What skills did you/your DD struggle with?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is currently level 5 and cartwheel on beam is her enemy! Since the season is almost over her thoughts are I will try and get both feet to touch atleast...

Learning new skills has usually come fairly easily for DD...except the handstand!

For example:-

Kip learnt in one week, consistent in 2 months
Yurchenko timers learnt in two weeks, nice in 3 months
BHS on high beam learnt in one month, consistent in 3 months
Handstand hold learnt in 2 years, 6 years later still cannot hold for more than 15 secs!

DD struggled with form for years after team mates had nice handstands. She trains 10 press to handstands on beam every training and competed press to handstand mount on beam for 2 years and only missed it once! Its just those pesky floor handstands! I'm sure there is a parent on this board whose 5 year old daughter could give her some tips? DD has also struggled with clear hip to handstand for a year - now finally consistent!

I would say the skill I took the longest to get was my back-walkover....it seems weird but I had my backhandspring about a year before I got my walkover. My coach said it was due to inflexibility in my shoulders and back.

Single-leg-shoot-through on bars was a HUGE problem for me. I would get it and then lose it and get it again and lose it again. It was mostly fear but now I am through with the fear thing. I still fall backwards about half the time though... :p

Another struggle for me is just balance beam in general....it scares me to be up that high. I feel like I wobble on EVERYTHING!!!

I am currently struggling with my squat-on for bars. I have everything in the level 5 routine except for the squat on!! I have had my low and high bar kips for almost a year but that stupid squat-on is holding me back :/.....

As far as what comes easy.....probably back-extension rolls, front hip circles, dismounts on bars and beam (probably because I get to land ON THE GROUND haha), and vault. Vault has always been fun and easy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back