your DD the youngest, or the smallest, the perceived "best", or the most "built" or something in her level? There may be a perfectly ordinary reason why several parents wanted to film only her. Not saying it's "right", or that you should like it .... just that it sounds more like there was a reason why she caught several parents' eye. At least it wasn't only the creepy Dad filming her - if it was, I'd wonder more at his motives. But in these circumstances, it is more likely that he was filming her for the same reason that the others were (whatever that reason is).

So come to think of it if I could get all the footage I could make a really cool video.
I do exactly that. I have used the footages to produce slideshows and videos for our club events. I am able to do that because I tape the other teammates every chance I get. I am NOT a professional but my interest, intention and action are openly known to everyone (except for the rookie parents)..

Occasionally, I tape gymnasts from other gyms as well at a meet if there was something special in that routine to see or to learn from. I have had a coach requesting the taping of particular routines for that same reason.

Sorry to say through all this I have never asked for prior permission, not meaning to be disrespectful.

Like already pointed out... Even though I don't condone people doing it for the wrong reasons (certainly when I find out it is being done to my daughters) but a meet site is a public place, just like it is for any exhibition, show or concert, etc without vid/photo restrictions. We as parents have to be keep in mind that just by virtue of performing in public, you're signing up your daughters to be exposed to the world to see. It's like if you kid is a dancer; you should not be surprised if she ends up in someone's camera or camcorder. It you are protective of this, the only thing you can do is to try limiting the level of distribution, maybe at a personal level in your case - no different than if someone was staring at you on a bus and you want them to stop.

Yes she could definately be competing up and doing ok.
Let me just add that this parent sat through the whole meet comparing his daughter to my daughter on every apparatus. He was constantly questioning me about why his daughter had no falls but consistently scored lower, sometimes by 2+ points. I just had to say honestly his daughter did a great job and that I am not a judge. He acted like I should have the information and was frustrated. He sat by me after I had been seated. I wish I could have moved but we were packed like sardines. I did not realize he was videotaping my child because I tried to be polite and talk to my other neighbors and watch all the gymmies. It was at the end as we were all leaving that he announced that he got it all on video.
OK, this response explains a lot, more than all your other posts. You have a team dad who is obsessive about his daughter's RELATIVE shortcomings. He targets one kid as a reference point and it happens to be yours (due to merit I assume). However, whether it was this or something else, you don't care to be around him especially when he is constantly comparing his daughter with yours.

He did tell you about the taping so I don't think he's doing it out of ill intentions, other than he might be overboard with this thing with his kid's performance and scores.

OK, here is what I would do. Talk to the guy and tell him gently to stop. No one else need to be involved. Problem solved! Based on your description of him, I speculate that he will. What may happen is that he may not ever speak to you again. But again, problem solved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back