Voluntaries in the autumn level 5 bars metal or wooden?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

floppycat

Proud Parent
Many regions had a level 5 on metal bars in the Spring with giants. Will the autumn comps also be metal? We've done a few friendly level 5s and they gave all been wooden bars like the old level 5. I'm hoping for metal for the regionals as DD finds them easier. Will ask the coach if I get a chance but was wondering if anybody knows.

Think we are the same region and last year voluntary 5 was on wooden bar but don't think all (if any) did giant routines. I know things have changed for 2014 but if my mind is not muddled didn't level 5 pretty much stay the same? Sorry - not really much help at all!

I think that now a lot of regions have brought in metal bar for compulsory 5 and compulsory 4 is on metal bar that maybe it will come in for level 5 too. Or at least a single bar routine on wood. Maybe something like trolley swing to long upstart cast back hip circle cast baby giant then some kind of dismount like underswing or straddle shoot.

Who knows. Another reason for level 5 in age and compulsory 5 to be set nationally. At the moment some have upstarts and some don't and some have giants and some don't and some are on wood and some on metal. Quite confusing to know what BG really want from the younger gymnasts.

my dd will be doing the gm open next weekend which will be like a practise for voluntary level 5 in september. She is doing a wood bar routine and i assume all the rest will also be. There are gymnasts from lots of different regions in her level 5 category so it will be interesting to see what they all do.

My dd did voluntary level 5 last year which was on wood bar and I think it should stay as a wood bar routine because it gives gymnasts chance to compete both metal and wood and it's good practice for voluntary 4 . I wouldn't like my dd to have just been working on metal bar for most of the year. My dd competed giants but in her region there was no bonus for this at level 5.

Thanks for the replies it's as clear as mud. Probably not a problem for DD as she has competed both on wood and metal and can do upstarts on both and giants on metal but not wooden but will probably get there by Sept. Roll on next year when at least all the level 4 comps will be the same. Seen on the Alpha Factor website that they are doing a pre level 4 comp in October, will ask coach if DD will be entered for that although not convinced she will be ready as the focus over the summer is the regionals and there isn't much time til the AlphaFactor comp. All so complicated.

Agreed as clear as mud :)

I saw the pre level 4 information. Looks interesting. The 2006 girls can do level 5, pre level 4 or level 4 so lots of choice.

I don't think it is that common to giant on wood in level 5 even where it is a bonus but with the changes to compulsory 4 bars I think it will become more common.

At the greater manchester open last weekend the bar routines for the level 5s were mostly float upstart, backward circle, squat on jump to high bar, long upstart then straddle undershoot dismount. Some girls did straddle undershoot half turn dismounts and i think some did baby giants and one girl did a backaway dismount. Two of the girls out of 19 competed giants.

That was in age level 5, there was no out of age level 5 category. The winning bar routine was float upstart, squat on jump to high bar, long upstart then straddle undershoot.

Oh I saw that routine it was just beautiful! I think it was the only e score of 9 in the whole competition on bars beam or floor.

The backaway on the other hand was terrifying. We were sitting in the stands cringing every time she attempted it. Needless to say it crashed big time in the competition routine. Brave kid to keep going for it but really why the rush.

I was surprised to see some of the level 5s doing round off tuck dismounts off beam seeing as level 4 is cartwheel tuck back, the round off tuck isnt needed til level 3. That was scary to watch and there were quite a few falls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back