What is the correct way to do a round-off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't do my round-offs in a straight line like you would on beam. As I got more power I naturally did a half turn before I landed. My coach says this is okay, but everywhere I look it says it has to be straight to go straight. What's right? And does it really matter?

no, that's NOT okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding it hard to picture this - a round-off naturally has a half-turn in it, so I'm assuming you mean some extra turn? Which direction are you facing when you land?

no, that's NOT okay.

Why?

I teach roundoffs on a straight line as well, but it seems to me that once they get the general idea it wouldn't make that big a difference to overturn it a bit -- seems like it would even make the snapdown a bit simpler.

when you're talking about beam, overtwisting the round off a bit further puts the feet in a pronated position. this places more pressure to the outside of 1 ankle and more pressure to the arch of the other. very dangerous. then, it causes the hip to pronate and pike away from the direction that one would twist. this would cause the body to 'gyroscope' [or corkscrew as some coaches call it] once they leave the beam and cause them to land to the opposite side of the beam and counter to the direction of their twist. this mistake can cause 'sheer force' on a landing. kids have broken their hip making this exact mistake. good?

For beam I can see that, but what about floor?

To me, by the time you're putting a roundoff on beam, it's a completely different skill anyway.

I always do my round off's wrong and i'm a level 7. it's just a habit but my coach is always correcting it. instead of putting your hands by your ears and place your hands 1/4 a turn, i jump into it and my hands end up 1/2 turn from where i started. it doesn't really bother me but he said it doesn't give you as much power.

my round off's on the floor have always been the done the wrong way. i add a little more turn than what i should and somehow it gives me power for my tumbling pass. i wasn't exactly taught the correct way from the beginning so i kinda taught myself and it has never given me any problems. but when i did them on the beam i treated it as a total different skill. instead of taking a few powerful steps then a hurdle, i would go into it as a powerful cartwheel and then black and snap my feet down and lift my chest all at the same time. this seemed to work for me and i also teach it this way and it works for my girls also. another coach at my gym tells them to do the round off on the beam just like they would on the floor. i don't really like that because they are too aggressive and kinda get out of control. they have too much power and end up having to take a few steps backwards to stay on or they just fall of all together. also, i think its a little dangerous to have that much power on the beam because you can end up losing control and can get hurt. the round off i'm talking about is where it is done as a single skill and not in a series. i think that a round off in a series, whether it be on the beam or as a dismount, it a different story. good luck with this and i'm sorry if this doesn't help you any... i tried^^

i may have misread something. it seems the discussion went to twisting the upper body? like doing a 1/2 on in to the hand placement?? this too is a bad idea. loss of linear force. yes, i know...lots of kids do it. but they don't do big tumbling skills. go back and look at tony gamen's post about how to 'correct' a twisite round off. the kids shouldn't do it yet you still see them.

i may have misread something. it seems the discussion went to twisting the upper body? like doing a 1/2 on in to the hand placement?? this too is a bad idea. loss of linear force. yes, i know...lots of kids do it. but they don't do big tumbling skills. go back and look at tony gamen's post about how to 'correct' a twisite round off. the kids shouldn't do it yet you still see them.

sorry, that may have been my fault. i think i misunderstood the thread...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back