What do you Do with Team Trophy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Like both of your ideas Dunno & gynnut29. Anything that makes it more of a teaching moment is what is important to me. It shouldn't become a "gimme, gimme" moment for an individual child or "expected" b/c she won AA, etc. The girls need to own the moment & award as a team(they won it right?!?). So whether they decide (as a team) that it might make Jane with the broken foot very happy or a 4yr old winning a handstand contest, or Julie really helped pump everyone up today, it becomes about so more than just a trophy! Use these moments to teach empathy, teamwork & leadership please don't waste them. I think the coach just taking the trophy back the the gym is a wasted moment...the girls earned it & the moment is gone so fast, use that moment! Teach them to look for positives in their teammates, that they want to reward. To the OP, maybe you could talk to the coaches & ask them to give the girls some guidance to help them make it a learning/giving/bonding moment as a TEAM.

That's the problem. DD was the highest scorer majority of time last season, but felt she had already been rewarded for her efforts and never even thought she should take home trophy. Was handed it once the first meet, because we had driven coach in and she just handed it to DD without a thought. That's was started the whole thing. The other high scorer's mom always thinks it should be her daughter to take home (made it a big point to say so in front of my DD because her's had a higher score at that meet) because she had the highest score or "contributed" the most to the team score or had highest individual score (whatever it took for it to end up being her daughter). The mom has such a bad attitude towards other girls, always telling her daughter how's she's the best and she had so much pressure because we need her scores for team awards or we won't win, etc., etc. This, unfortunately, has filtered down to the child who now thinks she's the superstar and deserves the most attention, driving other girls crazy. Mom drives me crazy enough I have considered leaving gym, even though DD loves it there and I really like the coach, just because it has turned things so negative. I am hoping coach will take it home, but sometimes she listens to this mom because I think she likes coaching the child and doesn't want to be involved with the parents at all, and she is also the owner. The other girl is a great gymnast and will go far . . . I just hating dealing with all that comes with her.

That's the problem. DD was the highest scorer majority of time last season, but felt she had already been rewarded for her efforts and never even thought she should take home trophy. Was handed it once the first meet, because we had driven coach in and she just handed it to DD without a thought. That's was started the whole thing. The other high scorer's mom always thinks it should be her daughter to take home (made it a big point to say so in front of my DD because her's had a higher score at that meet) because she had the highest score or "contributed" the most to the team score or had highest individual score (whatever it took for it to end up being her daughter). The mom has such a bad attitude towards other girls, always telling her daughter how's she's the best and she had so much pressure because we need her scores for team awards or we won't win, etc., etc. This, unfortunately, has filtered down to the child who now thinks she's the superstar and deserves the most attention, driving other girls crazy. Mom drives me crazy enough I have considered leaving gym, even though DD loves it there and I really like the coach, just because it has turned things so negative. I am hoping coach will take it home, but sometimes she listens to this mom because I think she likes coaching the child and doesn't want to be involved with the parents at all, and she is also the owner. The other girl is a great gymnast and will go far . . . I just hating dealing with all that comes with her.
Wow! Sounds like this is a much bigger fish to fry than just who gets the take home the team trophy! Sorry you have one of "those" moms to deal with. All the more the reason the coach needs to step in here & redirect this team into what it means to be a "team". I'm sure the coach/owner wouldn't want you to leave the gym because this mom/child. But it is more work for the coach to actually have to confront/ redirect this behavior than just ignore it. And by the coach taking home the trophy the problem would be ignored, not solved. Not to say the coach needs to single this child out. Just teach better group sportsmanship & teamwork to all. Helping the "team" to decide the fate of the team award, based on all positive aspects, (not just scores) of all teammates would be a great place to start. Or even starting something like Dunno does. To spread the joy to younger kids & foster the joy of giving in the older ones. JMHO.

This is such an amusing post. I never even gave it a thought as to WHO would take the team trophy home from the meet, I just didn't want it to be us as it was such a pain to carry the thing, usually having to haul it on a plane and then back to the gym for display! I can say in all the years I've been in the gym world with my daughter, I have never heard of a girl being singled out to take the trophy home on purpose.

I think you will see as your DD progresses up the levels, who takes home the team trophy will take on shades of a "keep away" game as no one prefers to carry it. For just this reason, one year our gym did banners for the winning teams as they were much easier to transport to their destinations.:)

Our coaches choose different girls to take home the trophy after a meet. They know they have to bring it back the next practice so there is no issue of "it should be shared by the whole team, not just a single gymnast" We put it by the office for a little bit then move it with the others.

The trophy is displayed at the gym, but who takes it home from the meet varies--they seem to rotate it around. I don't recall there ever being an argument about it--and certainly nothing that parents got involved in.

Ugghh! I just posted something and it went of to cyberspace somewhere! I'll try again!

Last year, Olivia's level 5 coach would send the team trophy home with whoever did the best on the team. It irked me a little only because it was usually the same 2 girls. Not that they didn't deserve it but he shouldn't have started that. Well, at the last regular meet of the season Olivia didn't get any medals, ribbons or trophies but our team won. One of her teammates approached the girl that got the team trophy and asked if Olivia could take it home because she did well but didn't get anything. I almost cried! It was so sweet. Her coach heard this and said it was up to the other girl. Well, she gave it up but not very willingly. Her mom almost had to pry it out of her hands. I didn't want that kind of scene and almost made her give it back but the look on Olivia's face, I just couldn't do it. She proudly showed her dad, her brother and her teachers. She took it back the next practice and they displayed it in the lobby. I tell you what, she was very proud of that trophy!

This year she has different coaches so I don't know how they handle it. I think they just keep it and take it to the gym.

Thanks for sharing this story Netty! It exemplifies what I was trying to say in my somewhat long winded posts;). The feeling your DD got by knowing that a teammate was looking out for her. The joy that she got holding that trophy(whether it was overnight or to keep). The leadership & empathy displayed by the child that noticed that your DD needed a " spirit boost". That's what I'm talking about! The coaches should be encouraging that type of team bonding, especially with the young girls. I'm not saying it has to be a big deal or whatever. But I think the coaches have a responsibility to teach good sportsmanship & teamwork as well as skills. JMHO.

how do you spell d-u-m-p-s-t-e-r.

we give them to the pre-school class kids after they perform like only 4 year olds can do.

it makes their day way more at that age than you can imagine. and it keeps them looking forward to the next "big" kids meet.

I have a funny story to share about a trophy from my dd's old cheer gym. Her friend still cheers there and they went to a really big competition in FL last year. Well, they are a small gym, and this was there very first out of state big comp. They were a team of about 13 going against teams of 20-30 kids. Anyway, things didn't turn out too good for them and they ended up coming in last place (long story). Anyway the coach was kind of bitter about the whole experience and didn't want to have anything to do with the trophy (I know--really bad sportsmanship and totally not a very good role model for the kids, but that is another story :rolleyes:). Anyway, the coach tried to "leave the trophy behind" at the airport waiting room because he didn't want to take it home on the plane. But, 2 girls from another team saw it and were chasing after him yelling "Wait, wait! You forgot your trophy!". He stopped of course and retrieved the trophy. I just thought that was amusing because no matter how hard he tried to get rid of the trophy--it kept coming back to him!!!

Last edited:
that is funny! i can actually visualize this happening. haha!

We just give it to the person who has room in their car! But yes, they have let the girls that didn't place take it so they feel like they are an important part of the team. The winners have their own trophies and it encourages team spirit.

Anyway, things didn't turn out too good for them and they ended up coming in last place (long story). Anyway the coach was kind of bitter about the whole experience and didn't want to have anything to do with the trophy

Wow I've never seen team trophies go all the way out.

the team trophies at our gym are displayed in the gym but our individual trophies(AA,participation.ect.) we get to take home

I think this tends to be a bigger deal at the compulsory levels. Last night we had a level 9 meet and I noticed a certain trend...most of our kids are in the 13 and up range but there is one 10 yr old. I notice that the older kids always make her take the trophy home as they are really not interested. The optional kids I coach generally don't care about taking the trophy home.

One time we had a level 6 gymnast and parent both in tears because this gymnast didn't get to take the trophy home. The coach had simply handed it to the kid standing closest to him.

I think this tends to be a bigger deal at the compulsory levels. Last night we had a level 9 meet and I noticed a certain trend...most of our kids are in the 13 and up range but there is one 10 yr old. I notice that the older kids always make her take the trophy home as they are really not interested. The optional kids I coach generally don't care about taking the trophy home.

It's funny because I probably won like, 90% or some absurd percentage of the medals I have as an optional, when I really didn't care anymore. Many meets seem to get the same amount of medals for L9/10 as they do for L4, despite much smaller groups. I have literally seen awards ceremonies where they were calling out every girl for the "AA" despite the fact some competed one or two events (not unusual in optional levels). "with a 15.65", and everyone's sitting there dying to leave and laughing.

Note to meet directors: these 16 year olds don't want to go through an awards ceremony for their two event AA.

At our gym, the girl with the highest AA score takes the trophy (or team banner) home and brings it to gym on her next practice. Then it is displayed in the gym.

To make it a little more fair, once someone has the privilege of "bringing home the trophy," they cannot do it again that season. Therefore, if little Katie has the highest AA at the first meet and the second meet, at the second meet, whoever has the next highest AA gets to bring home the trophy.

The kids seem to understand the logic and we've never had any issues with it.

when i was in lvl 4 are coach handed it out to the girl she thought showed best character and perseverance not how well they did.the chosen kid when then come to the next practice,and it would be displayed at the desk and then onto the walls.but one time a girl kept the trofy when we were going to coaching changes and clames to say"they said i could kee it"but i know they didnt you would never ever be able to kepp a team trofy its the team.so that last part was kinda a rant.

Our girls select and then vote on who they decide gets to bring the trophy home. That person brings it back to the gym after the weekend and then it is displayed in the lobby. I have never seen and arugement or fight. They coaches and parents stay out of the decision. With a huge team (20) and only 8 meets not everyone is going to get an opportunity. They rarely vote for the person with the highest allaround but generally someone who overcame an obstacle of had great character. They view as a great honor to take the trophy home.

at our gym...whoever has the highest allaround gets to take it home and then they bring it bak to the gym the next practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back