WAG What would you say now to yourself then?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

I have been wanting to ask this question for a while but work got in the way and well anyways.
Imagine back to your very first day walking into the gym for gymnastics.

If you could tell yourself then of lessons, tips and some sound advice of what you know now that you could have told yourself then - what would it be? Anything. Getting the right grips. Learning this skill first over this one. Perfecting it this way instead of that way. Managing stress, nerves and being the new person. Anything you want.

I want to accomplish two things. one, I AM the new girl on the block in this sport, but also looking to remind others to remember what their first day was like, or maybe someone else who is just starting out could read these tips and words of wisdom. Sure, we might be in different gyms and on different teams, but we also are ALL gymnasts and I think its important to learn from each other and support each other.

ANnnndd GO!

I probably would've said, "Choose pretty workout leos because the ones you have now are really bad." :p In all honesty, I would've told myself to work hard in the gym and don't be scared to try a new skill, especially since the coach would be spotting you (me).

Haha nice to know! I will keep the - Don't be scared to try a new skill in mind! Thanks!

You're welcome :D:cool: Only meant to post the green smiley but oh well :rolleyes:

I think I would say 'aim high, you can do better than you think' - When I started trampoline again I thought that once I could do a barani I would be done. Then I learned to barani after about a year and there was SOOO much more to do... bring on the doubles!

I think I'd also say to myself, thinking about my first experiences of gymnastics when I was really young, 'dont ever give up, and when that stupid (insert expletive here) tells you that kids with medical problems don't belong in her class, find a new class!' Whenever I see people doing artistic I regret that I didn't do that :'(

I would tell myself (as a teenager) to do anything it takes to go to a better gym. Offer to work there and pay for it yourself, just do ANYTHING for decent coaching.

1.) work as hard in life as you do in the gym

2.) love your teammates even if they're all buckle heads

3.) just because you move states doesn't mean you have to quit

4.) your gonna get hurt, and it's gonna make such as stronger gymnast

5.) skills get harder but get back up never quit

6.) when you cousin join gymnastics because of you, it means your a pretty great cousin and gymnast

Nothing :) It's about the journey for me and up till now it has been great! Good days, bad days, falls, injuries, reaching goals...it's all part of it and will be part of the time that is yet to come and I wouldn't wanna have it spoiled for the world.
I have come so much further than I thought I would and I'm looking forward to see where it takes me.

Nothing :) It's about the journey for me and up till now it has been great! Good days, bad days, falls, injuries, reaching goals...it's all part of it and will be part of the time that is yet to come and I wouldn't wanna have it spoiled for the world.
I have come so much further than I thought I would and I'm looking forward to see where it takes me.
Totally agree with this:)

I would tell myself (as a teenager) to do anything it takes to go to a better gym. Offer to work there and pay for it yourself, just do ANYTHING for decent coaching.
I was looking at this very same idea. Trying to find an administrative position at a gym to be able to use the equipment, its a win win if you ask me. But I am having a hard time finding a gym not only for this idea but to get into Apparently in this area there is a rule, or maybe its just the gyms I have looked at thus far that say you can't use the equipment if you're over 23. I shall keep looking though!

You can never go wrong from the Mom perspective. Regardless of who's the Mom giving the advice, that's for sure! haha

I'm seeing all gymnast answers, so I'm going to answer from the Mom perspective.

1. Change happens.

2. Sometimes all you can do is say "Yeah, today sucked, but I love you anyway.".

3. No underwear under leotards. Even for the little kids.
Well with the leo thing, we aren't allowed to wear underwear under leos at meets. It shows. Where coaches take exception is the 5-6 yr. olds.

I would tell myself that my value isn't determined by my performance at meets. A successfully completed skill in training is worth the same as a successfully completed skill in a meet.

I would tell myself keep going to the physio, keep doing rehab exercises. 10 years after quitting, you'll be able to do any activity you want without pain (And that is really the case!). I would tell myself way to go girl, you're handling injuries better than some adults!

I would tell myself, be grateful for all the work your coaches do with you. Being a coach myself now, I can really see how much this job make you work much more than the number of hours you spend in the gym. (somebody can tell me how to stop thinking about possible drills when I'm stuck in traffic??) :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back