Parents What other skills instead of bhs on beam for L7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flyinghigh

Proud Parent
DD had her bhs beautifully and is now going thru a major mental block which actually pulled her down a level for this season to L 6. She can do round off's on beam beautifully. Now that L 7 training is near (again for her) she is scared to death of this skill, won't even do it on low beam. Her coaches do not like round offs on beam for L 7. What other skill can be done on beam to meet the aerial requirement that I might be able to mention to her?

Still hoping bhs comes back, she has 9 months to get it back but it's a major block...

Dive cartwheel, round off, front handspring - all these can count as the "flight".

It's common for kids w/o a bhs to do a double backwalkover for their series and then just do a round off in their dismount to meet requirements.

A bhs on beam is very important in the progression beyond L7 though - as is the giant on bars. Even though neither of these things are officially "required" in L7, that is the reason many coaches insist on them (even if it's just for the reason of uptraining the group for next year).

My first thought would have been a round off, our L 7's do CW, RO connection and score very well with it. They can do their BHS on the beam, but like your dd b/c of mental blocks, etc chose to compete the CW/RO series instead this year. If your dd can do BWO-BWO, I would go with that and then add in a dive cartwheel or FHS like gymmommy71 mentioned to meet the requirements if your coach is dead set against a RO.

There are several skills (mentioned by others) that will fulfill the requirement. However, it may be a moot point if your gym is one that won't budge on the BHS. Kipper's gym won't let a girl compete L6 without it, so I know it wouldn't be an option for her at L7. One of her team mates scratched beam half the season bc she "lost" her BHS. Blocks are an inevitable part of this sport. Hopefully your dd's coaches have a good strategy for getting her through this one. If she is stressed about summer training, it might be time to schedule a chat with her coach. You need to decide if you trust the coaches and believe know how to handle this. (frankly, some coaches really don't deal with this issue well). Advocate for her, but don't take away the opportunity wrapped in this obstacle. Overcoming her fear and competing a BHS could become her favorite memory from gymnastics, and something she is proud of the rest of her life.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back