WAG What is the deduction for not saluting the judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
So, DD had her 1st meet, and had to compete first on everything since she is the youngest. On floor, she forgot to salute the judges at the end of her floor routine (and was confused at vault too). Anyway, her coach said she lost an entire point for not saluting the judges. Is that true? It seems like an awful big deduction in a world of tenths.

pretty sure the coach is wrong there....maybe a few tenths? Did she not salute at all or did she start walking away and then turn around and salute (as I'm sure her coaches and teammates were telling her to salute)?

here we go again ad dunnoseum...the good judges i know would have recognized that this was her 1st meet and would have taken NO...NADA...0 deduction. and the coach is wrong by the way. he must be an elite coach. the deduction for a fall at that level would be 1 point. i know the judges get confused between 1st timers and elites also...:)

LOL Dunno...It's hard to differentiate between elites and L3' s. Cut them a break! ;)
Definitely!!! My special little 5yo snowflake is just as good as elite! :D

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was really bummed to hear that a whole point was taken away, then I realized that it wasn't really logical. I mean, what a mean deduction for little girls!
BTW...... she forgot the salute at the end completely.

Definitely!!! My special little 5yo snowflake is just as good as elite! :D

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was really bummed to hear that a whole point was taken away, then I realized that it wasn't really logical. I mean, what a mean deduction for little girls!
BTW...... she forgot the salute at the end completely.

Hmmm. The coach should have directed her to salute at the end. Usually the judges will wait for the salute... as in if its a little one, they will wait for the coach to nudge them to salute if they forget...

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I'm not sure it's obvious that DD is a "little one". She is taller than the 7 year olds on the team. I'm pretty sure she's 4ft tall. DD is very tall for her age, and an absolute giant as a gymnast!!

Failure to present is one TENTH each time, so a max of .2 per routine. For example, if she walked off without saluting, then it could lower the score from a 9.5 to a 9.4. But I say "could" because although that is the official deduction, not all judges take it in a low level competition.

I think the coach needs a 1 pt deduction for each time the child doesn't salute.

But then you have my dd who as a seasoned level 4 but with a new gym, new coach not happy attitude went to a meet in SoCal, got up on beam, started out beautifully, then did her second turn where they usually step forward? Well she stepped back, and we know that when you step back after your turn you do your leap next. So she proceeded to do her leap, realized her mistake, did her pivot turn, pose then dismount, missed the dismount, got up did it again, missed it again and stormed off. A word from her coach and she turned around and saluted. She ended up with a 7.1 I think. I don't think the judges knew what to do with the deductions, I figured a 7.1 was pretty high. lol

So, DD had her 1st meet, and had to compete first on everything since she is the youngest. On floor, she forgot to salute the judges at the end of her floor routine (and was confused at vault too). Anyway, her coach said she lost an entire point for not saluting the judges. Is that true? It seems like an awful big deduction in a world of tenths.

My little DD did that at her first level 4 meet when she had just turned 6. The judges did not take a deduction for it. I know it is a .1 deduction, but they were kind as they could clearly see she was very little. After everyone else had finished the event they had her coach take her back and practicing saluting. Not all judges may be that kind, but even so it's only .1. Perhaps the coach said 1 point and thought you understand 1 tenth.

My little DD did that at her first level 4 meet when she had just turned 6. The judges did not take a deduction for it. I know it is a .1 deduction, but they were kind as they could clearly see she was very little. After everyone else had finished the event they had her coach take her back and practicing saluting. Not all judges may be that kind, but even so it's only .1. Perhaps the coach said 1 point and thought you understand 1 tenth.

Nope, she had mentioned that DD would have medaled (2nd place). Nothing would have happened for a tenth deduction. Oh well, we weren't expecting big numbers, but at least hoped for top half. I'm a little disheartened that her coaches didn't know (or teach) some things that lead to big deductions- I'm not only speaking of this instance.

I judged L3 And L4 this last weekend. We are not in the habit of laying the smack down on tiny kids :p
If we wanted to deduct, it would have been a tenth. We may do this towards the end of the season when the kids have had lots of time to remember.
I wonder if coach is using the judges to get a point across. We really aren't the big, bad monsters we get made out to be. :)

You would think that her coach would have prompted all the newbies, whether they are "little" or not! When we look at Little Monkey's Level 4 video's there are several times where she starts to walk off the floor, then someone on the sideline gives her a little prompt and she turns back around to salute.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back