WAG What should i do if i have to sneeze on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sarahthegymnast

I've had terrible allergies, and one of them includes sneezing. What should i do? I already took strong allergy medicine! :eek:

Try to stifle the sneeze until you get off the beam... also, make sure you try to blow your nose BEFORE going to any apparatus.

Reactions: sce
I have terrible allergies too. I'm not a gymnast, but in my experience, the adrenaline you get from performing will suppress your body's urge to sneeze. It's an actual biological thing, designed to allow us to run away or fight danger without being distracted by sneezing.

Good luck!!

haha, at states in March, I had to text DD's one coach who couldnt make it about that! I was so worried that she was going to sneeze at the same time as hitting the springboard or something! I had seen her sneezing right beforehand, and I was very worried if she would get a do-over or if she would be deducted for that. The coach started laughing and said its never happened that she seen, but if it did happen to dd, she would get to do it again with the 1st one not counting.

I highly doubt it would happen, I have never seen it happen or had it happen to me when I was a gymnast, you will be concentrating so much on the beam that I doubt it would happen

I have terrible allergies too. I'm not a gymnast, but in my experience, the adrenaline you get from performing will suppress your body's urge to sneeze. It's an actual biological thing, designed to allow us to run away or fight danger without being distracted by sneezing.

Good luck!!

Yes. I think about this constantly, but I have never sneezed or yawned while doing a beam routine.

Good luck!!

The "stress" and excitement of competing likely induces a biological stress response. This response involves a reduced immune response. Sneezing is part of immune responses (even though it is a reflex), so I imagine your likely hood of sneezing is reduces when competing for this reason.

If it happens just hold it in until getting off the beam I suppose. Although, personally, I feel it'd be better to sneeze while on the beam, take hte deduction, and then continue my routine without having to hold a sneeze in my nose. That just seems safer.

It's unlikely you will sneeze while competing because the adrenaline you will likely experience during competition is a natural, and very effective, antihistamine.

Licking the roof of your mouth supposedly suppresses the urge to sneeze, if you feel one coming. I don't think you would though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back