We all know these hands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok a friend of mine not in gymnastics came across this photo online and with the comment I can't believe parents would let a kid do sports that casue this type of injury. Well what was I to say - My DD's hands have been this bad but there is no way I could stop her and I think Im a great mom. I told here believe it because I'm one of those parents as DD has a rip just like that in the palm of her hand that is almost cured.

Ok so who else have had or seen hands like these from gymnastics - I think all of us LOL.

470_142708.jpg

Umm, okay, but that is a relatively superficial skin wound, and then we have all the evidence of concussive and subconcussive damage in these common contact sports. I don't know that hand rips can really be considered an "injury" - is it considered an injury when a kid skins their knee at soccer?

Those are not even that bad, compared to others. And I've seen callouses on baseball players and all manner of injuries to kids who play baseball, soccer, football, hockey, lacrosse, run track, - broken bones, concussions, permanent scars, missing teeth, and everything else. Heck, I've even seen some swollen joints from the video game controllers. People need to chill out. You're a great mom.

Haha I have deeper rips than that on both my hands right now! And yet somehow I keep going back to the gym and I still love bars just as much :p Must not be too bad of an injury then...

Oh my DD has had rips like that... and even worse!!! She just said the only rips she seems to get anymore are the blood blister types.... but ... she's been finally filing down those thick calluses too!

My gymnast is the youngest of my 4 kids, so we have seen all manner of sports and sports injuries. Dance beat out football, basketball, cheerleading and gymnastics for the most injuries. Soccer won the award for worst injury. Go figure. Those rips are badges of honor for long hours spent on bars. The fact that our kids keep going back for more is what's amazing. Does it seem to anyone else that they'll get a few rips in a row, then have a long period without any?

My hands look like that at least 70% of the time! My teammates don't know what's wrong with me: I rip just about every other practice during the hotter and more humid months. Hence the username. ;-]

Umm, okay, but that is a relatively superficial skin wound, and then we have all the evidence of concussive and subconcussive damage in these common contact sports. I don't know that hand rips can really be considered an "injury" - is it considered an injury when a kid skins their knee at soccer?

LOL that's what I thought too. My DDs have been alot worse than that. This friend doesn't have kids but always has plenty of advice on how to be the perfect parent - isn't that the way it always is.

My son's hands look like that after Tuesday's practics. It is making baseball hard at the moment. It is just a little bit of ripped skin (I know it hurts though), which is so minor compared to other injuries.

Jeez, she'd probably hunt my (awesome) mom down and turn me in to Child Services if she had seen my hands... can you say 'bloody, quarter-sized rips'? :)

P.S Even coming from a gymnast, I think you're a great mom!

I used to think my rips were bad but then I saw my sister's feet dancing advanced pointe ballet. Eek! Then my mom will start talking about her fellow ski instructor's injuries including a tib fib (clean break) that made the snow blood. Eeeeeeekkkkk. All sports have injuries I guess!

yup, my DDhas had rips way worse than that. i don't think I really consider rips an injury. I file them in the same drawer as beam burn. guess I'm a crappy parent

Haha! Schools and public parks have monkey bars...I guess schools and parks must be bad things too. :)

I remember getting blisters and rips from raking the yard...I guess raking is bad...wait...raking is annoying.

...and running...blisters on the feet...no more running.

LOL Gymmomntc - That's where I file them too along with rope burns, rug burns ane bumps and brusies on just about every part of the body

yup, my DDhas had rips way worse than that. i don't think I really consider rips an injury. I file them in the same drawer as beam burn. guess I'm a crappy parent

Getting rips is just a part of gymnastics, just like shooting a basketball into the net is a part of basketball. It's totally normal! And my rips are even worse then that! I guess your friend needs to do some more research on gymnastics to see what it's all about...lol

LOL I think my friend needs to have some kids of her own first. Don't get me wrong here she is reallly a nice gal and is wonderful with my kids but when she comes out with the parenting advice like she is the best out there it can be irritating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back