WAG what a parent sees vs. coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If scores don't really matter that much at the lower levels, why do so many gyms/coaches require high scores to move a child up? Most gyms in our area want kids scoring 37+ even at low levels, before they'll move the child up to the next level. Even if they have all their skills to move on (plus some!)

I think 37+ is an exception, but I know gyms that want to see 34-36's. Lucked out for my kid that we were not at one of those gyms...although in the early years, I really questioned the point of pushing up kids scoring 31-32. My little Monkey was a tiny 6 year old who scored in the 20's at her first meet Level 4 meet. At our current gym, she might still be a level 4, LMAO, but you could tell this was a fiercely determined child even back then. Fast forward 7 years and she has just brought home a gold from her 1st level 10 meet. In those early years, she had the skills but was getting killed on form deductions.

To answer the OP's question- at some point, she did gain more body awareness and some things did just click, however, when she switched gyms, many of her skills were taken back down to basics re-learn proper form. She still works very hard for those corrections of the bad habits.

On the flip side, my older DD was a very good compulsory gymnast who did not do well in optionals.

But I can see that, if there are several gyms in an area and one gym requires scores like this, the other gyms might feel pressure to follow suit because local parents may be tempted to choose the gym that scores the highest/wins the most. .

I suspect you may be right. In our area, it's quite common to see 36's, 37's, 38's... I even saw one level 3 who scored almost 39. We came from a gym that wouldn't move up girls, even if they were regularly scoring 37's. It was weird, and honestly, quite frustrating from a parent and child perspective. So I'm sure the other gyms in the area now feel they have to hold back their girls in hopes to be competitive against the one that started it all.

...Worked for one who told every child and parent with a pulse that they were going to the Olympics. Drove me crazy, as there will eventually come a reckoning day with hard and hurt feelings when they finally figure out it was all a lie.

....Chances are the parents know its a lie. And I'm sure hurt feelings are less of a problem than a credibility problem another coach might face having to deal with those parents going forward. Because when you have a coach lying to you about your child for years, "in one ear, out the other" might be a defense mechanism a parent picks up.

I may be too honest, but I tell anyone thinking along those lines that there are only 5 girls going to the Olympics, and odds are your dd isn't going to be one of them. I tell them realistically, I can get a college scholarship for most girls that set that as their goal, and that's pretty cool in and of itself.
....and to some parents, this may seem like a fantasy as well, with lots of variables controlling the outcome along the way.... even with great coaching.

....Chances are the parents know its a lie. And I'm sure hurt feelings are less of a problem than a credibility problem another coach might face having to deal with those parents going forward. Because when you have a coach lying to you about your child for years, "in one ear, out the other" might be a defense mechanism a parent picks up.

There were both problems. He was an elite coach, so people wanted to believe what he said. He was also an owner and thought that was a way to get kids to come and stay at his place. And you are right about being a problem for future coaches.

"....and to some parents, this may seem like a fantasy as well, with lots of variables controlling the outcome along the way.... even with great coaching.

Hope this doesn't sound like a fantasy to the people that I tell. I only say it to the ones that I believe could realistically achieve that, and I have a pretty good record to go by. Top school in the country? Probably not. But getting to go to college anywhere on a gymnastics scholarship is pretty good in my book! :) And of course as you said, there are no guarantees, but that pretty much applies to all of life. :)

It's not only coaches and parents that see things differently, one coach may see something another may not :).

In my own observations, bar swingers often have the most future potential, as it's bars that can hold even the most talented floor and beam worker up. It's relatively easier to learn or mature into floor/beam.

So some coaches will like those that show potential on bars, knowing the rest will likely come with training or maturity. Others will go for the little one with pretty form, and flexibility, and hope they can train the strength for bars. Others still just want that kid that will try anything...

I am so glad I found this thread!! Thank goodness to know these scores aren't the end of the world. I have had the same question and have heard from coaches about our daughter's "raw talent." She doesn't have great body awareness at 6 and has ADHD too. We just pulled her from a gym where they were requiring them to have 38 AA in two meets to move up from level one! Most of the girls were not getting super high scores. Mine was getting 35s and even a 34, so I'm thinking does she really have talent with these scores at level one? Meanwhile, DD learner her round off back handspring and loves the bars. We are so pleased with the new gym, and she is learning new skills fairly quickly. The head coach there is thinking she should do level 3 next year and seems unconcerned about scoring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back