Parents What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can understand where the OP is coming from as there are some clubs that do maybe 1, 2 or 3 comps a year max here at certain levels and my thinking would be, in that case, she can always go skating later. Luckily my area has 6 or 7 comps they enter so its not so much of an issue.

I seem to be in the minority, but I do limit my kids' "risky" excursions before important meets or performances (I have one dancer, one gymnast). I absolutely realize that accidents can, and do, happen anywhere and that doing something "risky" doesn't mean getting hurt. At my DDs ballet company, certain activities are forbidden during performance season (skiing and ice skating among them).
I guess I figure why risk something they have worked really, really hard for and look forward to all year..?
FWIW, my girls both understand and choose their sport/art form over unnecessary risk, every time. They know they can go rollerblading after season, or whatever, and they are fine with that. :)
Sure, it's not the end of the world to miss competing or performing but for lots of young athletes/performers, this is what their whole year of hard work leads up to. A year in a 10yos life is a long time, and of course in the big picture we as adults know it's nothing but a blip but to them, it's important. In my dancers case, she not only has herself to think of but also her obligation to her company because her being hurt affects THEM as well.
I think if this is the only competition your child will have this year, I would probably nix the skating and attend the party. :)
I don't judge people who think otherwise, at all. This is just our personal choice and I respect those who disagree. I'm not looking to bubble wrap my kids and can understand that some would think my restrictions during comp/performance season are a little silly but it works for us. :)

Reactions: COz
Definitely ask your Dd!!

As Coz suggests, maybe a compromise if your Dd is worried about injury.

When my CGM rears it's head I ask myself when Dd's old and sitting in her rocker on her front porch which would she regret missing- the one- off disco party or the one of many gym comps?

We had a similar scenario when Dd's school team qualified for a state bball tournament. She's IL 8 and it was a few weeks before nat clubs comp.

Dd played the bball tournament but we preventative strapped her knees and ankles for some extra support.

She was fine, had a fantastic bball tournament, and has since decided herself to retire from bball due to injury risk.

My ds is off snowboarding today. He had a meet yesterday and has no school tomorrow so his dad took him up. Unfortunately...gym season and ski season are the same, so we try o get him up as much as we can. He could get hurt. But I think if I restricted him from things during season, he would not enjoy gym as much. I think as he gets older, he is restricting a bit more himself (1-2 ski trips a year rather than every weekend.) He also misses practice for school dances and events.

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Well had a chat with DD, and she was worried too. We agreed that care needs to be taken as she's already suffering with a weakness in one wrist. So DD is going to be chief photographer instead so she doesn't miss out completely.

Currently she only has 3 competitions this year, March, September and November, and how she does in March dictates if she does the September competition, so it is pretty important she doesn't end up out through a preventable injury!

Starting to realise how stressful gymnastics is on a family!

It's any competitive activity really.
Whilst I was at school I missed out on various activities because I was worried about the risk of injury and how that would affect playing an instrument in various things.
Missing out was entirely my decision. I would have liked to participate in those activities with my friends, but I decided what was my priority and what risks I was willing to take.

I see you let her maker he decision which is what I would have done. That being said, I make my kids wear wrist guards when they skate/rollerblade. The reason for that is that rollerblades were first becoming popular. I swear, within a two week time span I had 5-10 friends break their wrist rollerblading. I still have PTSD from that.

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Well had a chat with DD, and she was worried too. We agreed that care needs to be taken as she's already suffering with a weakness in one wrist. So DD is going to be chief photographer instead so she doesn't miss out completely.

Currently she only has 3 competitions this year, March, September and November, and how she does in March dictates if she does the September competition, so it is pretty important she doesn't end up out through a preventable injury!

Starting to realise how stressful gymnastics is on a family!

I'm glad you two were able to come to that decision together!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back