What is XCEL/ EXEL????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I see a lot of people saying they are in exel/xcel... What is that? I'm so confused? What does it mean to be in silver/gold/bronze???

Xcel (also known as prep-op) is a different "track" from the JO level system. The different colors are different levels. Right now xcel varies from state to state so what the requirements are for xcel gold, for example, in one state are different from in another state, but USAG is working on standardizing the xcel system. Gyms also use xcel differently - some, like mine, see it as a viable option for girls who are sort of "stuck" between JO levels, while others use it as a rec team or a place for girls who they think don't fit into their JO program.

It's kind of like optionals, but at a lower level. So you get to make up your routines instead of doing the compulsory ones. It's (well, for our gym anyways) more relaxed than JO. Less hours, less money, less commitment. Some girls at our gym use it so they can compete, but they don't have the skills for JO. Others (like me) use it because although I have the skills to be on the JO team, I don't have the money or time for that much of a commitment. And yes, the colors are for levels. It is bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond.

Xcel, which was formerly called prep op, is an alternate program for girls who don't want to put too much time into gymnastics but still keep their skill level high and compete. The different colors are the different levels you can compete at depending on your skills for example bronze is like for level 4 skills and under, silver for level 4/5 etc. Each level has a set of required skills that you must perform on each event, but you can choose which skills to fulfill those requirements and the rest of the skills in the routine.

As everyone else has said and just to add. It is a program overseen by USAG. The USAG website states that can be used for a variety of reasons including for girls who: compete compulsory but would like to compete "optional" routines during their off seasons; don't want to commit to the larger time/money obligations of JO; are having difficulty gaining the skills/precision of JO program.

It is a great option for many girls and is growing very fast across the nation. In most areas, it is used for girls who are considered "too old" to start in the JO program, girls having trouble with 1-2 skills that are holding them back from going to the next level, or girls who really don't want to or have the dedication to compete JO.

In a lot of areas across the country, it is not very competitive compared to the JO gymnasts but in our area, it is highly competitive. There are a lot of gymnasts who do compulsories in the fall and xcel in the winter/spring. We also have gyms that use xcel instead of compulsory as a stepping stone to optionals - training at the level of compulsory gymnasts but competing xcel instead of 4-6.

While it's true that every state has it's own rules, in general, they follow the skill sets for compulsory - meaning the bronze is generally L3-4, silver L4-5, Gold L5-6, Platinum L6-7. most don't compete diamond at this point but that would be 7+.

Its really annoying to me...but in region 5 it takes forever to move out of bronze!! Most regions have their bronze as levels 1-4, but here it is 3-5!! You pretty much have to be a level 6 to compete silver. I am missing my full turn on beam, and I don't have a front or back tuck...so I can't move to silver. On the bright side, I score pretty well in bronze :)

Here in Missouri, Excel is used as a bridge between compulsaries and optionals. Most girls compete it instead of Level 6 but before they have all their Level 7 skills. This is what my DD competed last season but will most likely compete 7 this year.

Its really annoying to me...but in region 5 it takes forever to move out of bronze!! Most regions have their bronze as levels 1-4, but here it is 3-5!! You pretty much have to be a level 6 to compete silver. I am missing my full turn on beam, and I don't have a front or back tuck...so I can't move to silver. On the bright side, I score pretty well in bronze :)

Well, as of June 25 they changed that, and now we have the same bronze and silver levels as the rest of the nation :) YEAH!

Well, as of June 25 they changed that, and now we have the same bronze and silver levels as the rest of the nation :) YEAH!

So, what skills were gold and platinum before the change? That's really high skills for silver!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back