wearing shorts/no shorts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok, our coach recently put in place no shorts saturdays where we can only wear a leotard. A lot of our squad is in high school and i for one am very unhappy with this decision as i, like almost every teenage girl, have issues with my body. Another issue is a certain time of month in you get my drift :S I understand the argument that we need to get used to it for comp but at comp you are performing in a leo for maybe 5mins which i can cope with with but 4hrs????

I want to know your opinion on whether you think shorts should be allowed?

OMG we had to do that too, and I was the oldest in my squad (13 lol), so I was really self conscious surrounded by all these stick thin 11 year olds...
We were allowed our shorts as soon as we had finished our routines, and just before our routines, which I think is a good idea, I was keen to keep my shorts on as much as possible!
If it's that time of the month for you, then you should definitely consider; your leo choice, talking to your coach (if she's female of course!), or maybe staying at home? I'm not too comfortable about tampons, but hey, that's just me.

I think shorts are okay off if everyone else has them off, but consider talking to your coach about keeping your shorts on before and after routines?
especially if it's cold where you train, if you're desperate you could use that as an excuse (ONLY if you're desperate!)
Otherwise, choose a super comfy leotard that gives you the least wedgies...hehe and try enjoy training anyway!

Well im in Aust so not very cold :p and its no shorts all training and im 16 and i think i just go with black leo and im good with tampons just scared of leakage.ew.

Our girls cannot wear shorts for the last practice before any meet, which is usually run a bit like a mock meet - that's the HC's way of making sure the girls get to do all their routines one after the other in just their leos. I guess if a girl has their period then, they will likely also have it for the meet, so it gives her a chance to feel comfortable that whatever she's doing for the practice will work for the meet.

In many ways its a great thing for your coach to introduce if you are self conscious. Even though comps are different, if the girls are used to always wearing shorts you will be self conscious to some degree at competitions and it can affect the way you perform. I see kids at comps often continually pulling their leotards down as low as they can so they look like boy leg shorts and they look terrible and ridiculous. If you are more used to it, you will feel better at comps.

I wouldn't worry about your periods, if you are wearing a black leotard and a tampon it should not be an issue. Leakages are very unlikely, put a fresh tampon on before class and have a few bathroom breaks, it should not leak in the first 4 hours. Even if it did on a black leo nothing would be seen at all.

The gym I was at from 11-14 did not allow shorts at all. I had never gotten in the habit of wearing them so it wasn't a problem at all. You were allowed to if there was a medical reason for it (I could on bars temporarily as I came off a medication that made me sensitive to bruising/bleeding). And while I was (and still am) a very self conscious person, it didn't really bother me because I was used to it. When I switched to a new gym at 14 where I could wear shorts I didn't.
It's one day a week and is good practice for meets, not a big deal. I'm sure with a little time you will get used to it making for a better experience. While I am opposed to a strict no-shorts policy in general, I do feel requiring no shorts practices is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

Our gym is always no shorts. When my DD got her period that first time last summer she was mortified she couldn't wear shorts but she has adjusted and just like all the girls that are older they learn how to deal with that issue. Everyone of them wear underware. They all have those 2 leos that are black on the bottom and don't have a high cut leg.

Like anything else you adjust and get use to what you need to do.

As far as issues with body go - sorry but my answer is if you are a gymnast you need to just deal with it. that is part of the sport.

You should get used to no shorts. If you do have your period, just talk to your coach. I have a no shorts rule the week before meets, and the girls justtell me they "need their shorts" that day and its ok. I trust them.

At my old gym we had no shorts all competition season. At first everyone hated it but by a few practices we didn't really notice. It's just something that you will have to deal with and honestly, It's not that bad.

My daughter's gym has a no shorts policy all the time for the team kids. Rec kids can wear whatever they want as long as it's easy and comfortable to do gymnastics in (no jeans, etc.). Her coach told me it's because they like to see their body lines during practice. Obviously this isn't a big deal yet for my 5 year old, though she does have a couple of leotards that are too big around the legs because her legs are so skinny. She used to wear shorts over them at her old gym...she just doesn't wear those leotards at her current gym.

Our gym allows shorts only in warm up or on what they call "funday, Monday" which is usually the Monday after a meet. Otherwise, no shorts...my DGD takes an extra leo on those "special days" and, because her mom makes all her leos, they fit beautifully so there is not wedgie ever.

Okay, geez, just let them wear spandex shorts guys, it isn't a big deal. Or maybe I'm the only one who wore shorts to practice and never really cared at meets. It's not really the same as practice. Before the meet maybe, okay, but being all that strict about it in general (beyond making sure the apparel is close fitting for safety purposes) strikes me as weird and kind of controlling, and a good way to drive teenage girls out of the sport.

But I mean you'll be fine for a few hours, I just don't think coaches need to go overboard on this. Have them take the shorts off for the routine at practice if there is a concern. But I can tell you I know like a billion girls who work out in shorts and compete at L10 and NCAA level without excessive problems. So I'm not going to get all that worked up about it.

My dd old HC never let them wear shorts or 2 piece leo on saturday's. He said the reason for no shorts was because they could see the whole leg to make sure when doing skills they were doing it right. and for the two piece because when the older girls are doing big skills and are sweating it is hard on the coach to spot as the child could slip through, so a safety thing.

In my gym if your on team you may only wear gym shorts. So either the velor or the spandex shorts. This way they are tight against your leg, don't cause any lose clothing and you can see the leg.

If your on the Rec Team you can wear soffe shorts or gym shorts.

And if your just in Rec classes your can wear any.

Most of the time they don't worry about saying no shorts before meets. Thats up to the girl. A lot of them just don't wear shorts anyway.
I personally am 17 and I feel more comfortable in shorts and used to wear soffes until they started riding up and they were just to lose and I decided on gym shorts. They work well. And in competition it wasn't a big deal I just didn't wear the shorts.
As for that special day. Obviously it wasn't a big deal in practice but even for competitions I'd just put in a tampon and be fine.

My dd old HC never let them wear shorts or 2 piece leo on saturday's. He said the reason for no shorts was because they could see the whole leg to make sure when doing skills they were doing it right. and for the two piece because when the older girls are doing big skills and are sweating it is hard on the coach to spot as the child could slip through, so a safety thing.

Okay, I'll agree to no two piece leos. I don't see the appeal anyway. Though wearing a leo pulled down, sports bra, and spandex shorts is very common among older girls, I've never been a fan. Why even bother to put the leo on?

Anyway...that aside...

Our girls can wear bar shorts. Nothing else. They can wear 2 piece leos. We live in the south. Summer is very hot and humid here. The gyms air isn't that great. The girls get very hot. So 2 piece leos help them stay cooler. But none of these girls are developed as the oldest is only 12.

My daughters gym also has a "no shorts" policy for all team girls. I remember reading that it was about seeing their lines and having less fabric to grab hold of. My daughter is 6, but I can sympathize with the older girls. I have noticed shorts on some older team girls, so maybe they too have said "I need to wear shorts today."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back