Parents Warning: delete this Instagram follower

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That thread doesn't exist. I wish these kinds of threads were, maybe not still available, but at least the stories behind them.

I followed the recently deleted thread about Instagram, but I think there are lessons to be learned that are lost when threads are fully deleted. Closed from posting on, sure. But together rid of them entirely kind of bothers me.

That thread doesn't exist.

It sure does. But if it is not working for you, here is what it says. Written by me.

"It was brought to our attention Bribri514 might not be who she claimed to be. This information came from more than one trusted source during the last week.

Many old posts were reviewed and many inconsistencies found in her posts. We tried, without success, to verify the many facts she included in her threads. After working on trying to trace her through the internet we realised that this person has no internet presence beyond the Chalkbucket, a basic Facebook account and a post she wrote for the couch gymnast blog.

We know of no deaf gymnast of the calibre she claimed to be nor is she listed in the results for Nationals for any year or TOPs when she claimed to be there. She does not exist in her state meet results for any year since 2005, no records exist before that date. A high level coach in Colorado confirmed our suspicions that Bri did not exist as a L10 gymnast in his state.

We requested additional verification from her prior to banning her. She ignored the request, but we do know the PM was seen by her.

She had also created accounts for her mother and brother who would come along occasionally to reinforce her stories.

All three accounts have been banned.

We do not know what this persons intent here on the Chalkbucket was. For the safety of the community they have been banned.

Just another reminder that we do not really know who we are dealing with on the Internet, even when we think we do.

This topic is not open for discussion. You can PM me if you have additional information you wish to share."

It sure does. But if it is not working for you, here is what it says. Written by me.

"It was brought to our attention Bribri514 might not be who she claimed to be. This information came from more than one trusted source during the last week.

Many old posts were reviewed and many inconsistencies found in her posts. We tried, without success, to verify the many facts she included in her threads. After working on trying to trace her through the internet we realised that this person has no internet presence beyond the Chalkbucket, a basic Facebook account and a post she wrote for the couch gymnast blog.

We know of no deaf gymnast of the calibre she claimed to be nor is she listed in the results for Nationals for any year or TOPs when she claimed to be there. She does not exist in her state meet results for any year since 2005, no records exist before that date. A high level coach in Colorado confirmed our suspicions that Bri did not exist as a L10 gymnast in his state.

We requested additional verification from her prior to banning her. She ignored the request, but we do know the PM was seen by her.

She had also created accounts for her mother and brother who would come along occasionally to reinforce her stories.

All three accounts have been banned.

We do not know what this persons intent here on the Chalkbucket was. For the safety of the community they have been banned.

Just another reminder that we do not really know who we are dealing with on the Internet, even when we think we do.

This topic is not open for discussion. You can PM me if you have additional information you wish to share."
Ok sorry. I edited my last post to add comments about deleting threads. The opinion still stands, just not related to this thread obviously. Again, sorry.and thanks.

I agree-wish threads could be closed after point of discussion has been reached but not deleted.
My concern is that recent IG acct has since said people are lying/hating on her dd-she was obviously made aware of the discussion here. Folks (her followers) who are curious could come read the true story and realize she is not being fair to her old gym.

@edelweiss thank you for looking out for us- as a parent of mentioned gym, we would rather have the former post/discussion deleted. The parents and the gyms in our area/region will not be swayed by what is seen on IG- posted by a disgruntled parent or commented on by 180k little girls who have IG accounts and don't see the big picture. We are fortunate to have excellent coaches whose record and integrity speak for themselves and further defense is not necessary. The right decision is not always the easiest- but this to will pass - even quicker if it is not further discussed ;)

@edelweiss thank you for looking out for us- as a parent of mentioned gym, we would rather have the former post/discussion deleted. The parents and the gyms in our area/region will not be swayed by what is seen on IG- posted by a disgruntled parent or commented on by 180k little girls who have IG accounts and don't see the big picture. We are fortunate to have excellent coaches whose record and integrity speak for themselves and further defense is not necessary. The right decision is not always the easiest- but this to will pass - even quicker if it is not further discussed ;)
True true - best of luck to you all!

If an account on IG is not private, then anyone can see what is on it. Kids can be looking at ANYTHING that people post publicly. Your kids account being private does not manage the content they see at all.
Even if the account is private, their profile pic and user name is still searchable on Google. I've sent a message requesting IG create an *Opt out of Search engines* but until enough people make the same request I'm sure it's not a priority.

In the U.S., it's not legal for someone under age 13 to sign up for an account on Instagram, Facebook, etc. People do it, but it's not legal.

I have told my nine-year-old that there is zero chance we will be breaking that law. Then, when she's 13, I plan to unplug the internet router until she's 25. ;)
What stinks is that a smartphone comes preloaded with Instagram and Facebook apps... and you have to attach an email address to the phone. YG (10-1/2) got a new smartphone. I set up the email for her (fully monitored by me, but I had to change her year of birth, so I gave it my birthday)... Her Instagram is also monitored (by her stepmom)... and I let her use one of my Facebook accounts (I had 2) and I monitor that (internally) too. We also check her text messages and everything else she does with her phone.
It is the same with the older siblings (ages 12-1/2 to 16). They will remain fully monitored as long as someone else is paying the bills and they are under 18.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back