WAG what are a and b skills etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

smidgie

Proud Parent
Hi all. What are A and B skills etc. I live in PA. My DD is going to be a level 6 this season. I know she needs so many A and B skills, but I dont know what they are. For example is a cast flyaway on bars a B skill?

Once you get into optionals the skills you need are broken down by difficulty level with A skills being the easiest and E skills being crazy hard! There are several sites that will give a list of some common skills and their levels. If you want the full comprehensive list you can buy the J.O. Code of Points from USA gymnastics.

In order to find out the category of the skill (A, B, C, D or E) you need to JO Code of Points. This is really not a resource for parents; the determination of what skills go in routines and thier appropriate "value" is a discussion for the coach and athlete to have. Truely, the parent has no role in this.

It definitely not the role of the parent to insist or recommend skills but it nice to know what in the world they are talking about! I would never tell my dd or her coach what to put in a routine but it is fun to see what is actually available and to read what exactly the rules are and the possible deductions.

It definitely not the role of the parent to insist or recommend skills but it nice to know what in the world they are talking about! I would never tell my dd or her coach what to put in a routine but it is fun to see what is actually available and to read what exactly the rules are and the possible deductions.

I agree. I just like to learn new stuff and be am informed viewer. But I would never presume to tell a coach what skills to use.

I agree. I just like to learn new stuff and be am informed viewer. But I would never presume to tell a coach what skills to use.
Exactly. I find I actually get less of the where in the world did that score feeling come from because I at least have some idea of what "should" be done.

But I admit in the hands of some it can definitely create CGM syndrome :)

Hi all. What are A and B skills etc. I live in PA. My DD is going to be a level 6 this season. I know she needs so many A and B skills, but I dont know what they are. For example is a cast flyaway on bars a B skill?

In general, the skills you see on bars, beam and floor in the compulsory level routines (levels 3,4,5) are "A" skills. (Exception would be the clear hip on bars at level 5)

Once they hit the first optional levels (level 6,7) the most common "B" skills you will see added to routines are:
bars - clear hip, cast handstand, giant
beam - round off, back handspring, front handspring, 180 split jump, straddle jump
floor - 1 1/2 turn, switch leap, side leap, front pike or layout, back layout 1/2 or full

My point is that there are times when too much information can be very non-productive. Over all my years of involvement in this sport (and I am very involved) I have never worried about what a skill is. I only ask my lvl 10 dd if she has all of her requirements. Now, knowing what the requirements are (which is available on the USAG website: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx14_optreqchart_2014.pdf) is useful; and knowing that the higher the letter the harder the skill is enough. What skills go into a routine is the responsibility of the coach and athlete. Frankly, you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out skills , bonuses, and deductions; leave it to the ones you are paying to know this - the coaches.

Except when you read what the requirements are all it says is that you need a certain number of a,b,c or d skills which leaves you right back were you started, what in the world qualifies as a A,B,C skill.

You literally need to flip through the entire code, way too much to respond here.

Another reason why this is a coach thing. Consider this one of the tasks on the list that help to build the trust level between parent and coach. As a meet director, I am familiar with the code of points; as a parent it serves no purpose for me to look at page after page of mini illustrations of skills (and little squiggly lines) that look nothing like the real thing. There are times when a certain level of ignorance can be blissful.

I remember my dd finding a list on line somewhere a while back that listed all the most common skills and their USAG value, but I don't know where it was anymore. The code of points is more information than I am interested in, but some information is nice as a parent. For instance, I remember back when my dd was an L7 being relieved to find out that a back tuck on beam was a C skill, which was not allowed at L7 and I therefore didn't have to worry about watching her compete that skill at least for that season….lol. Now that my dd is training all sorts of L9 and L10 skills, I just ask her what value the skill is when she comes home talking about it, and then try to comfort myself with the fact that she can only do 1 D skill in each routine for this year….

Another reason why this is a coach thing. Consider this one of the tasks on the list that help to build the trust level between parent and coach. As a meet director, I am familiar with the code of points; as a parent it serves no purpose for me to look at page after page of mini illustrations of skills (and little squiggly lines) that look nothing like the real thing. There are times when a certain level of ignorance can be blissful.
I think you misunderstand where Im coming from. Im not trying to judge or coach or make routines or learn the code of points. I just wanted some examples of what some a and b skills are. Thanks to everyone for the info.

smidgie- which skills would you like to know about? I am sure we can tell you. Or what level are you looking at and we can give you insight from there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back