Parents What is your gym's timeline for team commitment?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Team invitations for new team members and level assignments for current team members go out after the last state meet in late spring. Families have about 3 weeks to consider the offer and commit. The team packet includes actual tuition costs and an estimate of all other costs that has so far turned out to be quite accurate, along with the tentative summer and fall practice schedules. The tentative practice schedules are usually but not always adopted as the final schedules; we got burned on this one last year when several kids dropped out at the last minute and two groups had to be combined for summer training. We are also told how many meets are planned but not the dates, I think because the host gyms don't release meet information that early. There is no contract, but athletes and parents are asked to sign a letter indicating that they understand the commitment they are making.
We are exactly the same as this

I was just going to say "wow this sounds eerily close to our gym" until I read the part about the possibility of getting a credit back. LOL that would never happen.

I got a meet fee credit back this winter. Used to pay for dd's warm up jacket. We pay meet fees in installments over summer and fall. Order warm ups and leos in late fall. I scored a second hand jacket, our gym matches any available with someone suitable.

We are brand new, but it seems our gym is on a different meet schedule than most all of the posts. Our meet season for 3/4/5 is in the fall (meets start in early sept.) so summer is crunch time. Is that not very common? My understanding is level 6-10 compete in spring.

We just got a questionnaire to be turned in this week asking for planned vacations, what time school gets out, etc. for schedule planning. My dd just started preteam in Jan. (from lv 4 rec). They are hoping to have this group ready for level 3, but we won't know if she is invited to team until late May. This is a stressful time, since I am usually firming up all our summer camps (my hubs and I both work). In the email we did get the date of team camp (if she's invited) and the summer week the gym is closed.

i don't think we have a contract (if we do, i've nevere signed it). We have a meeting sometime in May to discuss the expectations for families/kids and to educate us a bit on what comes next.

Our gym does lvl 2 and 3 in winter (jan-march) but then competes lvl 4 in the following fall, so there is a big rush after lvl 3 meet season. They let us know by the end of May which girls have made lvl 4 and the new training schedule begins the 1st week of June. So technically, I suppose we would have an idea of new fees/schedule by mid-May but would not know for sure until early June.

just curious what these contracts say?

No contract or commitment. We find out our meet schedule about 2 months before competition season starts and need to have our competition fees paid before the season starts. We could conceivably quit at any time, but would lose competition fees if it was during meet season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back