WAG Watching practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've just transitioned from watching all the time (when my DD was in rec classes) to only catching the last half hour or less now that she's on pre-team. I was watching all her hours for a week or so as we transitioned gyms to make sure the new gym was a good fit but 3 hour sessions are killer. I did notice that some of the other moms seem to stay and watch all the time though. If DD has a new skill she wants me to see or asks me to stay for some other reason, I'll stay, but for now, I'm okay with just catching the tail bit.

due to the travel distance, I am physically there......but most days if the weather is cool enough I'll stay out in the car (I can get wi-fi from the car depending on where I park ;) and I love that. I'm either on my laptop trolling the web or watching movies, reading (I read a LOT). If it's too hot/humid out I head inside with the books and laptop. The winter doesn't bother me as much....I keep a blanket and pillow in the car for keeping warm out in the parking lot. When I'm inside I'm usually not paying a ton of attention, unless I'm supposed to trying to catch training video for her for the recruiting process.

I stay due to distance. I do not watch. I have my corner where I really can't see much. I play on my iPad. Run on the treadmill upstairs.

Reactions: sce
I rarely watch little gymmie more than 30 minutes. Wouldn't you know I missed her first ROBHS!!! What are you gonna do lol?! She is very proud of herself because she got her first rip too!

I love to watch, but I watch everyone, not just my gymmie. She likes to try to get my attention and most of the time I look the other way and pretend not to notice. I have tried telling her that I watch her and not to pay any attention to me. I only get maybe once a week to watch her at practice, and if im lucky 2 due to work. This past Tuesday frightened me a bit as they were talking about doing backwalkovers and backhandsprings on beam. I almost poo'd my pants! I wanted to walk out so I didnt see anything bad happen. Thank God they only worked on the floor beams and no higher ones. I even do this with the older girls in the higher levels. Specially on vault where their heads come within like 2 inches to a faceplant on the vault. Scares the crap outta me. I told my hubby that we r going to need an on call ambulance every time we go to the gym just in case I have a heartattack watching some hard skill.

I love to watch, but I watch everyone, not just my gymmie. She likes to try to get my attention and most of the time I look the other way and pretend not to notice. I have tried telling her that I watch her and not to pay any attention to me. I only get maybe once a week to watch her at practice, and if im lucky 2 due to work. This past Tuesday frightened me a bit as they were talking about doing backwalkovers and backhandsprings on beam. I almost poo'd my pants! I wanted to walk out so I didnt see anything bad happen. Thank God they only worked on the floor beams and no higher ones. I even do this with the older girls in the higher levels. Specially on vault where their heads come within like 2 inches to a faceplant on the vault. Scares the crap outta me. I told my hubby that we r going to need an on call ambulance every time we go to the gym just in case I have a heartattack watching some hard skill.
This is why I don't watch as much as I used to! I now tell her to let me know when she is close and THEN I will watch :)

I honestly don't understand the watching thing, lol. My gym doesn't allow it and my parents never did... I know some girls like it and some moms do:)

The funny thing is, DDs old gym had VERY limited viewing - once every 6 weeks or so. I was like a dog with a bone with the watching. I couldn't get enough, constantly trying to sneak in the last 15 min or so. I'm sure I was super obnoxious.

New gym has a viewing window, and DD wants me to stay for practice, just until she's more comfortable with the new gym. Just knowing that I could watch the whole practice, every day, whenever I want, now I really have very little desire to watch. I hardly look up from my iPad. DD actually commented on it the other day. Now I have to make a conscious effort to look up every so often.

I honestly don't understand the watching thing, lol. My gym doesn't allow it and my parents never did... I know some girls like it and some moms do:)

Wait until you're a mom who rarely gets to see your young child because of this sport. Then you might understand..... :) Sometimes, the gym is about the only time we get to see them.

Kind of the same thing at my gym. In rec classes and pre team we had "observation day" every few weeks where parents and relatives could come watch, but once you're on team, the parents can't really watch. Some will come 10-15 minutes early so they catch the tail end of practice. There really isn't a designated area in our gym for parents to watch besides the entrance/waiting room which would get awfully crowded if all the parents stayed there for the whole practice.;)

Wait until you're a mom who rarely gets to see your young child because of this sport. Then you might understand..... :) Sometimes, the gym is about the only time we get to see them.

Just good for thought, if a child gets invited to a hopes developmental camp at the national training center, its a closed camp. Meaning..... Parents are not even allowed at the camp, let alone workouts. I recall you asking questions about elite track for your dd.

For the first year, I watched every practice because I enjoyed seeing my daughter learning and I wanted to get a feel for what was going on in the gym. For half of the second year, I watched the last 45 minutes of each practice because I had some concerns about the way the coach was relating to the kids. Then there was a coaching change, and as soon as I was comfortable with the new situation I stopped watching. Now I hightail it out of the gym at the beginning of practice and arrive for pickup about 1 minute before practice ends. Any more watching than that tempts me to start comparing my gymmie's progress with others' and makes me feel like a CGM.

When DD was in preteam I had to watch.... She wanted me there. But once she got on team she understood that I wasn't going to be there the whole time. Now if I happen to get there before practice ends, I watch for a few minutes. And I do look around the whole gym at all the kids, many of which I know. It is fun because it is rare.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back