Where do my feet go?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I've been working front hand front and front hand layouts off the rod into the pit with a mat lately, but I have a problem: I cannot seem to find the perfect place for my feet to rebound into the tuck. Often, I punch too far and I just shoot out, while other times I barely make it to the pit. I always start in the same place, do the same steps and same front handspring though...hmmm...any thoughts?:confused:

my thoughts are that you are NOT starting in the same place OR you are adding steps. try putting a foam cube or a sock down where you place your hands on the round off. that might help.:)

Front handspring fronts to pit

Sounds like you are not putting forth the exact same effort (and same shapes/ tightness) on the front handspring. If you squeeze your body into a tight arch, count your steps, and start in the same place, you should be fine every time. Here is something I have my gymnasts do: Put down a hurdle line on the floor (a line with chalk or a piece of tape, that you cannot step past), and just on the other side of that (closer to the pit) put down a flat mat like a sting mat, or a cartwheel mat, or even some cubes from the pit. You have to hurdle before the hurdle line each time, and your hands have to reach over the mat/cubes each time. I suppose you could just use two pieces of tape and step no further than the first but reach beyond the second one. That should give you some consistency.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back