WAG When are competition levels decided?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommyo2az

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Just trying to get an idea of when other gyms decide what level girls will compete at?
Dd's gym is deciding at the end of this month for the spring (Jan - May) season. Feels a little early to me, but what do I know, lol?

DD is worried that her bar routine is "ugly" (level 4) and kips are bent arm.

Ugly at this stage is okay -- she's got several months to polish. Just do those routines and skills as that's what coaches are looking at -- do they have the skills well enough now + 4 months of practicing and polishing to compete well at XX level in Jan? No one expects them to be competition ready now, just to have the needed skills with a certain level of proficiency.

YDDs levels will be decided in December, for competition beginning in January (she does T&T though, so they change levels late and often in our experience). ODDs level was supposed to be decided at the end of July for September (hasn't happened), but they also decided the January starters levels at that time too.

Our season will begin at the beginning of November. Levels will be "officially" decided by mid-September... but many of the girls already know their levels (like those moving to Level 6 but not doing Jr. High team were told to pick floor music and get their routines choreographed. Same for Xcel Gold and Platinum). HC has longer to decide where the Jr. High girls will be when the season ends - those that also compete for us. Either they will return to their level from last year (the L6 and L7s and Xcel Golds that aren't ready to move up), move up a level (the L4 and L5s and Xcel Golds that are ready for Platinum), switch to Xcel (the L3s from last year that want to keep their middle school routines) or jump back into JO levels (Xcel Platinum will score out of L5 twice to compete L6 for the rest of the season).

We decide at the beginning of June what levels they compete for their season that starts in September.

Compulsory girls, usually first part of summer, June, but season starts in mid-August. Optional girls who start in Jan. little bit more flexibility and uncertainty. Sometimes though levels are determined rt after states.

This is the biggest question on my mind right now! Lol! We switched gyms 7 weeks ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how things work here. I don't want to look like new-guy-CGM, so I'm just going with the flow right now and not asking too many questions(very hard for my type A personality!). Summer schedule ends 8/29 and fall schedule starts 9/8, so my guess is sometime during that week off...our first meet won't be until about mid-November probably. At this point she is on the L3 team, which was a tough pill to swallow since the plan at the old gym was to score out of 4/5 and start optionals, but she swallowed her pride and had accepted it. But now there's been some talk of putting her on the 4/5 team and I'm afraid she's getting her hopes up!!! I think it will still be 3 (her bar routine is also "ugly" still, though HUGELY improving) but I'm crossing all fingers and toes they give her a chance! Good luck! Hope we both find out soon...

Our schedule for transition from summer to fall is the same as yours, Mrs. Puma, but for both sides, the first meet isn't until December. I expect that the boys' coach will have levels fairly firmly set when he makes up the fall workout groups, but will leave himself some wiggle room to make final determinations by late September/early October. There are only a handful of boys on the fence between L6 and L7 and between L7 and L8 -- everyone else already knows. On the girls' side, the coaches will make most decisions in the next few weeks but leave a few girls hanging, possibly as late as late October. Of course if something like backwards trouble on beam develops and slows down a projected trajectory, that can matter too.

At this point, I am 95% sure I have two L8s. Anyone want to start a Valium fund for me specifically for vault rotations at meets?

Competition season practice groups will be determined in the next couple weeks. Compulsory girls will know then. They are a little more flexible with optionals and will even move mid season if that one missing skill appears.

Our first gym used to decide in June with no flexibility for movement. Seemed way too early for a season that started 5 months later.

At DD's gym, it looks like they are going to wait until October before giving any official word. At the beginning of summer, DD and her group were told by the HC that she is expecting them to compete level 8 this upcoming season. :eek: We will see soon enough, I guess.

Our schedule for transition from summer to fall is the same as yours, Mrs. Puma, but for both sides, the first meet isn't until December. I expect that the boys' coach will have levels fairly firmly set when he makes up the fall workout groups, but will leave himself some wiggle room to make final determinations by late September/early October. There are only a handful of boys on the fence between L6 and L7 and between L7 and L8 -- everyone else already knows. On the girls' side, the coaches will make most decisions in the next few weeks but leave a few girls hanging, possibly as late as late October. Of course if something like backwards trouble on beam develops and slows down a projected trajectory, that can matter too.

At this point, I am 95% sure I have two L8s. Anyone want to start a Valium fund for me specifically for vault rotations at meets?

I'm a pharmacist, does that help?! LOL!!! I cannot even fathom these things yet...good luck!

Tentatively in the spring for compulsory girls with a potential change in August depending on how summer training goes. My girls compete in the spring and it is unlikely that their level would change now.

We don't compete until January but my coach has pretty much decided what xcel levels everyone will compete. A few girls may end up competing gold instead of silver but most of us will compete silver. She did have us all register as bronze when we registered with USAG though, apparently you can't move back a level after you've registered as a higher one? Can someone let me know if that's true? My coach was kind of confused about that, it's my gyms first year of xcel in a long time.

This is the biggest question on my mind right now! Lol! We switched gyms 7 weeks ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how things work here. I don't want to look like new-guy-CGM, so I'm just going with the flow right now and not asking too many questions(very hard for my type A personality!). Summer schedule ends 8/29 and fall schedule starts 9/8, so my guess is sometime during that week off...our first meet won't be until about mid-November probably. At this point she is on the L3 team, which was a tough pill to swallow since the plan at the old gym was to score out of 4/5 and start optionals, but she swallowed her pride and had accepted it. But now there's been some talk of putting her on the 4/5 team and I'm afraid she's getting her hopes up!!! I think it will still be 3 (her bar routine is also "ugly" still, though HUGELY improving) but I'm crossing all fingers and toes they give her a chance! Good luck! Hope we both find out soon...

YES, exactly this! We are in the same position. DD has been training 4 all summer, and did Xcel bronze last spring. I have heard rumblings that l4 girls are "not ready". DD is feeling the pressure, and would just love her to know her level and not have that to worry about on top of school!
She has never learned that l3 routines so I am hoping that is not her fallback level, I am guessing it will be Xcel Silver.

Competition season runs approximately November - May. Summer training begins at the end of June, grouped by anticipated competitive level. Competitive levels and fall groupings are finalized at the end of summer training in late August. Girls who don't have their skills by the end of summer training are supposedly moved back a level, but based on what I've seen and heard that doesn't seem like it actually happens very often.

I am getting a little nervous because the L3 group has only been working on the mill circle and front hip circle for a couple of weeks, and Tinker Bell is going to miss practice all of next week due to a camp scheduling issue (note to gym: don't blame me when you make a last-minute change in your practice schedule and I already have child care lined up and paid for to fit the old schedule!). Hopefully it will all work out. Only one out of 13 new L3s has her mill circle and FHC yet, and I can't believe they would send virtually the entire group back to L2, especially since the first meet isn't until November.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back