WAG When do they announce who made the TOPS A and B teams?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think its a mis-nomer to say the DIC invites denote that those kids are more talented, better, higher in the hierarchy than the Tops A kids...this statement alone proves that:

After the first day of testing which was skills the coaches were told that she will be skipping TOPs and that She is invited to DIC.

Invites to DIC were mostly given for a good skills day- having nothing to do with PA in most instances- I think its a fine-line to say there is a clear hierarchy. I think bogwoppit's opinions make the most sense as far as why they were invited, etc. I also think this is the first of many changes we are gong to see in this new quad.

I suspect we will see changes to the system of Tops and DIC and Dev camp coming through in the next year. I am sure it will be made much clearer by next summer for the next lot of Tops kids. Basically it seems like Valery is cherry picking kids from Tops testing and other places and drawing them into DIC where nationals staff can keep and eye on them and their progress and also have a hand in guiding their development. Seems very good idea to me. Maximum kids being guided.

Well, I know the ones on the roster for Nov. DIC are paying! [emoji12] Truthfully, it wouldn't bother me if they didn't have to 'pay.' Even if I did. I know what my gymmie is getting. I know it's well worth it's price tag. BUT what I meant was that I am concerned about the security of the girls positions that already attend these camps (not my DD's place as we have already been told what's next for her), but what about the other girls? Surely he's not going to make some 40 cuts?? Right??

I know a lot of girls aged out of Development camp proper (they age out the year they turn 14) or are near to it and most have been moved up to National Team camp. So there are spaces in Development camp to fill. I would suspect they will move the older and longer standing members of DIC up to Development camp to fill those spaces. I think around 20 of the younger ones will stay in DIC making the camp around 60 or so. The over 10s I reckon they will maybe move 10 up and drop the rest. I think DIC is moving to become a younger section of kids mostly under 10 and Dev camp is moving to become mostly 10-14 with the odd few exceptional talents in from the start.

Coaches that follow the staffs training and instructions are key. This may also explain why some of the gyms they have invited more than you might expect. Because they know that those kids are getting the right training and WILL improve, and they already know they can work with the coaches concerned. This is also why an established elite gym is a better bet because they are already working and succeeding the way the national coaches want them too. Kids pushing up from a newly elite gym are more of an unknown.

This is huge. If a gym won't work with national coaches they won't be selected. It's a big difference- national coaches often sit down with an athletes coach and draw up a plan for the next year together- what comps, internationals if any, what skills and where to work on. If the club won't do that they will only see that athlete once or twice a year at camps, not enough to gauge whether they'll be ready for comps etc....

I think its a mis-nomer to say the DIC invites denote that those kids are more talented, better, higher in the hierarchy than the Tops A kids...this statement alone proves that:

After the first day of testing which was skills the coaches were told that she will be skipping TOPs and that She is invited to DIC.

Invites to DIC were mostly given for a good skills day- having nothing to do with PA in most instances- I think its a fine-line to say there is a clear hierarchy. I think bogwoppit's opinions make the most sense as far as why they were invited, etc. I also think this is the first of many changes we are gong to see in this new quad.

And really, they weren't always even seen or asked after all skills had taken place.

Currently, DIC is above TOPS A & B in the hierarchy. This is why you don't see any of the girls currently attending these camps in the TOPS program. I may be wrong, but i think the new invitees were also told they should no longer participate in the TOPS program, but I could be wrong; HOWEVER, that doesn't necessarily mean that the girls chosen for DIC are 'better' than the TOPS teams, just like any other gymnastics argument can be made that it depends on the day how well a gymnast performs or presents and ultimately, how they rank. I do feel that many changes are on the horizon, though.

I know a lot of girls aged out of Development camp proper (they age out the year they turn 14) or are near to it and most have been moved up to National Team camp. So there are spaces in Development camp to fill. I would suspect they will move the older and longer standing members of DIC up to Development camp to fill those spaces. I think around 20 of the younger ones will stay in DIC making the camp around 60 or so. The over 10s I reckon they will maybe move 10 up and drop the rest. I think DIC is moving to become a younger section of kids mostly under 10 and Dev camp is moving to become mostly 10-14 with the odd few exceptional talents in from the start.

So you feel that the ones that are most in jeopardy of losing their DIC invite are those 10-11 year olds that have not been moved up, yet? Just curious.....well actually, I am concerned for a few long-standing 10-11 year olds, but not my long-standing DIC invitee, assuming Nov DIC goes off without a hitch, lol.

Currently, DIC is above TOPS A & B in the hierarchy. This is why you don't see any of the girls currently attending these camps in the TOPS program. I may be wrong, but i think the new invitees were also told they should no longer participate in the TOPS program, but I could be wrong; HOWEVER, that doesn't necessarily mean that the girls chosen for DIC are 'better' than the TOPS teams, just like any other gymnastics argument can be made that it depends on the day how well a gymnast performs or presents and ultimately, how they rank. I do feel that many changes are on the horizon, though.

TOPs is a program for guiding and developing potential elite gymnasts. It helps gyms get athletes on the right track. It allows the national staff to see and evaluate them. I think the idea always was to talent scout from TOPs into the development system. The 2 are sort of different really.

I think selecting for DIC mostly depends on the 'potential' they see. So may have nothing to do with their current performance, more their potential performance given the right circumstances.

I do know that girls can be kept on the sidelines for a long time if their coaches do not implement the advice of national staff and they don't see the changes or improvements they wanted. These girls eventually 'age out' of the system as they don't show the progress required.

So you feel that the ones that are most in jeopardy of losing their DIC invite are those 10-11 year olds that have not been moved up, yet? Just curious.....well actually, I am concerned for a few long-standing 10-11 year olds, but not my long-standing DIC invitee, assuming Nov DIC goes off without a hitch, lol.

I think that makes most sense. Younger girls are given more time to make the improvements required. How old are the oldest girls at DIC ?
I think the next year is probably a transition year into a slightly different system. Sometimes it is also luck of the draw. Kids leave and they fill the spaces, fingers crossed to all of those already at DIC, I am sure all will be made clear at the next camp.

TOPS A tends to focus more on HOPES compulsory skills, where DIC focuses more on HOPES optional skills. My guess is that the gymnasts pulled from National Testing to DIC showed readiness to Valeri, in particular on bars during their testing. I also heard that Kim Riley said at the parents meeting another 30-40 A or B campers are also expected to receive DIC invitations after TOPS Camps in December.

I thought I heard 20-30 in the parent meeting, but that was before so many invites went out at testing. I wouldn't be surprised to see more added after camps, but I don't know that it will be as many.

Yea he did say that but that was also before he saw all the girls at testing, I think more will be added after TOPs A & B camp but not as many

I thought I heard 20-30 in the parent meeting, but that was before so many invites went out at testing. I wouldn't be surprised to see more added after camps, but I don't know that it will be as many.

last DIC had 53 girls. So I reckon they might go to 60. Tops B used to have around 60 but not sure how many now.

Just curious, but what do the DIC kids "move up" to? Hopes? Or some other form of camp/team? What min age do you need to be to be moved up to whatever this thing is that these 10-11 year olds aren't in yet?

Just curious, but what do the DIC kids "move up" to? Hopes? Or some other form of camp/team? What min age do you need to be to be moved up to whatever this thing is that these 10-11 year olds aren't in yet?
Hopes kids can be in DIC.

The step above DIC is Developmental Camp. You can be the same age in either camp from what I understand.

All of this comes down having the potential to be seen. Beyond that is a upper level coaching decision on who goes on and where. And many factors go into that, beyond how well you "test"

ETA, it is highly unlikely they would put any thing down as a hard and fast rule. They want to keep it fluid and have the ability to change their minds.

We had a girl from our gym make the developmental team...She was also the top scoring level 6 in the nation last year. She is an incredible gymnast!

I had to look up who that was on mymeetscores and if it is the right girl, she IS amazing. My dd competed in the same session as her at L6 State. Your gym did very well there. That must be so exciting for her and for the gym. Best of luck to her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back