WAG Whats your typical practice like?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone I'm hopefully starting gymnastics this December and was wondering what everyone's practice is usually like. For example What order do you do things in and how long on each event? Any info would be great thanks

I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible haha, I know what boat you're in and when I first started I wanted to know EVERYTHING about "typical" practices. First thing you should know, there is a big difference between the typical recreational practice and competitive practice. Since I started with rec and eventually transitioned to team, I can explain both haha.

Rec: Generally a recreational beginner class can run anywhere from 1 - 1/12 hours. At my gym, a bunch of rec kids are all called out to all warm up on the main floor together. This general warmup is exactly 15 minutes, the first 5 minutes is spent doing some type of cardio/strength (jumping jacks, high knees, push-ups...etc) and then the last 10 minutes is reserved for full body stretching. Then the kids break up into smaller groups and go with their designated coach. Our class sizes max out at 8 kids, so you can expect a number like that. Since our rec beginner classes are only an hour, after warming up you have time for THREE rotations. Since there is 4 events (and at our gym it's more like 5 because they include tumble trak as an event) you do an event like bars or beam every other week. You usually do floor every week. But yeah, so the first two events are 15 minutes each, and the last event is 10 minutes. It's usually station work, so for example if you were beam they might have 5 stations that everyone rotates through. One beam might be releve walks, another is kicks, one is handstands, another is jumps/turns...you get the point. You'll start at a beam and take turns until everyone rotates so everyone gets a chance on every station. You'll probably rotate every 2-4 minutes. And that's a rec class!

Competitive: So the a competitive practice is much longer. Average is about 4 hours a practice at least 3-5 days a week. I'll use my practice as an example...so my practice is 3 hours long. The first 30 minutes is spent warming up. We run for 5 minutes and then stretch for 10 minutes. Most of the stretching time is doing oversplits, but it's a full body stretching routine. Then we use the last 15 minutes to do some light conditioning. We have 1 rope climb, 10 leg lifts, 10 upper half leg lifts, 10 chin-ups, and press handstands (either 5 from a sit, 10 from a stand, or 30 against a wall). Then we begin our events. Each event is 30 minutes long (we go to all four). After the first two events we have 30 minutes of conditioning. Then we have our hour and go to our last two remaining events. We stretch for the last 10 minutes, mainly just doing splits on a line and holding them for a minute each. Since it's competition season, our practice is really just routine work. So on bars we're working on our first halves (bar skills on the low bar), second halves (bar skills on the high bar), connections, and hopefully full routines. Beam and floor is a lot of dance throughs (doing the routine without the skills/tricks/flips/tumbling). Vault is really just working on your competitive vault, maybe a few drills on the way back.

Hope that was helpful! Have anymore questions, let me know :) and good luck!!! Gymnastics is a wonderful sport that you can very easily fall in love with.

Every gym is different. For competitive my gym does:
We start with either 10 min of jogging, skipping, jumping, etc OR 100 jumping jacks, 50 high knees, 25 butt kicks, etc. Then we stretch for about 15-20 minutes. Then we typically do conditioning for about 30 minutes. Then we split into groups and go to 3 events for 30 minutes each. Then for the remaining time we do flexibility/stretch down.

Really want to be the magic 8 ball, question vague, ask again later

L4-9 3 hour

Warm Up and conditioning
Follow by event practice (may include uptraining unless a meet is scheduled)

Event practice includes additional conditioning.

Examples

Vault
You vault
Get corrections.
Rope climb (arms only)
Press handstand, hop to mat,
Plank to start of vault
Repeat

Bars,
Bar with coach, get corrections
Next bar with corrections
Press handstand
Gut busters (hang from bar, crunches)
Another bar, kip practice or hip circles etc....
Repeat.

End might be fun on tumble track with up skills

Practice achievements, buh bye.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back