WAG What new skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
Now that the season is winding down for most of us I was wondering what new skills your DD or DS is looking forward to learning next?

Mine is looking forward to learning some twisting on the floor and a new vault! I am not sure I am read for a new vault though :confused:

Mine is looking forward to perfecting her kip now that it is consistant. BHS on beam and learning a flyaway. They've also started some cast handstand drills with her since she is restricted from tumbling for a few weeks and she thought that was very cool :)

DD will spend time trying to perfect her new vault - she'd like to try it out at an invitational meet in May. A tsuk.

Bar coach says double back dismounts and front giants /blind changes are on the list. On floor I expect a double twisting layout, as she competed her 1.5 for the first time yesterday. As for beam, perfecting BHS-BLO, front aerial, likely some leaps, and twisting dismounts. All in prep for next fall.

Beyond those, she can't compete additional skills until Fall of 2015. But she's recently started drills for release moves and double back work on the tramp, so I expect lots of prep stuff for the future.

DD - Yurchenko, possibly double back bars dismount, twisting on floor, and re-learning her BHS-BHS on beam (told me she was going to get that one out of the way this morning - first official L8 practice), perfecting pirouette, play around with bars release moves, and will get to do her front front now on floor.

DSelder is doing front and back giants, BLO, Yami vault, and tons of stuff on rings/Pbars/Pommel that can't even keep track of.

DSyounger - perfecting kip and trying all the boys L6 stuff - he'd move up this summer except for high bar - which he's still scared of at L5....oh, well....there are lots of bent knees to fix, etc....

My DD is working on her FHC and Mill Circle on bars. On Floor she is working on the ROBHS. On beam.. Cartwheel and it would be nice for her handstand to get vertical (though she has a fear and has came a long way)! Working on the Xcel Silver vault (She is Xcel Bronze).

For the girl, Yurchenkos, BWO-BHS on beam (she's not excited about this, but she's gotta do it), front walkovers and roundoffs on beam, 1.5 twist on floor, getting more consistent pirouettes on bars.

For the boy, giants on high bar, moy to support and giant on parallel bars, consistent handstand on rings, RO-BHS-BHS-BT on floor, perfecting FHS vault, Russian on mushroom and getting consistent loops on the horse, and the ever elusive, ever desired MANNA!

Bars: Now that has her giant, she is looking to make sure she can do two of them and layout flyaway. And, clear hip to handstand.

Vault: Tsuk drills.

Floor: Twisting layout...but boy does she love to dance!

Beam: BHS, and perfecting her cartwheel-back tuck dismount.

My group will be training for level 6 after competing 4 so back tucks and layouts, FHS fronts, BHS, fwo and round offs on beam, clear hips, giants and flyaways on bars, starting yurchenko drills and half ons on vault. Looking forward to it but still preparing for states first.

Ok, lets see here...

Floor: She is looking forward to twisting. She got to play with it a bit a couple months ago and said it was really fun.

Bars: Perfecting Giant Giant Flyaway and clear hip to handstand, pirouettes and her coach is very excited to see what happens when they start working double back dismounts as I guess she has super fast rotational speed. She really wants to learn a stalder but don't know if that will happen or not.

Vault: She is very excited to put the yurchenko pieces together. It has been all drills and separate parts until now.

Beam: She is working on BHS-BHS and RO-BT dismount right now. She can not wait to compete her extremely awesome press handstand mount next season.

State is behind her and she is itching to get back to learning new stuff.

The fact that I just wrote those things down blows my mind and scares the crap out of me :eek::confused::Do_O

Younger = BHSBHS on beam, Yurchenko or tsuk on vault, twisting on floor, and her nemesis - ALL bar items...giants, clear hip handstand, pirouettes, layouts.

Older = BHS two-foot, BHS two-foot, aerial, layout full on beam, Yurchenko layout on vault, dbl twist, layout-layout on floor (she's a twister, not a flipper), straddle back, cleaner giants and clear hip handstands, blind change, layout full on bars.

OG (Xcel Gold, moving up to Platinum for sure): Bars - Clear Hip (getting it back after a 19 month absence), Cast HS, Flyaway (getting it back after a 21 month absence)
Beam - BWO (getting it back after a 15 month absence), Round-off on beam, BT Dismount
Floor - Twisting, BLO, Front Pike
Vault - Perfecting 1/2 On-1/2 Off

YG (L3 after 2 years of L4... could repeat again or move to L4 based on skill acquisition... or could irritate her older sister by moving to Xcel Gold) : Bars - Kip, Squat On, Mill Circle (just in case, it would be nice to have it if she does this level for a 4th year), Long Hang Pullover (she had it last year, but has been so routine-focused she hasn't been able to attempt it)
Beam - Vertical Handstand, Cartwheel, Forward Roll (in case she goes Xcel Gold), Passe turn, Full turn, Perfecting L3-5 Dismount
Floor - Perfecting RO2BHS, FHS to 2 feet (she can do a step-out, but not 2 foot landing... of course the step-out would work well for Xcel Gold... to round off), FT, Full turn
Vault - Handspring (she wants so badly to go over the table!!!)

Bail to handstand, blind changes, hopefully shaposh releases on bars, double lay dismounts, toe handstands, and getting un-scared of layout flyaways and flyaways from casts (giant, giant, double is fine with a coach, weird right?)
Layout yurchenkos too.
Hopefully I'll heal my ankle completely and be able to train some floor and beam before I leave for college in the fall. Then I'll hopefully be able to compete next year on an NAIGC team (fingers crossed my ankle gets better and I choose a university with a team).

It's the opposite in Ausalia, we are getting ready for our competition season to begin!

DD is level 3. We still have two weeks of comps, but as soon as that's done, she'll start working towards level 4. She already has most of the floor skills (ROBHSBHS, FHS, BWO), so the biggest are Cartwheel on beam, FHS vault, and of course Kip.

We are not quite done with State yet either, but up training is a year round thing for DD's gym. She's working on pirouette on bars, Yurchenko timers and twisting skills on floor. Recently acquired (but not competed) skills are giant-giant-LO flyaway, RO-BHS-Pike and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting.

She loves this time of year though since the new skills push is on!

1 1/2 on floor, BHS-BHS on beam, release on bars (not sure if DD's working on straddle back or overshoot), and upgraded dismount on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back