WAG What would decertification mean for us?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom4

Proud Parent
I am learning so much about how USAG works lately but still have so much to learn.

USAG has been given deadlines by which they need to accomplish certain tasks or they will be decertified as an organization.

If that happens, what does that mean for us?

Does it mean that immediately any USAG member gym's season is effectively over at that time?

Pardon me, please, as I try to learn about how all of this works.

IIRC, decertification would mean that the USOC no longer recognizes USAG as a member organization. Not sure there would be an immediate effect on JO.

I saw the USOC letter, did they put out a 2nd one with deadlines? THe one I saw indicated that they did not want to do this, and were given a chance to USAG to fix it.

I am learning so much about how USAG works lately but still have so much to learn.

USAG has been given deadlines by which they need to accomplish certain tasks or they will be decertified as an organization.

Does it mean that immediately any USAG member gym's season is effectively over at that time?

I think USAG could still exist and continue, but they would no longer be the organization that selects the team for the Olympics.

But I could be completely wrong.

Did something like this decertification happen to AAU years ago, I had heard that they used to be the way to the Olympics long ago...

Yeah. I just saw it. That's what I get for working today :)

I worry more about the men's side of gymnastics in this (not because I have a boy), because they would lose the OTC, eliminating where the national team trains. There is alos a JO club there that woudl probably be disbanded. The loss of sponsors hurts the men more too because they have so few, and most of them are adults who rely on this in order to continue training. I think the women's side is strong enough.

I agree that drastic measures have to be taken. I hope USAG complies IMMEDIATELY.

I have been stressing about this way too much this week...with a DD who is trying to qualify elite this year I'm so worried that she is going to qualify and then there won't even be a HOPES classic or championship to go to...which would break her heart and mine.

It means that usag would no longer be the feeding program for the elites. It would switch to another entity and basically destroy usag over time. That is what I understand

Reactions: sce
Not sure who reads their FB page but I just messaged USAG to please comply with USOC demands for the sake of all their athletes across the country.
Oh don't worry they will .... or they will negotiate . It's a game ended for them

Ok see that is what I was thinking. Is there really any question the USAG board will comply? That letter seemed pretty reasonable to me. What possible motivation could they have to not comply? Either way, they lose the opportunity to govern (or whatever) an Olympic sport, right? Isn't it better to take the high road and resign, even if some of them think it is not fair that they should have to be the ones to fall on their swords? What am I missing?

Ok see that is what I was thinking. Is there really any question the USAG board will comply? That letter seemed pretty reasonable to me. What possible motivation could they have to not comply? Either way, they lose the opportunity to govern (or whatever) an Olympic sport, right? Isn't it better to take the high road and resign, even if some of them think it is not fair that they should have to be the ones to fall on their swords? What am I missing?
Well .... the people complying will be resigning ... so.... motivation to keep a job

I just want to say my heart goes out to all of you over there in the US. This must be a very worrying time for so many gymnasts and so many clubs. Many, many gymnastics organisations from many countries look up to the USA as leaders in WAG. All that is going on can be very damaging to the reputation of gymnastics in general and to the individual clubs, coaches and gymnasts. Hang in there!

This makes me so angry! (I don't mean this the way some will read it. I mean how the actions of a few have affected so many in such a negative way.) Desertification would ultimately hurt the gymnasts, the ones who train and sweat and work so hard. I keep saying it, and some agree and some don't, that the present athletes and coaches are the ones now being punished by past actions of others. Sponsors leaving punishes the ones training elite today, decertification punishes the ones training today, the coaches and gym owners working hard today, the people who have changed the culture of the sport away from how it was in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s to be so much better today--they are the ones who now have to be concerned about their livelihood, their athletes, their reputation, they gyms. I understand action needs to be taken, but it seems like the demands are a little late. Where were these demands 10 years ago? Right now it seems like a kneejerk reaction by the USOC and the sponsors, more like a way to keep face in the public eye.

(I also feel like there's a bit of a bandwagon effect happening right now, which doesn't help. We need level-headed thinking and planning right now, not a bunch of people jumping to action for the sake of looking like they are taking action.)

This whole situation makes me so angry and sad. It sucks because I think Aly Raisman was right when she said the whole organization is rotting from the inside. But many of us USA parents have trusted our daughters (and sons) to this rotting program and it suddenly feels very unsafe and unsteady here.

I hope that Kerry Perry is up to the task of created real, measurable cultural change. I hope that the consequences of the horrific abuse so many little girls and young women suffered from do not trickle down to punish the thousands of little girls and young women in gymnastics today who are just trying to follow their dreams. I hope that gyms and coaches and athletes and parents can come through this even stronger, with amazing athletes who feel safe and parents who are encouraged to communicate with gyms and coaches. There is so much work to be done here.

This makes me so angry! (I don't mean this the way some will read it. I mean how the actions of a few have affected so many in such a negative way.) Desertification would ultimately hurt the gymnasts, the ones who train and sweat and work so hard. I keep saying it, and some agree and some don't, that the present athletes and coaches are the ones now being punished by past actions of others. Sponsors leaving punishes the ones training elite today, decertification punishes the ones training today, the coaches and gym owners working hard today, the people who have changed the culture of the sport away from how it was in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s to be so much better today--they are the ones who now have to be concerned about their livelihood, their athletes, their reputation, they gyms. I understand action needs to be taken, but it seems like the demands are a little late. Where were these demands 10 years ago? Right now it seems like a kneejerk reaction by the USOC and the sponsors, more like a way to keep face in the public eye.

(I also feel like there's a bit of a bandwagon effect happening right now, which doesn't help. We need level-headed thinking and planning right now, not a bunch of people jumping to action for the sake of looking like they are taking action.)

YES.

It means that usag would no longer be the feeding program for the elites. It would switch to another entity and basically destroy usag over time. That is what I understand

What entity? From where? Who? Would they just "pop" up? That uncertainty makes me uneasy.

I think USAG will comply but if they refuse, won't it only truly affect the elites and potential elites? USOC does not have any governance over the other USAG programs?

What entity? From where? Who? Would they just "pop" up? That uncertainty makes me uneasy.
They will comply , but should something happen a contingency plan is in the works. I suspect several

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back