WAG What is the densest, fastest snack?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My DD (9YO, L7) gets about 3 minutes for a mid-practice snack in her newly increased 4.5 hour practices (5.5 hours on TOPs day). She is an itty bitty girl with an enormous appetite. When we get her at the end of practice she is seeming out of gas and famished. Food revives her.

What would you recommend for a dense, calorie rich, snack that she can eat quickly at the 3 minute mid-practice break? She likes to eat fruit, but this may not be doing it for her. Nuts are not allowed.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Dehydrated fruit - dried bananas, apricots, raisins? trail mix type stuff without nuts ...?

Hard boiled eggs. Homemade granola bars.

Something like Clif Kids Z bar would be a good calorie hit. Even if she just eats a few bites.

If she can keep it cold, a squeezable yogurt or a string cheese plus crackers would be a good quick snack.

Even just crackers plus cut-up fruit would be good too though. Maybe with a chocolate milk box?

Or squeezable apple sauce plus crackers (my dd likes mini graham crackers.)

Can she eat a whole banana in that time?

We do kids Clif bars, half of a banana and chocolate milk. I wish she'd eat a hard boiled egg!

Reactions: sce
Homemade energy balls or bars would be perfect. I don't know if linking to outside websites is allowed but wellness mama has a recipe for chia seed energy bars that sounds perfect! I'm going to try it next week.

My 11 year old told me that first of all she needs at least a 10 minute break for that long of training. She said yogurt or an energy bar. She also said if they won't make the break longer to take a bathroom break and grab a couple of bites then.

So maybe speak to the gym about increasing the break by a few minutes?

3 minutes is hardly time for a couple of bites. My girls get 10, but usually are let out late and it is more like 5. frustrating! Look for a recipe for Peanut Butter Oat Bites - they are very good and would be fast to eat and have a lot of calories.

My DD is an exceptionally slow eater. She usually just takes a high protein boost to drink at break for long practices (3hr+). Often she doesn't even finish that. Shorter practices I make sure she eats dinner first (practice times now make that possible) and I send a squeezable applesauce and either a granola bar of some kind or a few small pieces of a protein bar mixed with a few pretzels.

Clif Z bars, apple slices/banana and sunflower seed butter, raisins, juice or milk box (however dairy may upset her belly when so exerted), cheese string and grapes.

In addition, I put a little white grape juice in my water bottle- 1/3 of my bottle maybe- for ongoing calories, carbs, and sugars through practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back